Problem with Pipo X8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Pipo X8

About a week ago I received my long anticipated Pipo X8. When I started it up for the first time, it ran for 10-15 minutes, and then the screen became all pixelated (see attached picture), followed by it shutting down. I then have to wait at least 15 minutes with the device unplugged before it will start up again. I have this issue in both Android and Windows, so I am almost sure that it is a hardware issue, and more to the point an overheating one. I am wondering if anyone else has encountered similar issues with their X8s, and if so, were you able to fix it?

As I am the process of filing a dispute with the vendor through PayPal for sending me a device that was defective on arrival, I am not ready to open it up to troubleshoot the issues yet, but any advice would be appreciated.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

I have the same issue with my X8. I had to loosen the two screws closest to the front on the X8 on the bottom. This made it more stable. I believe its happening because the thermal padding inside is placing excess pressure on the LCD.

Email [email protected] and inform him about the issue, along with that photo.

Are you also getting the spark coming out of the back of the X8 power jack when plugging in a power pack that is already plugged into the wall? I described my issues in this thread:

Comment

Originally posted by Tek View Post
      I have the same issue with my X8. I had to loosen the two screws closest to the front on the X8 on the bottom. This made it more stable. I believe its happening because the thermal padding inside is placing excess pressure on the LCD.

Email [email protected] and inform him about the issue, along with that photo.

Are you also getting the spark coming out of the back of the X8 power jack when plugging in a power pack that is already plugged into the wall? I described my issues in this thread:

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...pipo-x8-issues
      Indeed, I have the same problem when plugging in the power supply, but as suggested on your thread, I simply plug and unplug at the wall outlet. I found your thread very informative, but I think the issue with my device is even more serious, and I will await the outcome of the case I opened up with PayPal before I fiddle with the box. I believe you should not have to tinker with a new device.

I will contact Ben Lai to see if he can assist, and I thank you for all the information. I will keep you posted.

Comment

Cool. Look forward to the results.

Just so you know, the image you posted and your description are the exact same symptoms my X8 is suffering, so if you believe your case is more serious I would like to know why so that I can test for the same things on my device.

Comment

Originally posted by Tek View Post
          Cool. Look forward to the results.

Just so you know, the image you posted and your description are the exact same symptoms my X8 is suffering, so if you believe your case is more serious I would like to know why so that I can test for the same things on my device.
          I did as you previously suggested, and I am happy to report that 1) by unscrewing the bottom screws a bit and slipping a thin piece of cardboard in the gap at the bottom, has permitted the device to function more or less properly (still is annoying that I have to do this) and 2) I contacted Pipo with the email you provided me and they promptly replied, and are willing to assist. I thank you for your help, and I hope to return the favor, by ultimately figuring out what is causing these issues with the Pipo X8. I will keep you informed.

Comment

Cool, glad its helped you out a little bit and this is a common problem, more chance it will be rectified that way.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Alas I failed in my efforts to get a full refund from the merchant and PayPal was useless. This said I opened up the device and immediately confirmed my suspicions that the issues are due to overheating and poor heat management. When the tablet/ TV box is lying in its standard position, it is very difficult for heat to dissipate, so it overheats quickly. If you tilt it, that seems to do the trick, but is not ideal. I have ordered a USB cooling pad with fans, which I hope will be a better solution. You would have thought Pipo would have learned with the X7, but no. Good luck with your device.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your refund problem.

For me it has nothing to do with heat. It's purely a mechanical problem cos I can control it by pushing on the bottom plate when the screws are loose. Are you 100% sure that by lying on it's side that its not bearing the weight on the internals as it would if it were resting on the feet? Another reason I know its not heat in my circumstances is that it can happen within 1 second of the boot screen appearing, then i mechanically adjust the device and it works again immediately.

Comment

In my case, as soon as the tearing of the screen starts, you can no longer do anything, even if you apply pressure and the tearing disappears. The tablet will then switch off, and you must let it cool off, before it starts up again. Also, when I opened it up, it was piping hot, way over the heat tolerance of an electronic device. If you connect a USB keyboard and hit F7 as you startup the X8 you will see that it is set to automatically switch off when the temperature reached 95 F, which it most certainly did in my tests. I can only hope that the fan will do the trick. I will let you know.

Comment

pipo.... the new cowboy outfit.

Comment

Originally posted by m1pnk View Post
                      pipo.... the new cowboy outfit.

Haha yeh. Too bad that there are only a couple of small issues cos the device is great.

Comment

Good Afternoon Tek - An update on my Pipo X8: Yesterday I received an email from Tracy @ Pipo with a new version of the firmware to install. Upgrading the firmware seems to have stabilized the device as long as the two bottom screws are loosened (enough for me to slip a folded business card between the bottom of the case and rest of the body); I have been running the device for the last three hours with no issues, so while not pretty, it is better than having a door stop. I thank you for all your help, and if you want me to forward you the email with the firmware (I couldn't attach it to this post as the limit is 20K), give me your email and I will send it to you. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by probstc View Post
                          Good Afternoon Tek - An update on my Pipo X8: Yesterday I received an email from Tracy @ Pipo with a new version of the firmware to install. Upgrading the firmware seems to have stabilized the device as long as the two bottom screws are loosened (enough for me to slip a folded business card between the bottom of the case and rest of the body); I have been running the device for the last three hours with no issues, so while not pretty, it is better than having a door stop. I thank you for all your help, and if you want me to forward you the email with the firmware (I couldn't attach it to this post as the limit is 20K), give me your email and I will send it to you. Cheers!
                          Could you perhaps upload it to mega.nz or some other hoster? Would appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by probstc View Post

Good stuff. Not sure how effective this will be for me but I am willing to give it a go. Like the last poster said, It might be better to upload it to file sharing service so we can all grab a copy. Cheers.

Comment

All - After some research on creating cloud shares, here is the link to the file to download:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...ms&usp=sharing

As for the instructions, this is what Tracy at Pipo wrote me:

"please see the file in the attachment. Please have a try.

Please run by the rights of administrators, clicking the right side of your mouse in Windows."

As for another tidbit, which was of no use to me in troubleshooting, but seems to be the source files for Android and Windows for the Pipo X8, Geekbuying sent me this link:

http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2015/06/17/pipo-x8-dual-boot-system-upgrade-method-186834-20150617/

On a final note, after much pressure, GeekBuying.com offered me a $20 goodwill credit, so thanks to all the invaluable help I received and some tinkering, I have a "mostly working" Pipo X8 and a $20 credit I can use to buy more gadgets.

Comment

Working...
                              X