This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIOS Settings AND MODDING Discussions

While the BIOS seems limited it has all kinds of stuff I have NO IDEA what it does!

We will learn more I am sure.

BUT there are 2 settings that are interesting.

1) Graphic Boost - This is off by default. I will play with this at some point.

2) SDcard DDR speed. USB devices are fast on this box. Been transferring all kinds of 2+ Gig ISO's back and forth. But SDcard is not as fast as my good USB sticks. So I am going to see if using a fast SDcard I use in my GoPro 3+ black edition can handle the BIOS DDR speed increase.

More to come!

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

2)
    I don't think they talk about external SD at 'SDcard DDR speed'...
    BTW:
    To find out which spec (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speeds) the build-in SD reader use, you should do a performance test with a SD which is at Sequential Read faster then e.g. 30 MB/s (use e.g. CrystalDiskMark (http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html) you can also find it as portable-version)... I bet spec 2.00 (25 MB/s), and that's why your USB is faster than the SD...
    But believe my, the Sequential Read/Write (maybe also random 512K) at real life (if you want to expand the internal eMMC/NAND) are not really important... more important are the smaller blocks and that's why I wrote => http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post272141
    RK3288 Devices
    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Because the embedded BIOS is the 'AMI Aptio' (CRB) try to get/find
      AMI’s set of utilities for BIOS ROM image customization without rebuilding the firmware provide a clear advantage in reducing time and cost.

e.g. 'AMI BIOS Configuration Program (AMIBCP)'
      But I think you need the bios-file ( I don't know it you can extract it from the device)...
      Also have a look at http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...ml#post8242469

BUT HANDLE WITH CARE !!!
      RK3288 Devices
      - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
      Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
      Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
      Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

I have Pipo searching for a 64bit BIOS for us that is compatible with this device, but they don't currently have one. As of yesterday, they were contacting the engineers who designed the motherboard to see if a 64bit BIOS is available or even possible. Stay tuned.
        Randy
        Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
        Read my BIO Here
        Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
        Donate here

Comment

Alternatively a Legacy boot option would be useful - so we could use MBR BIOS style booting rather than GPT UEFI? (A bit like the Chromebook/boxes have)

Comment

Originally posted by noggin View Post
            Alternatively a Legacy boot option would be useful - so we could use MBR BIOS style booting rather than GPT UEFI? (A bit like the Chromebook/boxes have)
            I second this ideal would be 64bit uefi but 32bit with legacy boot would be a close second

Comment

Is there a reason MBR BIOS booting won't work with eMMC? (It works with M2. SSDs)

Comment

Is there a reason MBR BIOS booting won't work with eMMC? (It works with M2. SSDs)
                The BIOS in this does not have a legacy option! I wish it did!

Bob

Comment

Sorry - you misread my (badly written) post.

I meant is there a reason that a BIOS that booted from MBR (if we had one) wouldn't work with eMMC?

Comment

I am now getting confused . From the various posts, this is what I understand, this has UEFI, but no legacy BIOS option in UEFI. Is this right? (Maybe, I should get one of these devices to tinker ).

For Windows system, it has always been BIOS + MBR or UEFI + GPT. There are ways to boot Windows 7/8 from a GPT disk on a BIOS system - http://www.sevenforums.com/installat...mbrs-duet.html

If this device doesn't have a legacy BIOS option, those methods are all irrelevant.

Comment

These devices have 32bit UEFI only. No 64bit UEFI. No Legacy BIOS.

Comment

Thanks for making that clear .

Comment

AND here is the strange part which has made it difficult for me to learn.... UEFI is suppose to be 64 bit only! Yet it boots a UEFI 32 bit disk! Freakin strange! Everywhere I read most people say NO UEFI 32 bit support in UEFI only BIOS.... WTF
                          Obviously this is not true for the Pipo X7.....

I actually almost got Win 7 from an ISO to install but after install it wont boot due to missing drivers for EMMC, etc.

Anyway.... We need a 64bit BIOS, we need BIOS legacy support, etc. For what it is right now, it's hard to get stuff working based on current info out there!

But I have managed to do pretty well considering I knew nothing about UEFI 2 days ago!

Bob

Comment

I think UEFI 32 bit is quite rare these days (32 bit CPU Intel Macs had it apparently), but I don't think UEFI has to be 64 bit only.

I think that the prevailing standards are that 32 bit systems use a BIOS and that most UEFI implementations are 64 bit. This is why the Baytrail systems are causing issues. (There are rumblings that originally the power-saving tablet-friendly bits of Win 8.1 were only implemented in the 32 bit version - hence these devices shipping with a 32 bit Windows - and thus a 32 bit UEFI being needed?)

I think that a UEFI firmware with 64 bit compatibility AND Legacy BIOS would be great... Not sure we'll see it...

Comment

:
                              I think that a UEFI firmware with 64 bit compatibility AND Legacy BIOS would be great... Not sure we'll see it...
                              If 64 bit compatibility also includes 32 bit, then +1
                              RK3288 Devices
                              - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Working...
                              X