Microsoft tackles China piracy with free upgrade to Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft tackles China piracy with free upgrade to Windows 10

Interesting story that could potentially have a twist/loophole.

All those in China that currently use pirated copies of Windows will get a free legitimate upgrade to Windows 10.

I wonder if the Chinese manufacturers might spot an opportunity to bypass any possible licensing costs for 10 (assuming that there will be any at all of course) in supplying boxes wholesale with the 30 day evaluation and a pirated key, knowing that if each box is connected to the Chinese internet at least once, they will then become eligible to receive a genuine licence key for 10 that they could pass onto the customers who buy in the run up to launch.

As an aside, this article also states that Microsoft will not be storing a recovery image locally, which means more space on boxes in the future.

Microsoft’s upcoming major desktop and mobile operating system update will bring over a bunch of interesting features that users will certainly appreciate, including the return …
    R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

does it mean, if I connect via a VPN with server at China, I will get a free legitimate upgrade to Windows 10 and/or genuine licence key for 10 ?
    RK3288 Devices
    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
      does it mean, if I connect via a VPN with server at China, I will get a free legitimate upgrade to Windows 10 and/or genuine licence key for 10 ?
      you crack me up no_spam_for_me good to have laugh once in a while
      Bugs are Sons of Glitches!

If you like my work and it's helped you, you can always shout me a beer or two Click - Here

Links : Visit JustMe ROMs - EM8 Square Roms - EM8 OpenELEC Rom - ADB GUI

JustMe

Comment

Depends.....
        Did you get it from china. They know what version you have. or do they
        treboR
        Please consider
        Donating to Freaktab

Comment

That's an interesting perspective and you might well get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
            That's an interesting perspective and you might well get away with it.
            From what I have read, even tho this is mainly because of china this will happen everywhere not just in china so no vpn will be required.

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

Microsoft wants to bring pirated copies of current Windows software back into the fold. Plus, Windows 10's hardware requirements have been laid out.

Windows 10 upgrades will be free for anyone using Windows 7 or better, even if you didn't pay for it.
            To Infinity and Beyond.... XBMC

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpster View Post
              From what I have read, even tho this is mainly because of china this will happen everywhere not just in china so no vpn will be required.

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

Microsoft wants to bring pirated copies of current Windows software back into the fold. Plus, Windows 10's hardware requirements have been laid out.

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/windows...rates-no-joke/
              Very interesting.

Microsoft seem to be doing things that will be universally popular at the moment and the torrent sites will be overloaded in the run up lol

Comment

Yeah nothing to do with taking market share back from apple or making money from app sales. Good way to do business love the touch screens and windows 8 is growing on me! could be a turn around.

Comment

Here's Microsoft's statement:

"We have always been committed to ensuring that customers have the best Windows experience possible. With Windows 10, although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Non-Genuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered non-genuine or mis-licensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mis-licensed after the upgrade."

If you like my work and it's helped you, you can always shout me a beer or two Click - Here

JustMe

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe View Post
                    Here's Microsoft's statement:

"We have always been committed to ensuring that customers have the best Windows experience possible. With Windows 10, although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Non-Genuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered non-genuine or mis-licensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mis-licensed after the upgrade."
                    That seems the complete opposite of everything they have said. Please show me the source for that quote.

Edit. Found it, they released a second statement. This seems illogical.

To Infinity and Beyond.... XBMC

Comment

It may be one of those cases where a person present at a meeting decides to go public before final decisions have been made, or perhaps they realised that there may be loopholes that could allow many more people to essentially get a free copy and then changed their minds overnight.

Their revised decision is quit sensible if they then offer those with these non legitimate copies the chance to upgrade for a token amount, say $/£10

They seem to have given up on doing anything legally to stop the pirating, so are possibly thinking along more than one line to come up with a strategy.

Comment

Microsoft will continue to treat stolen Windows versions as it always has, and it is not giving amnesty to pirates.

JustMe

Comment

Working...
                        X