Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My temps are very high 85c and that is with a quite large passiv heatsink. I measured with a ir-gun and backside off pcb is 72c when under load for a while.

Seems like a fan is needed for my device.

Last edited by Trhuster; 02-21-2015, 17:10.

Comment

Did you use thermal adhesive beyond the coolers?

Did you put the hetsinks on the alu plate?

Do they have full contact to the chips?

What is the material of the heatsinks?

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby-Doo View Post
        Did you use thermal adhesive beyond the coolers?

Did you put the hetsinks on the alu plate?

Do they have full contact to the chips?

What is the material of the heatsinks?
        Heatsink is alu.

Yes i have thermal compund between heatsink and alu plate. Heat transfering is ok, with ir-gun heatsink is 60c under load. It is just so much heat for a passive fan to get rid off, i see no way to get this to below 60c without a fan.

And this is with the pcb outside the case even. I see our boardlayouts are not exactly the same.
        Last edited by Trhuster; 02-21-2015, 17:31.

Comment

I think the best possible variant of additional cooling is to use the old GeForce 7xxx series low profile copper heatsinks with fan, mounted using thermal glue directly on the CPU. Powering from DC input 12v.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathode View Post
            I think the best possible variant of additional cooling is to use the old GeForce 7xxx series low profile copper heatsinks with fan, mounted using thermal glue directly on the CPU. Powering from DC input 12v.
            Do it! Then post your results.

Comment

Originally posted by Trhuster View Post
              Heatsink is alu.

Yes i have thermal compund between heatsink and alu plate. Heat transfering is ok, with ir-gun heatsink is 60c under load. It is just so much heat for a passive fan to get rid off, i see no way to get this to below 60c without a fan.

And this is with the pcb outside the case even. I see our boardlayouts are not exactly the same.
              If you do not attach a heatsink properly, the thermal result can be worse than not having a heatsink at all. It is obvious that you do not have proper contact between the chips and the heatsink. By using a large continuous heatsink, you may have lifted the metal plate a little bit, so the stock thermal pads do not ensure proper contact between the chips and the metal plate. Remove the metal plate and replace the thermal pads with good quality ones. You may have to use thicker thermal pads, soft enough to be able to be compressed. If I were you, I would try using some compressible Phobya Ultra 1.5mm or even 2mm ones.

Comment

Waiting for mine Pipo X7 to arrive and was wondering if anyone has removed the factory thermal pads and aluminum and stuck heatsinks directly to the cpu, pmic, and ram? Wondering if anyone could give me the size of the of the cpu, pmic, and ram chips. Thinking about installing the heatsink directly to the chips.

Comment

Originally posted by loko View Post
                  If you do not attach a heatsink properly, the thermal result can be worse than not having a heatsink at all. It is obvious that you do not have proper contact between the chips and the heatsink. By using a large continuous heatsink, you may have lifted the metal plate a little bit, so the stock thermal pads do not ensure proper contact between the chips and the metal plate. Remove the metal plate and replace the thermal pads with good quality ones. You may have to use thicker thermal pads, soft enough to be able to be compressed. If I were you, I would try using some compressible Phobya Ultra 1.5mm or even 2mm ones.
                  Mabey it can be abit better but if it was superpoor contact heatsink would not be 62c when measured with ir-gun.

But i shall change out the thermal pads just in case it and see if it helps anyway.

Comment

Mabey it can be abit better but if it was superpoor contact heatsink would not be 62c when measured with ir-gun.

But i shall change out the thermal pads just in case it and see if it helps anyway.
                    The temps you have are the same temps than only with the alu plate and without a hetsink (and with the factory pads).
                    So its obvious that you don´t have proper contact between the alu plate and the heatsinks.

Comment

Originally posted by djamm View Post
                      Waiting for mine Pipo X7 to arrive and was wondering if anyone has removed the factory thermal pads and aluminum and stuck heatsinks directly to the cpu, pmic, and ram? Wondering if anyone could give me the size of the of the cpu, pmic, and ram chips. Thinking about installing the heatsink directly to the chips.

Comment

Heat can build up mysteriously if there is no proper dissipation. Stress the CPU to 100% and use some appropriate software to check the CPU temperature. While stressing the CPU, use a hair dryer to blow cold air directly on the heatsink. If the CPU temperature does not drop immediately below 40°C, then you definitely do not have proper contact between the heatsink and the CPU.

Comment

The temps you have are the same temps than only with the alu plate and without a hetsink (and with the factory pads).
                          So its obvious that you don´t have proper contact between the alu plate and the heatsinks.
                          Normally i would say the same. But now i put on new 1mm thermal pads but same story 85c. So i did take the aluplate away and put a small heatsink on the cpu and new thermal pad just to see what happend. 89c and with ir-gun 72c on the heatsink.

So much heat.

Comment

Normally i would say the same. But now i put on new 1mm thermal pads but same story 85c. So i did take the aluplate away and put a small heatsink on the cpu and new thermal pad just to see what happend. 89c and with ir-gun 72c on the heatsink.

So much heat.

1. What about the PMIC Chip? Put a cooler tehre, too. It´s a cheap low level component.

2. Take a voltage stabilized power supply (maybe from an LED).

Look her:
                            C'est confirmé, les chargeurs livrés avec les Mini PC Pipo X7 sont responsables des pannes rencontrées sur la machine ces derniers jours.

3. Did you change any UEFI settings. Maybe you load optimized defaults.

Comment

Just a question, as I'm still waiting on my box from GearBest for 1,5 month now.
                              Is there a reason no one has tried to take a strip of aluminium or copper and connect the center to the heatspreader and the ends to the top of the case? That way the case can be used as a heatsink (as Pipo should have done in the first place).

Comment

1. What about the PMIC Chip? Put a cooler tehre, too. It´s a cheap low level component.

2. Take a voltage stabilized power supply (maybe from an LED).

Look her:
                                C'est confirmé, les chargeurs livrés avec les Mini PC Pipo X7 sont responsables des pannes rencontrées sur la machine ces derniers jours.

3. Did you change any UEFI settings. Maybe you load optimized defaults.
                                The only thing did change in bios is grafic boost to on. Anyway, i don't know why mine is so much hotter then average so i put an old fan on the heatsink and now it is good enough for me. Temp is now 60c, but i need to cut out a hole in the case to fit pcb back into it's place.

PS! I took this picture when fans spinning full speed, impressive camera!

Last edited by Trhuster; 02-22-2015, 10:30.

Comment

Working...
                                X