New Liva X mini pc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Liva X mini pc

ECS just posted new Liva X (Liva 2) information on their website for this X'mas. It seems device capable to equip 4GB of RAM and 64GB storage but still no specific information about CPU just said Bay Trail-m&i at 2.25 Ghz with 22nm architecture also dual cores. It can be Intel N2808 CPU.

ECS Website
    Last edited by SpicySaturdayBoy; 12-24-2014, 20:06.

64bit Dual Core 2.25 Ghz according to TechPowerUp

Elitegroup Computer System (ECS) is proud to introduce the latest mini PC - LIVA X, a fan-less design, quiet and low power consumption small-size computer. Adopting Intel Bay-Trail M SOC and 15W ultra-low power design; supporting Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux, and Ubuntu operating systems, as well. ...

CPU appears to be faster then most STB out there that I've seen but its dual core? How does the number of cores, 2 vs lets say compared to 8 cores, affect things like XBMC, decoding and transcoding? Also the faster CPU with less cores vs slower cpu with more cores?

Looks very interesting. Any throughts/Reviews on this device?

Comment

But have a look a the price

250 USD for a system with 4GB/64GB(eMMC) and the Intel Celeron N2808...

OK, mSATA, USB 3.0 and 1GB-eth...

EDIT
      If a Celeron, then I think it should be e.g. a 1037U

(OK TDP is much higher, but also more power at CPU and at GPU...)
      e.g.

Last edited by no_spam_for_me; 01-16-2015, 21:36.
      RK3288 Devices
      - Overview BOX (LINK !)
      - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
      UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
      Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
      Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
      Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by Zodiak View Post
        64bit Dual Core 2.25 Ghz according to TechPowerUp

Elitegroup Computer System (ECS) is proud to introduce the latest mini PC - LIVA X, a fan-less design, quiet and low power consumption small-size computer. Adopting Intel Bay-Trail M SOC and 15W ultra-low power design; supporting Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux, and Ubuntu operating systems, as well. ...

CPU appears to be faster then most STB out there that I've seen but its dual core? How does the number of cores, 2 vs lets say compared to 8 cores, affect things like XBMC, decoding and transcoding? Also the faster CPU with less cores vs slower cpu with more cores?

Looks very interesting. Any throughts/Reviews on this device?

From my understanding it's not all about number of cores to handle tasks to be faster than others. There're also many more factors such like number of threads, software, clock speed, cache, etc. Let's sample like

Atom Z3735f (4 cores / 4 threads @1.33) with average benchmark score : 902 and single thread score : 319

Celeron N2807 (2 cores / 2 threads @1.58) with average benchmark score : 1528 and single thread score : 817

Because not all cores start to take software load all at the same time but start from first core then if load over will go to second, third, fourth, etc. If first core can finish job by itself then other cores don't need to work anything.

So like N2807 has single thread score 817 compare to Z3735f score 319 means single core of N2807 can finish job faster than Z3735f.

Anyway some said more cores will help multitasking go smoothly since now most users run more only light loads like web-surf, music, video, word processing, etc but open it all same times that why Atom base CPU with more cores design for tablet for those purpose. However if users run heavy tasks like Photoshop then powerful core is needed more than number of cores.

Also now Intel use "Intel Quick Sync Video" technology that is hardware video encoding/decoding integrated into CPU even like Intel Atom, Celeron, i3, i5, etc that help reduce CPU load for video playback. Then if considering about XBMC my believe is more cores or more powerful CPU not effect much or very less on it since all CPU has same hardware "Quick Sync" technology. The exception is if you need to run software encoding/decoding and doesn't want to use hardware, "Quick Sync" at all then you really need a powerful CPU.

Comment

If I'm not wrong (as I understand it), the "Intel Quick Sync Video" is a part of the GPU...
          I know at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video they talk about CPU, but I think they mean the integrated GPU because of:
          => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Clear_Video
          => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_and_Iris_Graphics
          If I'm right then the Celeron should also be faster than the Atom at Graphics...

N2808 (311 / 792 MHz )

=> Intel HD Graphics (Bay Trail)

Z3735/6F (311 / 646 MHz)

I don't know, if the "Clear Video HD" at the Z3735/6F, which seems doesn't to exist at the N2808, maybe fix the lower MHz????
          But what' about the lower count of EUs (Execution Units) at the Z3735/5???

Last but not least "Intel Quick Sync Video" only supports H.264, MPEG2, and VC-1...
          RK3288 Devices
          - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
            If I'm not wrong (as I understand it), the "Intel Quick Sync Video" is a part of the GPU...
            I know at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video they talk about CPU, but I think they mean the integrated GPU because of:
            => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Clear_Video
            => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_and_Iris_Graphics
            If I'm right then the Celeron should also be faster than the Atom at Graphics...

N2808 (311 / 792 MHz )

Z3735/6F (311 / 646 MHz)

I don't know, if the "Clear Video HD" at the Z3735/6F, which seems doesn't to exist at the N2808, maybe fix the lower MHz????
            But what' about the lower count of EUs (Execution Units) at the Z3735/5???

Last but not least "Intel Quick Sync Video" only supports H.264, MPEG2, and VC-1...
            You are right that Intel Quick Sync support only H.264 then 4k Video with H.264 is playable while 4k H.265 will be sluterry.

On both Atom and Celeron have same 4 Execute Units but should be different clock speed. While Celeron N2808 is Notebook class CPU (for entry level) they support 4GB memory maximum and USB 3.0 but Atom Z3735f is Tablet class they design to support only 2GB maximum and only USB 2.0 (Intel cut down many spec on Atom to lower CPU price to make cheap tablet). You will see another CPU class that make Chromebook like Celeron 2955u and 2957u that is more powerful with 10 execution unit.

This year should be a good year to see how Intel CPU against ARM CPU in low price tablet war. Cherry trail 14 nm CPU rumors with 16 execute units Intel Graphic Gen 8th some said near Tegra K1 quality. If the price is right I hope...we all will have powerful TV box with game play capability.

Comment

THX for the information...
              RK3288 Devices
              - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Originally posted by SpicySaturdayBoy View Post
                You are right that Intel Quick Sync support only H.264 then 4k Video with H.264 is playable while 4k H.265 will be sluterry.

On both Atom and Celeron have same 4 Execute Units but should be different clock speed. While Celeron N2808 is Notebook class CPU (for entry level) they support 4GB memory maximum and USB 3.0 but Atom Z3735f is Tablet class they design to support only 2GB maximum and only USB 2.0 (Intel cut down many spec on Atom to lower CPU price to make cheap tablet). You will see another CPU class that make Chromebook like Celeron 2955u and 2957u that is more powerful with 10 execution unit.

This year should be a good year to see how Intel CPU against ARM CPU in low price tablet war. Cherry trail 14 nm CPU rumors with 16 execute units Intel Graphic Gen 8th some said near Tegra K1 quality. If the price is right I hope...we all will have powerful TV box with game play capability.
                in lots of thousands of chips, what are we talking about $15 more a chip to go from atom to Celeron class?
                I think the main issue here is total power demand or TPD which is a main selling point.. once you introduce usb 3.0 and more power hungry graphics support these 10watt 5 volt boxes go from 10-15 watts to 30 watts easily. what we're hoping for is when you don't utilize those features, it can idle/throttle back to 10/15 watts respectively. now that Intel is grabbing for this market share.. ARM should fight back with x86 processors which can compete! Even AMD can make a play for this market! Given what's necessary to get these boxes to be more powerful without the power demand it will be quite a challenge to get a 10-15 watt device supporting full pc specs (2.5ghz quad core 1gb ddr5 gpu, 8gb ram usb 3 802.11ac etc) at the moment I think ultraportable laptops & tablets do this in the 12 volt 30-40 watt range.. and cost about $1k maybe some smarty will network/mod hack 4 of these puppies together and have the same power for 1/2 the cost of that $1k laptop.

Comment

Working...
                X