How to get hardware acceleration with default XBMC player in Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get hardware acceleration with default XBMC player in Android

The latest alpha release of XBMC 13 Gotham. I've tested it on my MK802IIIs with snakekillers rom and it works like a charm! get it from here: http://xbmc.org/xbmc-13-gotham-august-cycle/ Android Hardware Decoding

It’s been a long time coming, but we are excited to announce that hardware decoding of video has finally made its way to the XBMC for Android platform. The most important caveat is that the implemented hardware decoding does not support AmLogic or Allwinner chipsets, and it does require Android 4.0 (“Ice Cream Sandwich”) or higher to run. With that said, the more popular tablets sold in the past year, such as the Nexus 7 and 10, should work quite well with this alpha, and users are welcome to discuss their experiences in the comments below. Kudos to Koying for his work on this project.

just thought I would share my joy, I've been using it flawlessly for over a week now

Comment

Originally posted by nizar View Post
      just thought I would share my joy, I've been using it flawlessly for over a week now

It's great but even the 13 version is not fully stable, xbmc for android just needs some improvements.
      "Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose."
      - Bill gates

Comment

Originally posted by diegocaxudo View Post
        It's great but even the 13 version is not fully stable, xbmc for android just needs some improvements.
        def not *fully* stable, but stable enough to watch HD content to my heart's desire (for now)

Comment

It is also available in the old Feb release of Gotham

Comment

Currently the best stable version would be Frodo 12.2 with xfinity talk installed. Hardware decode and works well.

Comment

The 12.3 version for Ouya is currently my preferred XBMC. It supports h/w acceleration, HDMI passthrough and all plugins. With the XBMCHubWizard addon it truly smokes.

The apk can be found here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/e0xnff

This version installs as 'ouyaxbmclibmedia' so you can install it alongside an existing XBMC installation.

(Ok, so it's not the default version but still worth mentioning, IMO).
              NVidia Shield TV 2015 16 GB || Stock
              NVidia Shield TV 2017 16 GB || Stock
              Buy me a beer?

Comment

Originally posted by Franb94 View Post
                It is also available in the old Feb release of Gotham
                The XBMC download repository seems to have been restructured lately. For example, all Android test builds pre-August are missing.
                Buy me a beer?

Comment

Originally posted by Molle View Post
                  The XBMC download repository seems to have been restructured lately. For example, all Android test builds pre-August are missing.
                  Get it here:

It is the first one on the monthly list - Alpha 1
                  Quite stable. Hardware accelerated.

Comment

Vs: How to get hardware acceleration with default XBMC player in Android

Originally posted by Molle View Post
                    The 12.3 version for Ouya is currently my preferred XBMC. It supports h/w acceleration, HDMI passthrough and all plugins. With the XBMCHubWizard addon it truly smokes.

The apk can be found here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/e0xnff

This version installs as 'ouyaxbmclibmedia' so you can install it alongside an existing XBMC installation.

(Ok, so it's not the default version but still worth mentioning, IMO).
                    I tried this with my MK908 v3, video playback was OK but I couldn't use playback buttons (stop, pause etc) during the film. I'm a newbie with XBMC testing, hope to get this fixed. I'm using Finless ROM 1.6

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

OK, But how to activate HW acceleration?

I'm struggling qith this issue as I can't get good results playing 720p or higher resolution videos correctly using internal player for Android.
                      • My hardware is assumed to be supported (RK3188 Mali400 Android 4.2.2->jesurunCS968 Quad core)
                      • Installed latest nightly Gotham Alpha build (feb-7th-2014)

Is there any setting I have to change in some hidden menu? How do I know my playing is HW activated? It actually doesn't work really well as installed out of the box (as is).

May you help me please?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by adsanchez View Post
                        Is there any setting I have to change in some hidden menu? How do I know my playing is HW activated? It actually doesn't work really well as installed out of the box (as is).
                        You need to change your user level to 'Expert' in the settings. Then the Video tab will show if h/w acceleration is enabled (libstagefright or MediaCodec).
                        Buy me a beer?

Comment

Using Molle's method, deselect MediaCodec to force Libstagefright only.

I had to use this method at first but latest nightly resolved this problem.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rceccleston View Post

Thanks Molle and rceccleston, I'll try this afternoon and will post the results. Didn't know about the advanced user mode, but will find it!

Comment

Originally posted by rceccleston View Post

Finally I did!! I tried only with forced Libstagefright and it worked. However, I noticed that audio track was a little delayed (that can be corrected via playback menu) and also noticed that sometimes there are some fps lost. Playing HD content is much better than in FRODO versions, but it is not as smooth as it is actually using some other players (like the crappy one embedded in my system or MXPlayer with HW acceleration enabled).

I hope these two issues will be corrected in newer nightly alpha versions or even in the first betas.

I am going to try this evening enabling both libstagefright and MediaCodec or even with MediaCodec only and will post the results.

Thank you for the help you provided me folks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X