X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loko View Post
    32-bit UEFIs are designed to boot only 32-bit operating systems
    64-bit UEFIs are designed to boot only 64-bit operating systems

Since 32-bit operating systems are somehow obsolete, and since Microsoft decided that 32-bit Windows 7 will never become UEFI compatible, almost all computers have 64-bit UEFIs and are capable of booting only 64-bit operating systems.

Intel Bay Trail processors were deemed not powerful enough to run 64-bit Windows 8/8.1, so Microsoft made 32-bit Windows 8/8.1 UEFI compatible, and the manufacturers of mini Windows devices started using 32-bit UEFIs to boot 32-bit Windows 8/8.1. These devices having 32-bit UEFIs cannot normally boot 64-bit operating systems.

If a device runs 32-bit Windows 8.1, it means it has a 32-bit UEFI. If a device runs 64-bit Windows 8.1, it means it has a 64-bit UEFI.

Since UEFI compatible Linux distributions are 64-bit, you cannot boot them in a system having a 32-bit UEFI. There are some patches being made for 64-bit Linux distributions to run under a 32-bit UEFI, but there are many problems. OpenELEC needs a 64-bit UEFI.

Your chances may be higher with the Android version of MINIX Neo Z64, which has a 64-bit UEFI. There may be other incompatibilities though, so you just have to wait until things become clear.
    Ok! Thanks. But I think it should not take long. In teclast tablets have dual boot windows and android. With 32b and 64b in windows in android and works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by pantench View Post
      Ok! Thanks. But I think it should not take long. In teclast tablets have dual boot windows and android. With 32b and 64b in windows in android and works fine.
      Teclast tablets have 32GB and 64GB ROMs.

We are talking about 32-bit and 64-bit computing.

Having a 64GB ROM has nothing to do with having a 64-bit UEFI.

You want to run 64-bit OpenELEC, so you need a device having a 64-bit UEFI.

Teclast tablets have 32-bit UEFIs, so they run 32-bit Windows 8.1 and 32-bit Android and they cannot run 64-bit operating systems.

Comment

No DUAL boot but Galland's way(s) to use Linux
              I have recently received the latest Minix Neo Z64 , courtesy of Minix. This TV Box is equipped with an Intel x86 processor, an Atom 3...
        RK3288 Devices
        - Overview BOX (LINK !)
        - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
        UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
        Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
        Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
        Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

I tried this but it doesn't seem to boot. Everything is installed but It can't find the efi files even though I installed the packages.

I did use chroot to install the ia32 efi package, because I only have a TV at my disposal... I can't use the grub step to boot Ubuntu (display will go black after two seconds for some strange reason).

Do you know how I can fix this? I tried boot repair but that didn't work need either.

Comment

Originally posted by Relativity View Post
            I tried this but it doesn't seem to boot. Everything is installed but It can't find the efi files even though I installed the packages.

I did use chroot to install the ia32 efi package, because I only have a TV at my disposal... I can't use the grub step to boot Ubuntu (display will go black after two seconds for some strange reason).

Do you know how I can fix this? I tried boot repair but that didn't work need either.

This is superseded ... nobody seemed particularly interested ... but anyway ...
            read https://plus.google.com/+IanMORRISON/posts/UNWdwRMqy3j then https://plus.google.com/+IanMORRISON/posts/fBSkiAYFvgF and use https://plus.google.com/+IanMORRISON/posts/igAkD5j3MAq

Comment

Originally posted by linuxium View Post
              You're the best!

I'm gonna try it in a moment. Dunno what's going wrong...

Comment

Strange i installed the latest version, but it still won't boot Ubuntu?

I used rufus to install it on a usb stick and follow the instruction from Ubuntu. After flashing i entered the bios and tried to boot Ubuntu, but it just goes straight back to the bios after that. What can i do?

Comment

Originally posted by Relativity View Post

Strange i installed the latest version, but it still won't boot Ubuntu?

I used rufus to install it on a usb stick and follow the instruction from Ubuntu. After flashing i entered the bios and tried to boot Ubuntu, but it just goes straight back to the bios after that. What can i do?

Rufus works but you can always use 'dd' on Linux as an alternative.

Comment

Rufus works but you can always use 'dd' on Linux as an alternative.
                    Thanks I will try. If I go the the bios and select Ubuntu manually (override) it does work and I can boot Ubuntu. It doesn't work however when I just to start the minix...

Comment

DD worked for me thanks allot!

Is it possible to update to the latest version of Ubuntu?
                      And how can i integrate the wifi and audio driver in a newer kernel?

Would copying the ko to the kernel libraries and loading it with depmod suffice?
                      Last edited by Relativity; 08-25-2015, 19:03.

Comment

Working...
                      X