Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just find old heatsink and 'glu' it with Electrolube non-silicone heat transfer compound HTC10S (I use that because it was available at work)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tamonegdje; 03-03-2015, 07:03.

Comment

Used some old ibm server parts.
      used termal pads and adhesive conductive

Temps average around 55c now. Stresstest half hour with
      100%cpu maxes to 77c . But thats something will happen at the very worst case.

Comment

Originally posted by hey69 View Post

Temps average around 55c now. Stresstest half hour with
        100%cpu maxes to 77c . But thats something will happen at the very worst case.
        More or less i have the same temp.

Comment

Could these heatsinks would be a good and cheap option to make the mod???

http://www.****.es/itm/10-Pieza-Alum...item2ed290e271

My Pipo X7 is not going to be working 24 hours per day...... I only want to decrease the temperature in a cheap way.

Comment

Yeah sure

Comment

Originally posted by albmart View Post
              Could these heatsinks would be a good and cheap option to make the mod???

http://www.****.es/itm/10-Pieza-Alum...item2ed290e271

My Pipo X7 is not going to be working 24 hours per day...... I only want to decrease the temperature in a cheap way.
              You have to try. The heatsinks look very cheap, too. It depends on what you want to reach.
              It would be helpfull to fill zhe complete surface of the alu plate with the heatsinks (maybe you need two pachets of`em). Maybe it would be necessery to use additional air cooling with those low budget heatsinks. You must place the cooling fins parallel to have a good airflow, and even without a active cooling. arrange them parallel to the front side (like one big cooler). Don´t forget to put the cooling pads, like discribed earlier in this post.

First step: - install the cooling system passive, how you planned it.
              Second step: - do along term benchmark and watch the temperatures -> If they stay below 65 ° C
              everything is fine. Over 65 degrees throttling of the cores begins (See the thermal bios options). than you would have to think about placing a fan into your box.

There are different ways to accomplish a proposal.

To give you more ideas I give you a link to another box, I modded:

Comment

Thanks a lot for your answer Scooby-Doo!

I would use thermal pads too, but I can't find any cheap (The thermal pads that I have found and are cheap, are adhesive thermal pads, but someone here talked about that adhesive pads are not recommended for this purpose...).

Comment

Thanks a lot for your answer Scooby-Doo!

I would use thermal pads too, but I can't find any cheap (The thermal pads that I have found and are cheap, are adhesive thermal pads, but someone here talked about that adhesive pads are not recommended for this purpose...).
                  The heatsinks you should fix wirh thermal adhesive. The thermal pads are under the alu plate to get contact to the chips. But everything is described in earlier threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby-Doo View Post
                    The heatsinks you should fix wirh thermal adhesive. The thermal pads are under the alu plate to get contact to the chips. But everything is described in earlier threads.

Thanks again, perhaps sometimes I don't explain very well what I want to say And sometimes I confuse technical English words, like heatsink, thermal pads, ......

So, the modding would be....

1- We open the Pipo and we have the CPU, cooling pad, and a Alu plate
                    2- Put thermal adhesive on the alu plate
                    3- Put the heatsink on the thermal adhesive
                    4- In the other side of the mainboard, I can put thermal pads to get contact with the chips.

If I have understand everything, I think that I'm right with that.

I have 2 questions:
                    1- Is the same Thermal pad as Cooling pad?
                    2- And in step 2..... can I use thermal adhesive pads instead thermal adhesive?

Thanks a lot for your time and your patience
                    Last edited by albmart; 03-04-2015, 10:37.

Comment

Yes anf yes. i didnt uwd a thermal pad on the back. try it also without first.(if you cant find cheap ones)

Comment

One basic question about that, thermal pads need to be fixed with some adhesive?

Or simply put them on chips and after cover with alu plate?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Vestiaz View Post
                          One basic question about that, thermal pads need to be fixed with some adhesive?

Thanks in advance
                          Yes. E.g. with arctic cooling two compound thermal adhesive on both sides.

The pad for the backside of the mainboard doen´t need fixation.

Comment

Originally posted by smokie171 View Post
                            Thanks to Loko for the insight and help. Thanks to Scooby-Doo for your mod, as you can tell I modeled my mod after yours.
                            You are welcome.

2- And in step 2..... can I use thermal adhesive pads instead thermal adhesive?
                            Thermal pads are used to fill some existing gap between components. If you just need to fix something in place you should better use an adhesive thermal tape or for better thermal results an adhesive thermal paste.

Originally posted by Vestiaz View Post

Thanks in advance
                            If you fix the thermal pads permanently, you will not be able to reopen the device. There is no need to fix the thermal pads, since they get compressed by the metal plate and stay in place anyway. Just be sure that you select the right thermal pad thickness. Properly compressed thermal pads always stay in place, but the most significant aspect is that they have much better thermal behaviour than poorly compressed ones.

Comment

Yes. E.g. with arctic cooling two compound thermal adhesive on both sides.
                              I would prefer do not use adhesive, I am noob and scares me to ruin mainboad

Originally posted by loko View Post
                              If you fix the thermal pads permanently, you will not be able to reopen the device. There is no need to fix the thermal pads, since they get compressed by the metal plate and stay in place anyway. Just be sure that you select the right thermal pad thickness. Properly compressed thermal pads always stay in place, but the most significant aspect is that they have much better thermal behaviour than poorly compressed ones.
                              This convinced me a lot, I will not use adhesive.

I ordered this thermal pad 1 mm: http://www.****.es/itm/121159893475?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

My plan is doing like this mod: http://www.noelshack.com/2015-09-142...9-img-4492.jpg

And more noob questions

Fixing the heatsinks to alu plate already mounted or better unmounted?

How much and what thermal paste use? problems with holes of alu plate?

Thanks in advance

Comment

there is no reason to replace the thermal adhesive pads under the alum plate. My mod is averaging temperatures of 42 degrees with programs running and 38 degrees with no programs running. All I did was add 2 30x30x25 mm heat sinks and a 5 mm thermal pad. There is no reason to take off the aluminum plate covering the CPU as it can only lead to problems. You can read the post earlier from Loko. explaining this to me. My advice is to keep it simple. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X