Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Day PIPO X8 Mini TV BOX Windows 8.1 Android 4.4 Dual Boot Intel Z3736F Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Day PIPO X8 Mini TV BOX Windows 8.1 Android 4.4 Dual Boot Intel Z3736F Update

Thanks to Gearbest using the DHL service for fast shipping/Delivery of the PIPO X8 3 days to AU.

Coupon Code: PIPOX8 Coupon Price: $103.90

Been waiting for this little box I feel it may have some potential in education and presentation environment.

Not sure the Idea of Android and Win8 on the one box with only 32gb is a good move
    But there are ways to make it suit your needs.

So what we have is
    • Model: X8
    • Color: Black
    • System: Android 4.4/Windows 8.1 with Bing
    • GPU: Intel HD Graphic
    • CPU: Intel HD Graphics Baytrail T Z3736F
    • Core: Quad Core
    • RAM: 2G ROM: 32G
    • Max. Extended Capacity: 64G
    WiFi: IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0
    Power Supply: Charge Adapter
    Interface: Micro USB, SD Card Slot, HDMI, LAN

Plugged in HDMI to my 32in Sony, powered the PIPO X8 both screen activated away we went.
    Greeted with the WIN/Android logo, plugged in My k400r Logitech and clicked into Windows
    Good install asked for region info so the OBE has been done right.
    Logged into my MS account and continued with the set up so all looking good.

60 Windows updates later over Wifi, speed looking good.
    Also installed my usual programs to get the feel correct.
    At present I am finding the PIPO X8 performs just as well as most of the other Intel boxes I have tested to date
    and no real noticeable difference in Wifi speeds and over all operation/performance of the unit.

Inside the unit it is pretty much a PIPO X7 except for the obvious bits needed for screen etc.
    They have not added any heat sinks to the top of the cpu/ram cover plate just the usual thin pad.
    But
    Looks like they have been reading around Freaktab as they have added a Thermal Pad to the underside.
    It's sandwiched between the PCB and the base what a good idea.
    A grey colour no idea of its Thermal resistance, the base is warm so must be doing something.
    More test on this over the next few days.

So that's the first on this little beasty.

The Screen on the PIPO X8 is small but usable like most of these 7 inch (178mm) units
    Even my failing eyes can navigate around pretty good but the fat finger can be a problem some pointing devise will overcome this.

I have not used Windows 8 in a true tablet environment before so this will be interesting to see how it all works out.
    Running 1280 x 800 duplicate display On my Sony I can get full screen top and bottom and black edge 40mm each side
    Other modes Extend and show on One monitor do use the full 1920 x 1080

So more to come on this Wedged shape tablet or Media player with a screen.

Thanks

Price: $103.89.

Cheers
    Last edited by trebor; 06-21-2015, 19:31.
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

More Fiddling this day, more apps and programs installed
    Netflix no problems
    Plex always good

Box is performing just as well as most others in this area.

Yet to fiddle with the Android side of things at this stage.
    The good wife has had a look and is eyeing it off for some projects could be interesting

More to come

Cheers
    Last edited by trebor; 06-17-2015, 20:55.
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Bit of stress testing today with the X8S.
      I mentioned previous they have fitted a Thermal Pad to the Under Side PCB to Base of unit (grey).
      After testing for 15 minutes with Aida 64 temp rose quickly to 70c

I have some Blue Thermal Pad, Good stuff
      Removed the Grey, installed the Blue Thermal pad After 15 minutes temp only in the 60's

Cheers
      treboR
      Please consider
      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I'm amazed that Pipo don't really want to address the heat issues and this alone has stopped me buying any of their boxes.
        R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

I have been used this X8 for a few days and I think it's the best bang for the bucks. Both Android (4.4.4kitkat) and Windows Bing activated are runing super smooth. The 7" display is a plus...hand down!!

Comment

Another Mod to see how low we can keep the temperature.

My Quality piece of Thermal Pad 1.2 m/kw and slightly larger gave a approx 10c drop in the temp

This is the Inside of the base plate

Now I have removed the Paint in the Area you can see the mark left by Thermal Pad.
            I found Some Alloy in the Shed about 3mm thick.
            Polished it up a little and attached the Alloy to the Base with some Artic Alumina Thermal Paste.
            Clamped it for 10 minutes or so

Now we have the new improved Base with a block of alloy.
            I found that the Thermal Pad not Sandwiched enough between Base and PCB and needed a few extra mm's

Another 5~10c down in temp around the 50c and a bit mark.

Cheers
            Last edited by trebor; 06-25-2015, 09:51. Reason: Update
            treboR
            Please consider
            Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Nice writeup. I have to say it performs better than the X7 thermally during my tests but they could do alot more.
              Come visit Home Theatre Life for the latest reviews!
              Read the Latest Article: Nexbox A95X Pro Review - Android TV for under $40!

Comment

Originally posted by buhohitr View Post
                I have been used this X8 for a few days and I think it's the best bang for the bucks. Both Android (4.4.4kitkat) and Windows Bing activated are runing super smooth. The 7" display is a plus...hand down!!

Yep it is a Bit of Fun, just thinking if I will make a Windows only box or leave it as is.
                You can just have it running on the bench doing the mundane mail etc or plug it to the TV movies etc.
                Good bangs for Buck for sure

Cheers
                treboR
                Please consider
                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by Darkscythe View Post
                  Nice writeup. I have to say it performs better than the X7 thermally during my tests but they could do alot more.

Thanks
                  It does perform well but now even a little better a good box, and I am getting use to using the 7 inch screen with these fat fingers
                  Hope for a 10 inch version maybe

Cheers
                  treboR
                  Please consider
                  Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Hi i wonder i these pads work better when a little compressed. Maybe they transfer the heat more efficiently ?
                    and also ... hom much is importante the size of the thermal pad ? the larger the better ?
                    Moreover, could be useful to put something also on the other side of the pcb directly in contact with the cpu ?
                    Thanks and regards
                    With the kindest regards, geppo

Comment

Yes a more compressed pad does appear to be doing the job.

It was a full size 100 x 100 thermal pad I just cut in half, covers more area also under ram so I think bigger is better
                      I don't think you need to use full size pad need to let some air get in
                      I was ruled by the solid part of the base middle no need to cover vents.

In the PIPO X7 thread they have also put heat sinks etc in top.

Just a quick remove base clean up the paint attach plate easy.

Cheers

treboR
                      Please consider
                      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
                        Yes a more compressed pad does appear to be doing the job.
                        It was a full size 100 x 100 thermal pad I just cut in half, covers more area also under ram so I think bigger is better
                        I don't think you need to use full size pad need to let some air get in
                        I was ruled by the solid part of the base middle no need to cover vents.
                        In the PIPO X7 thread they have also put heat sinks etc in top.
                        Just a quick remove base clean up the paint attach plate easy.
                        Cheers
                        Hi thanks a lot for the very kind and helpful reply
                        I have bought and used the pads you mentioned in the 2.5mm thick version with a pipo X7 already and they really work.
                        I was quite skeptical at first after seeing the temperatures reached by the cpu cores. But now i see a possible solution.
                        The goal is to transfer more heat possible from the cpu to the metallic case that then works as heatsink.
                        unfortunately the heat exchange surface is very tiny on Atom cpu ... some 11x11 mm (they could have done better i think ... like 20x20mm at least).

I have the problem on the upper side of the pcb that is some 20 mm from the top cover. There is a big gap to fill and i do not know how.
                        However i have also bough a X8 that has much more space available inside the case.
                        The idea is to put pads under the pcb and a little fan above the cpu on the other side. That should work ok.
                        My pads have adhesive on both side. I could not find pads with just one sticky side. They would be more handy.
                        I was about to put away the x7 but these pads have been a revelation. Love them.
                        I should receive the X8 soon and i will looke inside
                        Thanks a lot again

Comment

The Space between top of PCB and back of LCD is not much more than X7
                          maybe a little less that is why I only did the simple mod on base plate only.

Cheers
                          treboR
                          Please consider
                          Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
                            The Space between top of PCB and back of LCD is not much more than X7
                            maybe a little less that is why I only did the simple mod on base plate only.
                            Cheers
                            Hi and thanks again. Now i understand better ... i checked what shed means

... I found Some Alloy in the Shed about 3mm thick. Polished it up a little and attached the Alloy to the Base with some Artic Alumina Thermal Paste. Clamped it for 10 minutes or so ...

Have you any idea about what kind of alloy is ? Becasue i would like to do exactly the same.
                            You have reached an excellent T decrease indeed.
                            another option could be a thick copper plate attached always with the same paste you mention.
                            Thanks a lot, gino
                            Last edited by geppetto61; 06-19-2015, 11:39.

Comment

Copper maybe better
                              Shed (a place we we keep all things handy that may become useful even if we never use it)
                              Normal everyday Alloy nothing special it was 50mm wide 2.5~3mm thick.

Cheers

treboR
                              Please consider
                              Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Working...
                              X