This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu on Intel Mini PCs

Want to try out Ubuntu on your Meegopad T01, MINIX Neo Z64* or similar Intel Mini PC but don't want the hassle of UEFI issues?

I've created an Ubuntu 14.10 USB image that will work with both 32-bit and 64-bit boot loaders. Just download the image from here (update: this post has been superseded - see my website and/or blog for latest versions) and uncompress it, then write it to a USB (8GB minimum) using either "Rufus" (in Windows) or "dd" (in Linux). Next plug the USB into your Intel Mini PC and after booting into BIOS go to menu “Save & Exit” and select “UEFI: USB device” for “Boot Override".

The first boot will resize the file system on the USB and then reboot - so make sure this is the only USB storage device connected during the initial boot. As a result the first boot is rather slow so be patient and let it complete. When the device reboots it will boot to the default you have currently set. To boot into Ubuntu on the USB you will have to select "UEFI: USB device" boot override from the BIOS each time unless you change your boot order defaults. As usual the username is “linuxium” and the password is “p”.
    Last edited by linuxium; 10-05-2016, 05:15.

Originally posted by linuxium View Post
    Want to try out Ubuntu on your Meegopad T01, MINIX Neo Z64* or similar Intel Mini PC but don't want the hassle of UEFI issues?

I've created an Ubuntu 14.10 USB image that will work with both 32-bit and 64-bit boot loaders. Just download the image from here and uncompress it, then write it to a USB (8GB minimum) using either "Rufus" (in Windows) or "dd" (in Linux). Next plug the USB into your Intel Mini PC and after booting into BIOS go to menu “Save & Exit” and select “UEFI: USB device” for “Boot Override".

The first boot will resize the file system on the USB and then reboot - so make sure this is the only USB storage device connected during the initial boot. As a result the first boot is rather slow so be patient and let it complete. When the device reboots it will boot to the default you have currently set. To boot into Ubuntu on the USB you will have to select "UEFI: USB device" boot override from the BIOS each time unless you change your boot order defaults. As usual the username is “linuxium” and the password is “p”.
    Thanks, I will try it out with my pipo x7

Comment

Originally posted by linuxium View Post

I've created an Ubuntu 14.10 USB image that will work with both 32-bit and 64-bit boot loaders. Just download the image from here and uncompress it, then write it to a USB (8GB minimum) using either "Rufus" (in Windows) or "dd" (in Linux). Next plug the USB into your Intel Mini PC and after booting into BIOS go to menu “Save & Exit” and select “UEFI: USB device” for “Boot Override".

This looks good thought my mini pc was dead until this as i was stuck on efi shell prompt following a windows update. But this appears to be booting yay. Would be good if the same could be done with openelec

Comment

I gave this a try on my X7 and it booted up fine but wifi wasnt working and the performance was not nearly as good booting from usb 2.0 as it is from the internal flash.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysbless View Post
          I gave this a try on my X7 and it booted up fine but wifi wasnt working and the performance was not nearly as good booting from usb 2.0 as it is from the internal flash.
          Did u solve the problem with the wifi?

Comment

Is there a similar thing like this for latest Ubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by Methanoid View Post
              Is there a similar thing like this for latest Ubuntu?
              Latest is available from my website (www.linuxium.com.au) or G+ postings here https://plus.google.com/u/0/+IanMORRISON/posts

Comment

is there a fix for openelec

Comment

Originally posted by wwmoggy View Post
                  is there a fix for openelec

Use Kodi on Ubuntu?

Comment

testing now no sound on my pipo X7s

Comment

Originally posted by wwmoggy View Post
                      testing now no sound on my pipo X7s

Which ISO did you install, what bootloader are you using (64bit ot 32bit) and did you apply my patches?

Comment

I installed the 64 bit version on my X8. No sound from the built in speakers but wifi works. You have to manually rotate the display resolution. It actually runs really well. Haven't tried HDMI yet and the power management thinks it is running on batteries. The unit did start to get hot. The touchscreen doesn't work. I installed XBMC and ran a few 720p videos without sound. Had to use it in windowed mode. All of this off wifi which worked great.

What I would like to do is install 32 bit win8.1 on a partition. When I installed Ubuntu it took up the whole drive ( 30gigs or so) with the swap file the final partition. Be nice to shrink the partitions and have the swap file before the Linux partition all in 8 gigs. The remaining amount I would like to be unallocated. Also, the X8 and X7s run in both 64 bit (Android) and 32 bit (windows) modes. Somehow it would great if from Ubuntu I could switch the system into 32 bit mode.

Which patches are you referring to?

Comment

I have successfully installed Ubuntu on my CX-W8. Wifi was not working at first but a usb wifi dongle did the trick. I applied the linuxium patch to try to fix the sound but that did not work. Any ideas to get the sound working?
                          Last edited by handroid; 08-29-2015, 21:40.

Comment

Be careful with Linux on these PCs. I had PIPO X8, and forgot it running Linux one night - on the morning device was dead (probably overheating).
                            I was running Debian with patched kernel (e.g. Sound/SD card and WIFI were working), but still I think problem was not in that but in power management under Linux.

Comment

Hello guys.
                              Hope you all having great times with your mini pcs and ubuntu.

I would also like to install ubuntu on my PIPO X8 but i cant seem to the hang of it.

I even lost the default dual boot and i am not sure how but now only android is booting
                              and I noticed in the bios under advanced->os/bom configutaion:

BOM selection switch [force android/BOM2.1
                              Pre-OS/bom selection [Android/BOM2.1

So now i cannot boot windows anymore. Anyone else had this issue?

But maybe i dont need to know what this is because I actually need ubuntu on this mini pc.

Can you guys please give me some guidelines on how to install ubuntu on PIPO X8.
                              It is just that I cant seem to be able to boot anything else but the android and maybe I am also creating the bootable usb stick in a wrong way.

So any help is welcome and very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X