This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there Ian, great work as always!
    Q: would this work on a Win 10 & Android dual OS tablet? (Intel Atom Z3735F Baytrail, 2Gb, 32 Gb).
    I don't see why not (worth trying at least) as I understand your image does not interfere with Win or Android FS on internal drive.
    Except for one thing, maybe. I cannot disable "Secure Boot" on my device, this option is simply not available in its UEFI firmware (new Win 10 policy to OEMs you know.
    Is your image "signed"?
    I bought this 8" tablet super cheap (Vivax TPC-800 dual OS) while waiting for BQ Aquarius Ubuntu tablet release, and found it quite capable (all right, Android is completely unnecessary in my opinion). Impressed to the point that I am almost hesitant to wipe out Windows even if it can be done, it works just flawless. ideally I think this device should run Linux from a MicroSD card which is unfortunately not a booting option in UEFI - or maybe needs to be prepared in a special way to become?
    Plse forgive me if this post is a bit off topic & packed with various considerations, haven't been on Freaktab for quite a while and trying to cath up! Also reading your site and Google+ but it takes time.
    Many thanks for your great work and best regards, G

EDIT: All right, I am making progress but some serious issues remain. Main thing is that I cannot get Ubuntu output on internal tablet display. After I realized that HDMI is needed to boot Ian's images as they were created for TV sticks, I was able to boot various live disks (14.04, Ian's 14.10, 15.10 and 16.04 daily build), as well as Ian's multiarch 14.10 image. Internal display is invariably recognized as "unknown" and no output is possible to send on it from Ubuntu Display settings. In one instance I noted that touch screen seems to react - doing something on TV display when I press. I was hesitant to install updates on multiarch image before I learn more on how to keep windows unaffected. And finally, my UEFI "BIOS" is playing up big time: no usb stick is any more recognized either in "boot order" or in "boot override" sections. Secure boot or not, I was able to boot Ubuntu only via EFI shell. Would appreciate some feedback.
    Last edited by sevo1984; 04-04-2016, 07:39.

Comment

@linuxium

Looks great. How exactly do your Ubuntu images differ from the generic Ubuntu ISO?

Why is it necessary to patch the kernel to get Sound and Wifi working? I really don't like messing with core stuff like that, aren't there non-free packages and git-clone techniques to get all that working?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_NZ View Post
        @linuxium

Looks great. How exactly do your Ubuntu images differ from the generic Ubuntu ISO?

Why is it necessary to patch the kernel to get Sound and Wifi working? I really don't like messing with core stuff like that, aren't there non-free packages and git-clone techniques to get all that working?
        The difference between the official Ubuntu ISOs and my ISOs is that I have added HDMI audio, wifi and bluetooth support for Intel Atom Bay Trail and Cherry Trail SOCs. Patching the kernel is just the way I've done it to get it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxium View Post

The difference between the official Ubuntu ISOs and my ISOs is that I have added HDMI audio, wifi and bluetooth support for Intel Atom Bay Trail and Cherry Trail SOCs. Patching the kernel is just the way I've done it to get it to work.
          Cool thanks for the response.

Have you looked at stuff specific to Cherry/Bay Trail tablets?

Accelerometer, touch, camera, battery sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_NZ View Post

Cool thanks for the response.

Have you looked at stuff specific to Cherry/Bay Trail tablets?

Accelerometer, touch, camera, battery sensor?
            No. I'm interested in running Linux (primarily Ubuntu) on mini PCs so fortunately I don't have to deal with these issues!

Comment

No. I'm interested in running Linux (primarily Ubuntu) on mini PCs so fortunately I don't have to deal with these issues!
              Yeah it's a pain haha Four extra drivers

Comment

linuxium

I tried to do this myself from scratch (with existing patches and source code) is this the process you used?

1.) Patch SDHCI drivers to kernel.

2.) Git clone https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs. Patch kernel with all patches from the "patches_4.5" section.

3.) Run. "make" then "make install" in the root of that cloned directory.

4.) Run official Intel audio patch http://pastebin.com/kZyiZMR5

Is that what you did?

I didn't realize until after a lot of mucking around that my tablet didn't actually recognize the SDHCI interface. What SDHCI patch/driver did you use? Is there an official place that Intel patch is hosted?

I couldn't find it amongst Pierre-Louis Bossart's official submissions. https://patchwork.kernel.org/project...ubmitter=89511

Comment

Which ISO did you install, what bootloader are you using (64bit ot 32bit) and did you apply my patches?
                  remember that if it's the PipoX7 thent he UEFI only allows 32bit boot devices.... confusing, since it has a "64bit CPU".... but it's actually a 32bit only system....

Comment

WHERE IS THE WEBSITE LINK TO DOWNLOAD THE IMAGE???

Comment

Working...
                    X