Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing only ubuntu 14.04 on the meego

Hi all

I am trying to install only ubuntu 14.04 on the meego, and I am not succeeding

With the manual of Ian, I coult get the ubuntu on the emmc installed and booted via the usb grub.cfg
    I also could do this part

sudo su -
    umount /media/*
    apt-get update
    apt-get -y remove grub-efi-amd64
    apt-get -y install grub-efi-ia32
    update-grub2
    e2label /dev/mmcblk0p2 Ubuntu

I adapted all the partition to the 2 because the one is the boot partition en 2 is where Ubuntu is.
    When I look in the mmcblk0p1, I see now there is a 32 bit version of the efi boot

when I reboot the Meego without the USB I am getting, I think the, EFI shell or something.

Does any body have an idea where it goes wrong .

DB,

Last edited by dirtyballs; 02-07-2015, 20:47.

Originally posted by dirtyballs View Post
    Hi all

I am trying to install only ubuntu 14.04 on the meego, and I am not succeeding

With the manual of Ian, I coult get the ubuntu on the emmc installed and booted via the usb grub.cfg
    I also could do this part

sudo su -
    umount /media/*
    apt-get update
    apt-get -y remove grub-efi-amd64
    apt-get -y install grub-efi-ia32
    update-grub2
    e2label /dev/mmcblk0p2 Ubuntu

I adapted all the partition to the 2 because the one is the boot partition en 2 is where Ubuntu is.
    When I look in the mmcblk0p1, I see now there is a 32 bit version of the efi boot

when I reboot the Meego without the USB I am getting, I think the, EFI shell or something.

Does any body have an idea where it goes wrong .

DB,

My instructions required a Windows installation (either a new Windows 10 or the pre-existing Windows 8.1) was installed on your device prior to installing Ubuntu. It looks like you have either installed Ubuntu over the Windows partition or perhaps deleted Windows or part of the Windows installation and then tried installing Ubuntu?

Eitherway if you cannot boot from the device now it sounds like your grub has problems. Why not try 'boot-repair' see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair to fix your grub installation ... hint: you might need to play with the 'Advanced options' to get it back to a working state.

Comment

It was my intention to remove Windows. :-)
      But I put back the backup I made, and started from the beginning. except I wanted to reuse the windows 8.1 installation. So I removed the 2 partitions 4 ad 5. and installed ubuntu 14.04 again.
      Almost same result I can boot installed ubuntu on the mmc via the USB boot. But when I
      did the remove of the 64 bit EFI boot and installed the 32 bit EFI , booting from the mmc completely stopped working also for windows.
      Does the image partition do something for windows. I think so because it should a have triggered me, when I couldn't removed it from windows :-)

Putting back the backup again.
      The Meego doesn't give way that easy :-)

DB,

Comment

so removing the recovery partition breaks windows 8 :-)

DB

Comment

Now I have 24.10 running beside windows 8.1

I removed the program partition, and installed 14.10 without swap. the prosedure of ian works very will in this combination.

One thing that I have is that I have 2 ubuntu entries now in the boot manager.
          Will fix that later.

First do all the updates, and software installs that I want.
          Make a backup of the mmc.

Then I am going to look at the boot partition to see if I can make it a full Ubuntu boot only device.

DB,

Comment

tried to get rid of the recovery partition. That seems not possible any more.

There is a manual, that states that if you make a recovery usb stick that at
            the end you get the choice to delete the recovery partition. That option is not
            there any more.

I already had installed al the updates.

DB

Comment

Working...
            X