This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GUIDE] Enable MeeGoPad Auto Power On

Hi guys, I have exciting news to share today!

We all know the design flaw that requires the power button to be pressed. This is by design as meegopad only gives sticks out with auto power on to embedded vendors who order in bulk.
    There are options in the BIOS but these will brick your stick.
    Having an auto power on stick would be much more useful for TV and embedded applications.

***Fortunately*** a seller accidentally sent me an "bulk order" stick that DOES power on automatically without the need to press the power button. The only difference between the sticks is the BIOS version.

I am pleased to report that I have successfully transferred the BIOS from my 'auto-on' meegopad to my 2 other normal sticks (white and black models) via a simple BIOS flash. The zip contains all you will need and requires nothing more than running a file as an administrator.

Steps:

1. Make sure your meegopad is connected to a reliable power source and does not suffer from any random crashes or reboots.

2. Extract the zip file.

3. Right click and run update.bat as an administrator. If there is no output you can run 'fptw -f EMBEDDED_OEM_BIOS_DUMP.bin' from an administrator command prompt pointing to the extracted files directory.

You should see a command window with progress updates, the entire flash only takes 90 seconds or so.

4. Shutdown your meegopad T01 and unplug the power. When you plug it back in you will notice that the blue LED stays lit and windows will begin to boot without the power button being pressed.

Please note the file is flagged as a virus by firefox etc. This is a false positive due to the fact that the files contained modifies your BIOS.
    Virus test results: https://www.metascan-online.com/en/s...22cf4e7ee1c27f

DOWNLOAD LINK:
    Securely upload your files, media and documents to more than 30 cloud storage providers simultaneosuly. Remote Upload files to Google Drive and many other hosts.

PASSWORD: freaktab.com

YouTube Video:
    Updating your meegopad t01 BIOS and enabling auto power-onFreaktab thread: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?23577-GUIDE-Enable-MeeGoPad-Auto-Power-OnOv...

**T01 Original BIOS Dump (auto power on disabled)**
    Securely upload your files, media and documents to more than 30 cloud storage providers simultaneosuly. Remote Upload files to Google Drive and many other hosts.
    Last edited by stewartie4; 03-03-2015, 21:33. Reason: Updated link to remove bad hosts

I am going to try it, then we als i know if it works with the dual boot that I have

DB

Comment

Edit:
      It seems to be a false positive. I downloaded the file from another server and it seems to be OK.

This file was originally uploaded on February 18.

I just tried to download it using Firefox, got a list of servers, randomly selected uploaded.net, and I got the following message:

meegopad_t01_auto_power.zip
      Blocked: May contain a virus or spyware - uploaded.net - 14:00

It is the first time I encountered such an error, I searched for it, and as it seems it has to do with a security feature of Firefox supporting Google Safe Browsing.

It seems that this file is flagged by Google Safe Browsing for some reason. I do not want to raise any concerns, but I had to report this.
      Last edited by loko; 03-02-2015, 13:28.

Comment

Hi I've a pipo x7 (atom 3736f) with the same g3 - s0 entry which don't works, I'm also interested to get the device auto power on, could you check if there is a different bios entry?
        Thankyou

Comment

An older firefox at http://www11.zippyshare.com/v/qJxUw8e7/file.html works fine...
          RK3288 Devices
          - Overview BOX (LINK !)
          - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
          UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

I download it, flashed it to a meego with only windows 8.1.

first time I switched off and on the power ( 220v ) Nothing happened.
            after unplugging the USB it started very fast, very fast ~4 sec
            so switching of the power off and on will not trigger reboot, the power supply keeps voltage on the USB.

So confirmed dis BIOS update works. typed this message from updated meego.

Now I need to do it to my multi boot, I am first going to make a full backup BiOS and mmc :-)

DB,

thanks Stewart
            Last edited by dirtyballs; 03-02-2015, 21:33.

Comment

Originally posted by loko View Post
              Edit:
              It seems to be a false positive. I downloaded the file from another server and it seems to be OK.

This file was originally uploaded on February 18.

I just tried to download it using Firefox, got a list of servers, randomly selected uploaded.net, and I got the following message:

meegopad_t01_auto_power.zip
              Blocked: May contain a virus or spyware - uploaded.net - 14:00

It is the first time I encountered such an error, I searched for it, and as it seems it has to do with a security feature of Firefox supporting Google Safe Browsing.

It seems that this file is flagged by Google Safe Browsing for some reason. I do not want to raise any concerns, but I had to report this.
              My mistake I forgot to mention it may flag as a false positive due to ftpw.exe (a virus using that could brick your machine)

Glad it's worked out for you anyway!
              Last edited by stewartie4; 03-03-2015, 21:25.

Comment

Originally posted by ronfante1 View Post
                Hi I've a pipo x7 (atom 3736f) with the same g3 - s0 entry which don't works, I'm also interested to get the device auto power on, could you check if there is a different bios entry?
                Thankyou
                I don't have a G3 but one would assume that if it is the same BIOS it should work, however I highly recommend against trying it just encase you brick your box

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
                  An older firefox at http://www11.zippyshare.com/v/qJxUw8e7/file.html works fine...
                  I use the latest Firefox 36 and the false positive is displayed only if you try to download the file from uploaded.net. You can download the file from any other server without any problem. If you try to download it from uploaded.net, the download starts normally, but after it reaches 100% the warning is invoked. Weird things do happen.

Originally posted by stewartie4 View Post
                  Glad it's worked out for you anyway!
                  Well, as a matter of fact, I do not own a MeeGoPad, I just downloaded the file to try to edit the BIOS and see the available options. I would like to compare it with the original one too. Is there any link of the original MeeGoPad BIOS? It would be better that both versions existed in the provided file, to be able to revert to the old behaviour.

I am waiting for my PiPo X7, and I wonder if this BIOS can be flashed to the PiPo X7, since the devices are similar. I would also like to try flashing the Minix 64-bit BIOS to the PiPo X7. To be on the safe side, I will desolder and save the original chip, and conduct these tests on some spare chips.

This is the official PiPo X7 BIOS:
                  百度网盘为您提供文件的网络备份、同步和分享服务。空间大、速度快、安全稳固,支持教育网加速,支持手机端。注册使用百度网盘即可享受免费存储空间

You can download AMI BIOS Configuration Program 4.55.0070 from the following links:

This is not exactly the appropriate version, but contrary to version 4.53.0050, it can open the binary file, so you can get a sneak peek at least.

P.S. The mediafire link is alive for over one year. Is there any licensing issue concerning linking to the AMI BIOS Configuration Program? If so, please edit the message and delete the links. Anyone can Google for it anyway.

Comment

Is there any link of the original MeeGoPad BIOS? It would be better that both versions existed in the provided file, to be able to revert to the old behaviour.
                    Here's the original T01 BIOS along with a dump from a stick with a newer version number

Comment

Sorry about the original link guys just realised it was labelled as pointing to mirrorcreator.com but was actually pointing to another mirror I have - don't know how that happened but the links are fixed now

Comment

It just crossed my mind, though it can be wrong. Please confirm it.

It is common for manufacturers to provide binary files to upgrade your BIOS.

The provided binary files in this thread are actually dumped from working computers.

The first BIOS version was not properly compiled, thus not having the true option to enable Auto Power On, even if selected so from the BIOS (State After G3 = S0 or S5). This problem seems to have been addressed in the second BIOS version.

As you may now, the first batch of MeeGoPad sticks shipped with a trial version of Windows 8.1 Pro. There was no Windows 8.1 with Bing license embedded in the BIOS. There was a huge disappointment about that, since users had to pay for a full Windows license. Also, there was a licensing issue, since trial Windows versions cannot be included in retail products.

Newer devices have a higher price, and include an embedded license for Windows 8.1 with Bing.

Since the provided binary files are actually dumped from working computers, there is a chance that the second file includes a Windows 8.1 with Bing license, and by flashing it you may enjoy activated Windows in the older devices.

I do not know where or how exactly the Windows license is embedded in the BIOS, or if the dumped BIOS includes a Windows license, but if these licenses are unique, then by installing it to multiple devices there could be a licensing problem.

Comment

:

Since the provided binary files are actually dumped from working computers, there is a chance that the second file includes a Windows 8.1 with Bing license, and by flashing it you may enjoy activated Windows in the older devices.

:
                          Of course I can't be sure, but I don't think so, because normally these keys are stored at a separate section which doesn't effects by an update and the dump with the AMI tool is the same as an update only the other way...
                          RK3288 Devices
                          - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                          - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                          UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

There are a lot of BIOS modules, and a BIOS update file does not necessarily have to update all of them. Any license related modules of course do not get updated under a normal updating procedure.

I do not know if stewartie4 used the manufacturer provided tools to extract the BIOS, or a programmer to dump its contents.

If you dump the BIOS using a programmer, all the information will be extracted to the binary file. If you flash this image to a different machine using a programmer, the information will be definitely cloned.

I still do not know if flashing this programmer dumped file with the manufacturer provided tools restores all information, including license, or not.

Comment

The original link is a virus...

Edit, watch out some of the DL links in the list will make you download a rar.exe, DO NOT RUN.

Comment

Working...
                              X