Android on Windows MiniPCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android on Windows MiniPCs

Here's a simple way to try Android on your Windows Mini PC such as the Meegopad T01, Minix NEO Z64W and perhaps even the Intel Compute Stick! I've compiled the source of Intel's Android on Intel Platforms to successfully support a 32-bit environment. These instructions show you how to run a 'live' image from a USB. More details on the system can be found at https://01.org/android-ia/guides/and...at-bring-guide.

Download the USB image from here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...1pzYmowSzZQUFk and write it to a USB either using 'Win32 Disk Imager' on Windows or using 'dd' on Linux. Next insert the USB into your device and boot into the boot menu (typically by pressing F7 or F11 immediately after powering up). Finally select the UEFI USB option to boot from your USB. The screen will then display the standard Android-IA menu and the Meegopad will automatically run the 'live' option due to the BIOS feature (bug) otherwise for the Minix NEO Z64W simply press return.

This current version of the Android port only gives you a basic system (without Google Play store) and although wifi isn't working yet at least ethernet works providing you an internet connection. In that respect it is similar to Console OS except that it runs with a 32-bit bootloader.

Although it is early stages it will give you the basic idea. I've made a video to tempt you here https://youtu.be/WIguGQMh7yk. And if you like my work then please don't forget to donate!

If you write
    Originally posted by linuxium View Post
    :
    Although it is early stages it will give you the basic idea. ... please don't forget to donate!
    does it means that you will continually working/develop at it to get a release version?

RK3288 Devices
    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
      If you write

does it means that you will continually working/develop at it to get a release version?

Not sure I follow what you mean. You've joined two sentences which whilst related are not necessarily dependent. Q: Will I continue to develop/work on Intel's Android on Intel Platforms for the Meegopad & Z64W? A: Probably, because at the moment it still interests me. Q: Do I need donations? A: Yes, because (i) I actually incur extra costs for development, (ii) I need a new drive for storage as I'm out of space, (iii) I want to get one of the new devices that have been recently released and two that are about to be released, (iv) my pub hasn't implemented “Free as in beer”!

Comment

1.) I asked because I want to know if I should sticky it or not, and sticky a version which is "only" at early stages and will never get a release state, is in my eyes senseless...
        2.) Because of donation, that was only a reminder to the users to support you (and now you explained that you need donations (of course donations are always welcome but you don't have to explain it))...

RK3288 Devices
        - Overview BOX (LINK !)
        - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
        UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
        Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
        Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
        Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Edit: Completely wrong thread sorry
          To Infinity and Beyond.... XBMC

Comment

Hi Ian,I can see you have been working hard again with this "top man".

Just leaving you some feedback on this with my x7..Once the image is burned to a usb stick android loads fine & like the say the first boot is very slow but after that it fine,

Theres no wifi, Bluetooth or Ethernet..There navigation bar at the bottom of the screen is missing & the right button on the mouse don't work as the back button + the only way to shut it down is to hold the power button in on the pipo for about 10 seconds..
            Last edited by blinkone; 04-29-2015, 23:20.
            Please consider making a Donation to freakTab

Comment

Originally posted by blinkone View Post
              Hi Ian,I can see you have been working hard again with this "top man".

Just leaving you some feedback on this with my x7..Once the image is burned to a usb stick android loads fine & like the say the first boot is very slow but after that it fine,

Theres no wifi, Bluetooth or Ethernet..There navigation bar at the bottom of the screen is missing & the right button on the mouse don't work as the back button + the only way to shut it down is to hold the power button in on the pipo for about 10 seconds..

Can you try the image from here https://plus.google.com/+IanMORRISON/posts/3wER8pb7WLJ on the Pipo X7 to see if it also works please? Using this on the MINIX Z64W did give me a navigation bar at the bottom of the screen although it only has the three functions of back, home and running plus ethernet worked so it will be interesting to here what works on the Pipo X7.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxium View Post

Can you try the image from here https://plus.google.com/+IanMORRISON/posts/3wER8pb7WLJ on the Pipo X7 to see if it also works please? Using this on the MINIX Z64W did give me a navigation bar at the bottom of the screen although it only has the three functions of back, home and running plus ethernet worked so it will be interesting to here what works on the Pipo X7.
                Hi Ian.That is the image I used,I will re download it latter & try burning it again may be it had gotten corrupted some how.Thanks again for bringing users this..

Comment

Just downloaded the image again burned the image to the sd card same as before no errors android loads fine,
                  But still no navigation bar,right click on the mouse does not work as a back button,,Theres no Ethernet well least I don't think there is (wont load any webpage playstore won't connect either)

Screen shot showing there is no navigation bar

Comment

Originally posted by blinkone View Post
                    Just downloaded the image again burned the image to the sd card same as before no errors android loads fine,
                    But still no navigation bar,right click on the mouse does not work as a back button,,Theres no Ethernet well least I don't think there is (wont load any webpage playstore won't connect either)

Screen shot showing there is no navigation bar
                    Interesting, I've not tried it on SD card, only USB.

The posted image doesn't look like the screen I get. Weird.

Comment

Sorry I ment usb stick not sd card But I will try it on a sd card lol..The strange thing is that the home screen looks completely different to yours it like its a different image but I am using the image in post 7 im 100% sure on that..I just assumed you had changed your home screen wallpaper or installed another launcher..

Comment

Working...
                      X