No announcement yet.

CHUWI HiBox Mini PC Android 5.1 + Window 10 Dual OS 64bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just checking in to say how extremely disappointed I am with this device.

I bought the Chuwi Hibox Hero to replace my aging Beelink iOne (whose performance was never stellar but overall consistent and up to the task of an Android based TV player).

Three flaws immediately stand in the way of basic use as a standard TV player:
    1. In either Android or Windows, the player image display at full HD can't seem to fit my 46" Samsung flat screen, hopelessly overflowing the screen boundaries, making me having to decrease screen resolution all the way down to 1440x900 to be able to get the expected full view;
    2. Android isn't rooted (or rootable, ATM) making it impossible to install the IMHO absolute essential ViPER Audio processor (at least the Beelink came pre-rooted);
    3. Android component is unable to read NTFS formatted external media, although that's precisely the best choice for the Windows counterpart (I have a 1TB external HDD and surely you can't be expected to format such a device as FAT32! -- this coupled with the lack of rooting for testing alternative drivers/solutions is a real bummer...).

Overall, the Hibox Hero is a pleasant looking implementation of the dual OS concept, immediately let down by its screaming flaws. And you'll have to agree that in this price bracket one had plenty of better choices. I am forced to reckon the Hibox Hero isn't really aimed at the Android TV market, but rather at those who would like to have a Windows based TV player.

Comment

I don't have any issues with screen boundaries, so it may be worth looking at the TV settings.

An option for root would certainly be nice.

Total Commander and the Paragon USB plugin should enable you to get NTFS access without root.

R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
        I don't have any issues with screen boundaries, so it may be worth looking at the TV settings.
        I have. Nothing works -- apart from going into Android HDMI settings and reducing the resolution to 1440x900...

An option for root would certainly be nice.

Total Commander and the Paragon USB plugin should enable you to get NTFS access without root.
        You mean in Windows, right? I don't have a problem there, but thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by pnin View Post
          I have. Nothing works -- apart from going into Android HDMI settings and reducing the resolution to 1440x900...

You mean in Windows, right? I don't have a problem there, but thanks for your suggestions.

Total Commander is an android app.

Windows has native support for NTFS.

Comment

I see. Sorry for misunderstanding...

Comment

[QUOTE=pnin;n634073]Just checking in to say how extremely disappointed I am with this device.

I bought the Chuwi Hibox Hero to replace my aging Beelink iOne (whose performance was never stellar but overall consistent and up to the task of an Android based TV player).

Three flaws immediately stand in the way of basic use as a standard TV player:
              [LIST=1][*]In either Android or Windows, the player image display at full HD can't seem to fit my 46" Samsung flat screen, hopelessly overflowing the screen boundaries, making me having to decrease screen resolution all the way down to 1440x900 to be able to get the expected full view;[*]

Hi. I have this problem too... overflowing the screen boundaries, but i find the solutions, I have 52 PANASONIC Plasma TV and in the settings on TV i have options to overflowing the screen boundaries after i set this options OFF all work as i supose... I try before all to manage my windows settings nothing work and when i find that problem is in TV a feel like a ****** maybe this help to you...

Comment

Hi guys, I need your intake on my Q's.
                - I considering this Hibox for my old parents to be used for web/youtube (no kodi no 4k or games) nothing fancy.
                BUT...
                **I will need to connect a printer/scanner by the USB (6 years old brother)
                **I will need to connect mic for skype
                **Teamview...for remote support (by me)
                **other than english support. unicode typing and such...
                Does the installed W10 will let me do all that?

Will you recommend at all this device for such usage?
                The device will be connected by LAN and USB keyboard and mouse.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by maspik1 View Post
                  Hi guys, I need your intake on my Q's.
                  - I considering this Hibox for my old parents to be used for web/youtube (no kodi no 4k or games) nothing fancy.
                  BUT...
                  **I will need to connect a printer/scanner by the USB (6 years old brother)
                  **I will need to connect mic for skype
                  **Teamview...for remote support (by me)
                  **other than english support. unicode typing and such...
                  Does the installed W10 will let me do all that?

Will you recommend at all this device for such usage?
                  The device will be connected by LAN and USB keyboard and mouse.

Thank you.
                  On the Windows side of things, it's just like any other PC in terms of general functionality, so if Windows 10 supports the functionalities then there is no reason that the Hi10 won't do all that you want.

I have however read of a couple of people having some issues with using a Mic, although I have not tried that particular function myself.

I have connected a printer and used Teamviewer though.

Comment

Originally posted by pnin View Post
                    [*]In either Android or Windows, the player image display at full HD can't seem to fit my 46" Samsung flat screen, hopelessly overflowing the screen boundaries, making me having to decrease screen resolution all the way down to 1440x900 to be able to get the expected full view
                    I had this same problem with Wintel Pro CX-W8 Smart TV Box on my Sharp Aquos TV. I finally discovered the zoom/stretch button on the TV's remote solved the overscan problem. I had to turn OFF zoom or stretch mode on the remote control.

Comment

Does booting from USB or SD (linux, ubuntu) work?

Comment

Originally posted by androidgadget11 View Post
                        Does booting from USB or SD (linux, ubuntu) work?
                        I have successfully booted from a USB stick to create a backup.

Not tried a Linux live boot yet but it should work although you may find WiFi and BT not working from a standard installation.

This may be of interest

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/intel-based-tv-players/638749-linuxium-introduces-script-to-update-any-ubuntu-iso-files-to-linux-mainline-rc-kernel

Comment

I have successfully booted from a USB stick to create a backup.

Not tried a Linux live boot yet but it should work although you may find WiFi and BT not working from a standard installation.

This may be of interest

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/intel-based-tv-players/638749-linuxium-introduces-script-to-update-any-ubuntu-iso-files-to-linux-mainline-rc-kernel
                          What program did you use for backup?

I think to run Debian Jessie.

Comment

Originally posted by androidgadget11 View Post

What program did you use for backup?

I think to run Debian Jessie.
                            I used a little backup routine that somebody had created for the original dual boot Gole1

Gparted should probably do the trick too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzyfgyxnuyzsc4g/Backup.zip?dl=0

Comment

Does anyone know, is it possible to install a cooling fan on its board somehow?

Usually when i take a look at it, it is about 55-60°C, but if i could make a connection somehow i would install a little fan to make it a bit cooler, and therefore safer.
                              I have seen if it's under heavy load, it can be quite hot (around 80°C) and i think that's pretty much already. Tell me if i'm wrong, but i would like to have this box for a while without frying it.

I saw the pictures from the PCB shot by trebor and on the 3rd picture (which is a bit bigger than the previous 2), i can see on the left top 'corner' 3 holes beside each other. Can those be the location of a 3-pin cooler's connector?

Or if you know about it better, just tell me if it is not necessary at all.

Thanks in advance.
                              Last edited by m6tth3w; 05-20-2017, 21:54. Reason: grammar

Comment

As it is pretty much a sealed box a few vent holes bottom and side would help.
                                Not sure about the 3 pin connector you mention.

As its tight for space in that box.
                                A few holes in the Under side, sit atop a laptop cooler or fan run from USB port would be easy.
                                treboR
                                Please consider
                                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Working...
                                X