No announcement yet.

Question: eMMC (on Pipo X8 and Rikomagic MK36) doesn't appear in Ubuntu install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: eMMC (on Pipo X8 and Rikomagic MK36) doesn't appear in Ubuntu install

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Ubuntu Server (or any similar Linux flavour, really) on a Pipo X8 and an MK36. Installing to a USB drive is easy. Installing to an eMMC appears impossible. The eMMC doesn't appear in blkid, only the attached USB drives.

Things I've tried already:

- turning off the eMMC write protect in the BIOS
    - changing the eMMC mode to Auto in the BIOS
    - in the LPSS / SCC config of the BIOS I've changed the device mode from ACPI to PCI and back again
    - checking through the entirety of DMESG to see if there's a weird device it doesn't have a driver for
    - scouring these forums
    - Tweeting at Linuxium

Any suggestions? From reading trebor's review on this forum, I'm fairly certain that the Pipo and MK36 innards are the same, but the MK36 swaps a Samsung chip with a Foresee. Since the X8 has a Samsung CGND3R I guess that means they're using different eMMC devices (complete guess, of course) which means there's probably something basic I'm missing.

Hiya, we are currently trying to install (at least run from a LiveCD USB distro)

It looks like you've managed to run a linux from a USB drive ("Installing to a USB drive is easy") Would you be able to share with us your USB setup as we can't seem to be able to boot anything from USB. Did you have to change anything within the Advanced/USB BIOS as well?

Any tips would be very much appreciated!

Comment

I see there is a LE version of the MK36
      Shenzhen Rikomagic Tech Corp.,Ltd-----Android TV BOX, Media player, Digital Signage Media Player,signage player

Not much help but there maybe some difference.

Maybe some Bios Magic or PCB I will ask.
      Cheers

treboR
      Please consider
      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
        I see there is a LE version of the MK36
        Shenzhen Rikomagic Tech Corp.,Ltd-----Android TV BOX, Media player, Digital Signage Media Player,signage player

Not much help but there maybe some difference.

Maybe some Bios Magic or PCB I will ask.
        Cheers
        Dude nicely spotted! I've ordered one from Cloudsto. As soon as it arrived I'll image the BIOS and drive, and see if I can't make all that available publicly. The BIOS is the easy bit, hopefully the disk image won't pose a serious problem. Looking forward to it!

Comment

I did ask them about updating the MK36 to Linux the message was.

" Im sorry right now we haven’t got a clean process for doing this, it can quite easily brick the device.
          Please check back soon this may change later."

So I have persisted to see if I can get an answer but nothing yet,
          most likely at a guess lock bios in Android mode/64bit then it works.
          Linux and all this Android is not my strong point but will have a go.
          Just create the LINUX USB from Ian Morrison nice and easy
          Keep us upto date

Cheers
          treboR
          Please consider
          Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by fluffypony View Post
            Hi all,

I'm trying to install Ubuntu Server (or any similar Linux flavour, really) on a Pipo X8 and an MK36. Installing to a USB drive is easy. Installing to an eMMC appears impossible. The eMMC doesn't appear in blkid, only the attached USB drives.

Things I've tried already:

- turning off the eMMC write protect in the BIOS
            - changing the eMMC mode to Auto in the BIOS
            - in the LPSS / SCC config of the BIOS I've changed the device mode from ACPI to PCI and back again
            - checking through the entirety of DMESG to see if there's a weird device it doesn't have a driver for
            - scouring these forums
            - Tweeting at Linuxium

Any suggestions? From reading trebor's review on this forum, I'm fairly certain that the Pipo and MK36 innards are the same, but the MK36 swaps a Samsung chip with a Foresee. Since the X8 has a Samsung CGND3R I guess that means they're using different eMMC devices (complete guess, of course) which means there's probably something basic I'm missing.

"Tweeting at Linuxium" ... LOL ... see http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...-z3735f-device

Comment

Thanks linuxium, you rock my entire world

Going to give that a spin tonight!

In other news: my MK36 Linux edition just arrived, so there's that too!

Comment

Working...
              X