Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is really better than an Apple TV 1 ??? I mean REALLY

Sorry for the long post/background...
    I have had a few hard drive based media players in the past and we used Windows Media Center on a desktop recording from the cable box and outputting to our main TV for a few years before cable PVRs were all the rage. Last year I discovered XBMC.
    I did a bit of reading and found out that Apple TVs could be jail broken and used for XBMC. We got a good deal on an Apple TV 3 and after looking into it a bit further found out that that version was not "jailbreakable"! We did play around with it and were able to explore and play some of our media on a hard drive with the assistance of PLEX. Browsing cover Art versus title was great. The remote was good except when having to enter words.

After doing a bit more reading I found a couple of Apple TV 1s on **** that already had the Broadcom Crystal HD cards installed (which allow you to playback 1080p video). I bought those. With the HD video cards installed we loose wireless ability but the house is wired suffciently. We run either Crystalbuntu or OpenElec. XBMC seems to work fine really. Occasional lock ups and dead streams of course. MASHUP was are "go to" until it went belly up. Love the ability to play media off a USB stick or hard drive. It plays whatever you through at it and has plenty of options for video and audio decoding.

I read recently that OpenElec was no longer going to be supporting Apple TV 1 and I see Crystalbuntu's developer is creating OMC and his own hardware. So, in my mind he'll stop supporting the Apple TV 1 very soon to. Also XBMC/Kodi announced they won't support the Broadcom Crystal HD card going forward (I think there is a work around for now however).

It appears the Apple TV 1 is becoming a dinosaur and I was looking at perhaps selling my boxes while there is still value to be had in them, and upgrading to something new. Minix Neo X8-H Plus perhaps, or a lower end MINIX.

I guess my main question (if you skipped all the reading above) is What XBMC TV box will play all my media via network share or USB, and run XBMC smoothly. I don't want a full fledged desktop since it's always on and power consumption is a minor issue. Price is a bit of a factor since we need to cover 2 or 3 or 4 TVs . NUCs were eliminated due to price. I might consider also trying to use Plexbmc to handle the local media.

I'll appreciate any and all responses/advice.
    Thanks,
    TheHammer

No one thinks their box is better than an Apple TV 1?
    or maybe everyone thinks their box is better??

I can't convince myself, anyone "upgrade" from an ATV 1 and regret it or love it?

The Hammer

Comment

I think you can keep your "designed in cupertino" box,
      it's garanteed to have better software and more stable hardware than any "designed and built in shenzen" TV box.

Comment

Originally posted by raxy View Post
        I think you can keep your "designed in cupertino" box,
        it's garanteed to have better software and more stable hardware than any "designed and built in shenzen" TV box.
        Fact is that I don't use the software designed for it "in cupertino". I use either Crystalbuntu or OpenElec. I have no issue with the hardware other than it's aging and the components are not more upgradable for the most part. The low 256MB of RAM being the sorest spot, and the Crystal HD card already being done. The internal hard drive can be increased in size but I normally use a USB hdd for local media.
        These "built in shenzen" boxes must have some stability or they wouldn't sell so many.
        Perhaps I should be going with Plex and a WD??

The Hammer

Comment

Pi 2
          Currently Using:
          2 x Nvidia Shield TV | MiniMX III
          Retired Devices:
          MiniMX III-II | Mk808b Pro | Mk808b Plus | Raspberry Pi 1 + 2 | UBOX R89 | MK808 | MK808b | CS008 | X1 4K (rk3288_809) | CYX_809III | Ouya | CX-919 | S82 Plus | Tronstmart R68

Comment

Working...
          X