Pipo X8 information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipo X8 information

I'd like to get a Bay Trail computer-in-a-tiny-box, and I've seen the X8, which only costs a bit more than other Z3735F systems but has a screen. I like the idea of having a separate screen I can look up information on while retro-gaming, or things like that.

I've read a few reviews, and they all complain about excessive heating. I'm not afraid of dremels and soldering irons, so I'm wondering: if I put a lot of holes in the X8's casing, then opened it and placed a small fan blowing air straight on the heatsink, would this be sufficient to stop it from thermal-throttling or do I also need to get rid of the stock thin heatsink and apply some finned ones for RAMchips or similar?

Also, is it possible to do a complete SSD wipe and install Win8.1 all by itself? I don't need Android at all and would much rather have the additional space on the tiny internal memory.

Lastly, is the screen actually useful in the way I'm imagining it? Because I can get a Pipo X8 for €127, but an Ainol MiniPC is only €107 and is smaller, so if the screen is just a gimmick I'll get the cheaper device.

They are pretty good, sit it on a laptop cooler if heat worries you, cheap ones run of USB port easy.
    Shouldn't have to go to crazy with holes and heat sinks all over the place

These can be found cheaply as an idea only

Yes you can wipe and just put Windows only.

I did the following no problems
    http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...973#post506973

Cheers
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Working...
    X