Minix z64 android cannot root

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minix z64 android cannot root

I tried replying to the sticky about rooting the z64, but I thought I'd explain my problem better with this new post.

In case anyone is thinking of buying a Minix Z64 Android to use as home network media server as well as using it as a TV media player.

I wanted to replace my ageing WD Live box as it was getting more and more problems with newer codecs and the updates have now dried up.

I'm very pleased with the Z64, but there's one really big negative that I didn't foresee. The WD Live had a built-in samba server that windows PCs could easily access the attached 3tb USB drive to either view the content or upload files to it. The Z64 however, has this Samba problem that I was unaware of that cannot enable Windows network access via SMB server without being rooted. What a bummer....

If I'd known this before I bought it, I'd have gone for the Windows version instead, but I really like Android and always try to reduce my dependency on Bill Gates.

So I was very relieved to see this forum's instructions on how to root the Z64, and gathered all the files and watched the videos.

Still no joy though, although my Z64 connects to my network ok via the ethernet cable, the wifi keeps connecting and verifying continuously every few seconds, so won't lock in. (My Pipo Android tablet has no problem with the same BT router, so it's not my network).

Also, I tried running the Wifi ADB prog on my tablet to test that, and it says it needs the device to already be rooted, so it looks as though I can't use that method to root my z64 anyway. Does this mean that the Wifi ADB app has now been nobbled, since the rooting instructions were created ?

Any help or ideas on this would be much appreciated, I'd really prefer to stay with Android rather than go over to Windows.

I thought I'd better post a follow up to my post in case someone reads this and it puts them off the Z64.

As I mentioned on the sticky thread about rooting that box, I have now rooted it ok, following the forum's instructions on there.

I guess the reason it didn't work was because my wifi connection wasn't steady. When I tried it again the following day though, it was steady, and the wifi adb app worked perfectly, exactly as described.

I now have a sambadroid app running on the z64 from bootup, and it gives me full access from any of my PCs, to stream files, or read and write them.

Thanks to the forum.

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Working...
      X