• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kodi 17 for Pre Android 5 devices

Working well on my KitKat Box.

kodi-20160311-11912ea-master-armeabi-v7a

That's a really old Kodi.
    It is an alpha version full of bugs.
    Kodi 17 final will only be released after a few months.
    Better stay with Kodi 16.1 and when Kodi 17 final is released, people should upgrade to a Lollipop or Marshmallow device if they still use KitKat.
    KitKat devices will just not have the updated codecs and Mediacodec to run Kodi 17 correctly.

Comment

this (kodi-20160311-11912ea) version been working without any issue for me,

Kodi 16.1 has a major problem with live streaming,

Since Kodi 15 and now 16, while watching, UK TV mostly, stream/picture will pause sometimes, and continues after few seconds, with no audio and picture stutter, and does not recover.
      Have to manually stop and start, also happened a lot while watching recent UEFA Euro 2016 even under windows.

Here`s an example.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Yc...ature=youtu.be

Tried various librtmp incarnations, and various kodi 16 versions, NTMC SPMC ZDMC `SuperCeleron`s Kodi` all have the same problem.

Kodi 14 and 17 work fine with Live TV, resumes playback properly all day long.

Last edited by Johnoo; 07-16-2016, 10:37.

Comment

Many thanks for this pointer, Johnoo. I've not been able to get a way to upgrade my Cubetalk 9X to beyond Kitkat, and it is still serving me quite well. The resource will enable me try 17 on it, even if it will be just for a couple months.

Thanks again.

P34c3

Comment

Well if Kodi devs have no plans to support kitkat, I sure hope someone can manage to patch some fixes to keep these old antique 6 month old quad core 4.4 boxes running. Sounds like some typical corporate planned obsolescence. Irresponsible and unacceptable! If I wanted this kind of BS, I would have bought a bunch of Apple TV boxes!

Comment

Quad cores are 4 years old. Sometimes they get left behind. Most good suppliers still updating devices.
            Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

But to all the millions of people with boxes stuck below 5.0, toss them in the trash and get a marshmallow box. Then pray to your favorite deity that whatever 'ARM 9 trillion and 99.95...' manufacturer, that you're at the mercy of, releases an Android 8.0 ROM a year and 6 months from now. Because, "fool me twice... yeah go ahead and fool me twice". Nope, no thanks. My next TV box will be a second hand windows 10 PC. Kodi devs aren't planning on locking out 7 year old intel i5's are they? Please let me know now if they are, please for Christ sakes, let us all know now.

Comment

Not that I know but maybe Kodi gone and replaced with plex or something else in years to come. Or pirate apk not able to install then life go back to playing only your media and few good apk for that already...

or Bill Gates buys kodi
                Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
                  Quad cores are 4 years old. Sometimes they get left behind. Most good suppliers still updating devices.
                  Its not really about quad-core
                  Those bigLittle units are not anywhere near as usefully as the claim...
                  Nor do the get better support / android version upgrades or make the video quality look better (Sadly)

Arm devices are just made to be thrown away...it seems (esp allwinner)
                  Kodi team just made the throwing away part..go faster
                  So, my advice buy them cheap...

But then again
                  most units with amlogic s805/s802/s812 are in luck...as there are projects like OpenElec and Libreelec
                  To still run your favorite Kodi version.. (kzsaq /codesnake/Demetris/etc have really worked hard)

But I agree.. If you wish LongTime support a Pc with intel x86 cpu comes highly recommended
                  If you are lucky (with hw setup) you can even dual boot: libreelec/ android x86 / Windows/ linux

But then again..if you upgrade your PC.. With for example a harddisk or new GPU
                  You might be paying more..then a full working cheap android tvbox

And here my thoughts end ...Cheers..

Comment

Allwiener yup never again.... Ya had to bring that device up....lol

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
                      But then again..if you upgrade your PC.. With for example a harddisk or new GPU.
                      You might be paying more..then a full working cheap android tvbox
                      Exactly. Earlier this year I invested €230 for the new NVidia Shield TV box. Couldn't be happier.

Koying : Shield w/SPMC 16.6.0 FTW!
                      Last edited by Molle; 04-14-2017, 05:57.
                      NVidia Shield TV 2015 16 GB || Stock
                      NVidia Shield TV 2017 16 GB || Stock
                      Buy me a beer?

Comment

Originally posted by relaxxxrrr View Post
                        But to all the millions of people with boxes stuck below 5.0, toss them in the trash and get a marshmallow box. Then pray to your favorite deity that whatever 'ARM 9 trillion and 99.95...' manufacturer, that you're at the mercy of, releases an Android 8.0 ROM a year and 6 months from now. Because, "fool me twice... yeah go ahead and fool me twice". Nope, no thanks. My next TV box will be a second hand windows 10 PC. Kodi devs aren't planning on locking out 7 year old intel i5's are they? Please let me know now if they are, please for Christ sakes, let us all know now.
                        Well if Kodi upgrades the Min. DirectX Level so who knows if with Kodi 20 they decide to switch to DirectX 12 only then your i5 is done...or you need to buy a new GPU for 50-100$ which is also the price of the most Android boxes.

As for TV Boxes after beeing burned by some crappy ones (M8S, some Allwinners) i only buy Boxes that have a good support. Like Wasser's for the Beelink R89 ect. The boxes came from 4.4 to 6.0 due to his work.

As far as your current box goes....it works with Kodi 16 ? Yes ? So whats the Problem ? Why do you need Kodi 17 ? ...sure they bring in new features ect. but if everything works...why switch a running system or why upgrade if your not missing the new stuff. Our company still has some Windows 98 PCs for the Storage department. They are not connected to the Internet and don't need new Features or something else. So why replace them ? They do their job just fine.

Comment

Working...
                        X