This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deadhp1 View Post
    I just had a power failure while flashing and now my t01 is bricked...It just sits there blinking that blue led.
    I'll have to dig out my chip programmer/clip set in order to fix it.
    Ouch! How do you program the EEPROM externally? That's pretty cool...normally I thought a failed flash == new paper weight.
    Last edited by CajunAzn; 03-24-2015, 01:37.

Comment

Originally posted by CajunAzn View Post
      Good research and thanks for the uploads! This really makes the stick function conveniently like it's supposed to.

I've got this running on Windows 10. For anyone who upgrades and doesn't have the base drivers, here are the essentials (credits to semjase from XDAForums):

I'm curious, is anyone also running this off a TV usb port? I have this setup so that when my TV powers on, the MeeGo stick also boots up. However, I've found that the power draw is slightly too high (at high CPU loads) for a single port.

I'm going to do some testing running with a Y-cable, but for reference does anyone know of any TVs with 2.1A output on at least 1 usb port?

Thanks!
      I originally tried running it off a 1.5 A usb port on my tv (I know it needs 2A but i thought I'd give it a try) it DID work for lightweight tasks, but as soon as you got into a heavier workload eg. HD video the power draw would be too great and the stick would power off. TVs in china all have 2A USB ports which is why the are marketed as working from TV USB. I never thought of using a USB Y cable, that should work for me as i have a 1.5A and a 0.5A port not in use (my tv has 4 usb ports) although I don't think this is a solution for everyone as most TV's have 2 ports at the most, but I will order one off **** and see how it goes, it would make for a far tidier solution.

Comment

Hello,

First of all, thank you for sharing all of these valuable informations.

For me, the Meegopad works great being powered by the USB port on my TV, regardless of the load, with a usb hub, a keyboard and a mouse. It's a Philips 32-inch FullHD TV, bought in 2005.

Unfortunately, I encounter the same problem as marinica1967.

When I try to flash the BIOS, I get an error 280.

I bought my Meegopad in March. Maybe they are locked now, due to the leak of the OEM BIOS ?

Thank in advance to those who can help me.

Comment

Originally posted by stewartie4 View Post
          I originally tried running it off a 1.5 A usb port on my tv (I know it needs 2A but i thought I'd give it a try) it DID work for lightweight tasks, but as soon as you got into a heavier workload eg. HD video the power draw would be too great and the stick would power off. TVs in china all have 2A USB ports which is why the are marketed as working from TV USB. I never thought of using a USB Y cable, that should work for me as i have a 1.5A and a 0.5A port not in use (my tv has 4 usb ports) although I don't think this is a solution for everyone as most TV's have 2 ports at the most, but I will order one off **** and see how it goes, it would make for a far tidier solution.
          Just to follow up, I did try it with Y-cable in I think the exact config you described (there are actually no current ratings labeled so I'm just making an educated guess) and it works!

Under high load, I notice this device throttles heavily...sometimes down to 500MHz. While very annoying, this actually might help to alleviate the current overdraw problem lol.

On the other hand, if you have some tweak on how to disable the throttling (or at least keep it at 1Gz) that would be totally awesome! Right now, the only annoyance I am experiencing is in decoding some high-bit rate codecs (or processing styled subs) which may lock up the system while streaming media.

Thanks again!

Comment

I'm curious, is anyone also running this off a TV usb port? I have this setup so that when my TV powers on, the MeeGo stick also boots up. However, I've found that the power draw is slightly too high (at high CPU loads) for a single port.

I'm going to do some testing running with a Y-cable, but for reference does anyone know of any TVs with 2.1A output on at least 1 usb port?

Thanks!
            I have two Samsung TV's. One 2007 model that has underpowered USB ports and flakes out on high power draw. And one 2013 model that has 2+amp port and works good.

For the older TV I bought a power tail 2 (http://www.powerswitchtail.com/Pages/default.aspx) to handle power switching.

Under high load, I notice this device throttles heavily...sometimes down to 500MHz. While very annoying, this actually might help to alleviate the current overdraw problem lol.

On the other hand, if you have some tweak on how to disable the throttling (or at least keep it at 1Gz) that would be totally awesome! Right now, the only annoyance I am experiencing is in decoding some high-bit rate codecs (or processing styled subs) which may lock up the system while streaming media.
            I was getting throttling as well. However I don't believe It was lack of adequate power, my thought was heat. And with that thought I fashioned and strapped on a big honking heatsink. It seems to have done the trick. no more thermal throttling of the cpu.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0393.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	437559Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0394.jpg
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	437560Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0396.jpg
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	437561

Hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by kjen View Post
              And with that thought I fashioned and strapped on a big honking heatsink. It seems to have done the trick. no more thermal throttling of the cpu.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]10988[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10989[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10990[/ATTACH]
              Ok that's hardcore. I see you even added an antenna. Props man.

I briefly thought about attaching a heat sink, but then I was like "man, I bought this to reduce clutter". But your mod gave me an idea: why not simply remove the plastic casing entirely and slap a metal plate across the cpu? Has anyone opened this up?

I have two Samsung TV's. One 2007 model that has underpowered USB ports and flakes out on high power draw. And one 2013 model that has 2+amp port and works good.

For the older TV I bought a power tail 2
              Which model is the 2013 Samsung? I have a Samsung UN40HU7000, which has 3 USB ports. I think highest rated one is the USB3.0 port for external hard drives. I thought it was a 2.1A port, but under load the MeegoPad would still shut down. Had to use the Y-cable for stable operation, leading me to believe it was a 1.5A port.

Also curious, how does the Power Tail provide power for the MeegoPad? From the specs it looks like an AC transformer controlled by a DC signal.

Comment

Ok that's hardcore. I see you even added an antenna. Props man.

I briefly thought about attaching a heat sink, but then I was like "man, I bought this to reduce clutter". But your mod gave me an idea: why not simply remove the plastic casing entirely and slap a metal plate across the cpu? Has anyone opened this up?
                The heatsinks are attached directly to the CPU shield with thermal grease and copper wire (as a strap). On one I just popped of the cover and strapped the heatsink on. On the one with the antenna I cut a hole in the cover and fit the heatsink through the hole. for a bit of a cleaner look. The two Meego's I have are living behind the displays, so out of sight out of mind.

Which model is the 2013 Samsung?
                A UN65H7150AF.

Also curious, how does the Power Tail provide power for the MeegoPad? From the specs it looks like an AC transformer controlled by a DC signal.
                It's an opto coupled switch. It senses low voltage power on the input (in my case the power from the TV's USB port). And when it senses the low voltage it switches on the AC power, where the Meego's transformer is plugged in to.

On a side note. The antenna mod works very well too.

Comment

many thanks for your work. Can you upload the bios version without Meegopad logo? Changing the logo with tools like 8oot Logo Changer does not work (because of UEFI?).

Comment

The heatsinks are attached directly to the CPU shield with thermal grease and copper wire (as a strap). On one I just popped of the cover and strapped the heatsink on. On the one with the antenna I cut a hole in the cover and fit the heatsink through the hole. for a bit of a cleaner look. The two Meego's I have are living behind the displays, so out of sight out of mind.
                    On a side note. The antenna mod works very well too.
                    Interesting, I was thinking actually using a folded copper sheet with thermal paste (heatsink hamburger!) held in place with clips. I need to keep a thin profile because my TV is mounted flush to the wall. The only problem is keeping a good wireless signal. Could you describe how you connected the antenna internally?

Thanks!

Comment

Could you describe how you connected the antenna internally?
                      Thanks!
                      It's a standard SMB pigtail and antenna. All scraped from an old router. Similar to ( http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-WIFI-.../dp/B005TX3GE0 )

Comment

i was excited to find this thread and was about to flash the autostart bios until i read a couple of comments where people have been unable to enter the bios using F7 after the flash.. getting some error code suggesting the bios had been locked.

That would be a serious impediment. I haven't flashed the bios yet and will wait or the experience of other users.

So.. does flashing this bios lock us out or not.?

Comment

Originally posted by marinica1967 View Post
                          please help!

hi,
                          i have a meego too and i flash this bios.My stick now has auto power on but i can not use f7 key to enter in my stick bios.i try to reflash the bios but i can not.Error 280: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space!
                          i can not boot from usb stick.My stick run only in windows 8.1.if the windows brocken in the future what can i do?
                          if you know how can i disable my bios protection and use again f7 key to enter in my bios pls tell me
                          sorry for my bad english,hope you understand my problem
                          have a nice day

Hi.. did you find a way to solve this problem or are you still locked out of the bios.?

Comment

Originally posted by dasag123 View Post
                            i was excited to find this thread and was about to flash the autostart bios until i read a couple of comments where people have been unable to enter the bios using F7 after the flash.. getting some error code suggesting the bios had been locked.

That would be a serious impediment. I haven't flashed the bios yet and will wait or the experience of other users.

So.. does flashing this bios lock us out or not.?

That's not what people are saying. They're saying they are locked out by default and cannot flash, not that flashing locks them out. Knowing meegopad it is very possible they have started

Comment

ok you are saying Meego may have locked the bios on later versions of the T01.?

But anyway you had no problems entering bios after flashing the 'auto auto power on bios'.?

I just wanted to check before i flash it.!!

Thanks..

Comment

this resolve error 280

Comment

Working...
                                X