Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipo X8 Issues

Hi,

I received my X8 yesterday in the mail but discovered a couple of issue with it I've had to work through.

1. The device would occasionally not start or crash due to the screen getting artifacts and tearing. I worked out this was due to a mechanical issue with the build as I could make it come and go by using just the lightest touch at various points of the screen and casing. The temporary fix was to loosen the two screws closest to the front edge of the device, leading me to believe there is excess pressure being placed on the LCD due to the thermal pads.

2. Sparks come out of the power jack when connecting the plug pack cable to the device when it is plugged into the mains. This happened each time using three different 12V 2, 2.4 and 2.5 amp DC plug packs. The X8 design may require some filtering?

I bought one of these devices as a test, and if they were good I would buy a few more. But until Pipo do something about this I feel a little uneasy about it, especially the sparks from the power jack.

Has anyone else experienced any of the above?

Cheers.

It's probably not a good idea hot plug the DC on devices, especially these PC type devices, switch off at the Outlet (bad habits we can get into with DC)

Looks like you solved the the problem with screen well done.
    Cheers
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
      It's probably not a good idea hot plug the DC on devices, especially these PC type devices, switch off at the Outlet (bad habits we can get into with DC)

Looks like you solved the the problem with screen well done.
      Cheers

Thanks for the reply.

Because I can't control if people will hot plug it or not, having a rule to bypass a design flaw is not really a solution. I think it could be solved with an Inrush Current Limiter on the power input. Probably adding 1c in extra parts. Shame really.

The screen issue is not really solved either. Its another design/build flaw. To try and fix this particular X8 I will have to pack out the base plate with washers on the inside to relieve the pressure

This device could be awesome with just a little more refinement and 1c in extra electronics.

Comment

Yep agree with you, your onto it well done.

Cheers
        treboR
        Please consider
        Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X