Clearing Kodi Cache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearing Kodi Cache

I noticed on my TV box, my storage was getting low and Kodi was taking up 2Gb of space. I cleared the cache using the maintenance tool and also used ccleaner, but there was still a large file in: /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/temp, to be exact filecache001.cache. Is it safe just to delete this file? Can I just delete the whole temp folder? I also have the 0 cache setting enabled, which I believe is how the file got so large.

I did temporarily move the file to see if it would effect buffering using Genesis and tested 2 movies I had watch the night before and it seemed to buffer a lot more slowly... But I thought this could be do to the time of day or the links changing for the streams. Anyways any help would be appreciated on how to get some storage space back.

I use Clean Master on my UT3, seems to work pretty well. I usually run it after using the box. I don't use Kodi a lot right now, so I can't say if it will do better or worse than CCleaner.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I've tried Clean Master, but the newer version sucks. Might try to find an older version, and see if it helps. Anyone else have any more suggestions?

Comment

Can anyone tell me, is it safe to delete the temp file?

Comment

No one? Anyways I've watched the file over the last couple of days and it has not got any bigger even after watching a bunch of streaming movies. Still would like to know if the "filecache001.cache" file plays any part in buffering streaming content and if it is safe to delete?

Comment

Originally posted by cadurling View Post
            No one? Anyways I've watched the file over the last couple of days and it has not got any bigger even after watching a bunch of streaming movies. Still would like to know if the "filecache001.cache" file plays any part in buffering streaming content and if it is safe to delete?
            I run SPMC, I am also a noobie with very little Kodi/XBMC/SPMC experience, so this may be irrelevant.
            I have found no file with that name.
            Have you tried it again after you temporarily moved the file?
            Maybe some of these links will have the answer...
            Link 1
            Link 2 <-- Has similar problem
            Video
            Video
            Regarding the vid links, I have not used or installed any of the plugins/repositories mentioned in the vids. So please do not consider my posting of the links, as an endorsement or testimony as to their nature, purpose, usefulness, security, suitability or legality.
            I just thought you might hear something that will put you on to a solution.
            If you are lucky, and I hope you are, you will get a response from a more experienced forum member.
            For now, I will return my sidearm to it's holster and quit taking these shots in the dark.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I have already checked out all the links the problem is none say it is safe to delete the filecache001.cache file or where it comes from. I did try streaming temporary after moving the file and streaming seemed slower so it is now back in the temp folder. My only guess it is part of the advanced xml file and allows the 0 cache tweak to store it's buffered stream there. Really though I have no idea if this is true, just my best guess. Usually in a situation like this Google is my best friend, but no info is found for this file.

Comment

Nobody?

Comment

I have deleted those cache files manually on several occasions to free up space and Kodi still worked just fine. I am trying to find an app that will do that clearing automatically.

Comment

Can anyone tell me, is it safe to delete the temp file?
                    Just so that the next bloke that stumbles across this post has a clear answer - Don't delete the entire folder.
                    However, it is safe to delete ALL CONTENTS of the folder. Open it up and delete everything in there if you want. It is safe to do so.
                    Kodi Wiki can help with Advanced Settings and Saving Disk Space in your Kodi set up
                    Hope this helps somebody.

Comment

just use schsims auto clear cache addon also donate to support him
                      Bugs are Sons of Glitches!

If you like my work and it's helped you, you can always shout me a beer or two Click - Here

Links : Visit JustMe ROMs - EM8 Square Roms - EM8 OpenELEC Rom - ADB GUI

JustMe

Comment

Thanks for the response. I've tried Clean Master, but the newer version sucks. Might try to find an older version, and see if it helps. Anyone else have any more suggestions?
                        Hey Cadurling, perform the following steps, it might help:
                        1. Download Easy Advance Settings add-on
                        2. Go to the advance setting and make changes to cachemembuffersize as 139460608, buffermode as 1, and readbufferfactor as 20.
                        3. Apply the changes.

Hope this works. For detailed article on this please visit our blog:
                        We cover all the latest tips and tricks for the Amazon Firestick and FireTV. Unlock everything and open up a whole new world of entertainment.

Comment

It's well worth checking out this little tool that has quite a few interesting features.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=307919

I just used it on a couple of Windows and Kodi installations and it found more junk than the regular cleaners out there.

One or two minor bugs but nothing that will damage your setup.
                          R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Working...
                          X