Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kodi 18: Which processor and Android version ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kodi 18: Which processor and Android version ?

Hello, I?m currently searching for a new Android TV box to use with Kodi 18.
    But I have some questions before buying a new box.

1. Are there any known incompatibles or problems with some processors ?

2. Most of the devices have Amlogic or Rockchip processors, but there are also some with a Allwinner chip.
    Is there a recommended brand you should go for ?

3. I want to buy a device with at least Android 8.1. There are also a few with Android 9.
    Are there any key changes with Android 9 for video playback and Kodi 18 ?

4. Are there any other big known problems with Android and Kodi 18 ?

Thank you very much for your answers.

Originally posted by Defendor View Post
    But I have some questions before buying a new box.

2. Most of the devices have Amlogic or Rockchip processors, but there are also some with a Allwinner chip.

3. I want to buy a device with at least Android 8.1. There are also a few with Android 9.

Lots of problems with Kodi 18 and Amlogic S905x processors.
    Rockchip devices with poor firmware are no better but at least support deinterlacing and proper SD mpeg2, mpeg4 codecs and HD Audio passthrough.
    Better to get a device that supports LibreELEC.

Comment

hmm...
      1. yes ( no cheap TV box seems perfect sadly )
      2. nope ( just avoid allwinner ) best suppored chip seems amlogic and brands like : Nvidia , MINIX , mecool , Tanix , Pie based units , beelink
      *best look for a device that has freaktab, armbian and libreelec support ( aka community supported devices )
      3. not that I can see.. ( its like buying AMD VII - buy latest android version device = get the latest bugs / user becomes beta tester )
      *best look what device meets your standard.. then look at the reviews cnx-software.com and user reviews at freaktab

best to look here..

or post your question at that forum..

as stated above.. android has a bunch of limits/bugs that effect the kodi... experiants
      that's why projects like Coreelec , libreelec , lakka exist

note: there are also kodi forks.. that can also be better for specific hardware ( there special versions for rockchip , nvidia and allwinner )

well...goodluck

Comment

Hmm, doesn?t sound very well. I was hoping Kodi would be better supported with newer Android boxes.

The specs I want are nearly clear: 4GB Ram, 64GB Rom, 3 USB-Ports, 2.4 & 5 Ghz Wifi, Android 8.1 or 9.
        The processor is still open. It seems to be a choice between Amlogic or Rockchip, there are no others with the mentioned specs.

Coreelec or Libreelec or not really a choice, I need a "real" system running in the background. Because I let the box do other things like downloads or uploads too.

Comment

Originally posted by Defendor View Post
          But I have some questions before buying a new box.rufus

devices with poor firmware are no better but at least support deinterlacing and proper SD mpeg2, mpeg4 codecs and HD Audio passthrough
          Last edited by vanWijlick; 03-24-2020, 10:26.

Comment

Working...
          X