Possible workaround for poor WiFi streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible workaround for poor WiFi streaming

I recently did some testing to figure out why the MeeGo Pad was getting inconsistent streaming speeds: it appears that certain mouse/remote USB dongles can interfere with the antenna.

While using a USB wireless remote/keypad I noticed the streaming speeds go from an initial 1.4MB/s quickly drop to 700KB/s and then cut off completely. After 5-10 seconds the connection will resume, then drop again. This inconsistency creates buffering problems that will crash most video players.

I suspect the cause is interference on the 2.4GHz band due to poor antenna location relative to the USB port. I was using a mini-sized USB dongle (~5mm thick), so a larger may not have this problem.

As a workaround, I recommend using a Bluetooth-based air mouse/keyboard to limit the signal interference. Using Bluetooth, I noticed a sustained 4MB/s transfer rate, which sufficient for most high quality BR rips.

Hope that helps everybody!

Can't wait for a stick to release with wireless AC...

Some Android tv box's /stick's have the same problem, A few people plug the USB dongles into a 50cm usb extension lead which fix's the problem
    Please consider making a Donation to freakTab

Comment

Originally posted by blinkone View Post
      A few people plug the USB dongles into a 50cm usb extension lead which fix's the problem
      Hehe, I love the lengths we go to just for the sake of perfect performance.

50cm cables, bulging heatsinks, and grafted antennae-- we really do justice to the name "FreakTab"

Comment

Working...
      X