This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there,

By cutting and stacking my 1.5mm thermal pads to get 4,5mm only under the CPU I achieve a 68°C max during stress test and 62°C average.
    My device feels better

Comment

Originally posted by virusX View Post
      Hi there,

By cutting and stacking my 1.5mm thermal pads to get 4,5mm only under the CPU I achieve a 68°C max during stress test and 62°C average.
      My device feels better
      Hi and thanks for the very interesting advice
      When you say "only under the CPU" you mean only under the motherboard i guess.
      have you done anything above the CPU as well ? any heatsinks applied ?
      I am very much interested mainly in the sonic potential of the Pipo that i feel quite high.
      I have only this problem with the CPu reaching around 80 C ...
      i have planned some listening tests even of its headphone out ... it could be a real giant killer of more expensive audio streamers
      Thanks again.
      Regards, geppo
      With the kindest regards, geppo

Comment

Hi and sorry i have a general question on the heatsinking mods, an extremely importan issue to me (i was honestly scared by reading 80C during light use of the unit)
        My understanding is that the most effective mod to cool down the cpu is to stick with a thermal glue some heatsinks above the metal plate placed on the chips. Am I right ?
        i think that the pcb has very low conductivity so any mod below the pcb should be much less effective.

I still have some questions about the type of heatsinks:
        1) how tall can they be ? 15 mm is a maximum ?
        2) which is the glue with the best conducibility ? only a small drop will work ? i mean ... the less the better ?

As i have said above from an audio point of view i feel 8.1 is a giant leap from windows 7.
        Just listen to the Pipo front headphone ou i am amazed by the quality of sound. Very very good.
        Sadly i am not that good with electronics but i think that the Pipo guts placed in a nice case with some other circuits could do wonders for audio files playback.
        Thanks again for the excellent thread.
        Have a nice day

Comment

Yes some nice heatsink or maybe 2. I used conductive glue and put heatsinks directly on the cpu memory .i removed the plate

Comment

Originally posted by hey69 View Post
            Yes some nice heatsink or maybe 2. I used conductive glue and put heatsinks directly on the cpu memory .i removed the plate
            Hi and thanks a lot for the valuable advice. Here there is a picture of the board with the plate removed

i guess the cpu is the chip in the center ? then the memories below the cpu and another cpu above the cpu
            I wonder if the cpu is the only part that really must be cooled down.
            I cannot check the temperatures of the other chips. Maybe they stay colder ?
            I do not know if to remove the plate or leave it.
            If i stick the heatsinks to a chip this is irreversible.
            Thanks again.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

The one in the midle is the cpu. those 4 next to eachaother are the memory chips. Yes the most important is the cpu to cool

Comment

Originally posted by hey69 View Post
                The one in the midle is the cpu. those 4 next to eachaother are the memory chips. Yes the most important is the cpu to cool
                Hi and thanks again indeed.
                I am tempted to put the heatsinks only on it then,
                Sometimes i have the feeling that they exaggerate things.
                What is the reason to make cpus so small when this little size then makes almost impossible to cool them down ? this is ridiculous indeed. Let's be clear. Most of the possible users are video games fans or people that look for an HD video streaming device. Units for entertainment. This kind of uses require all processing power, and therefore implies heat generation. These cpus should be designed with the cooling in mind.

I understand now that when pushed these little cpus generate a lot of heat indeed. 80 C are just shocking.
                One month of serious use and this thing melts down.

However .. i scrapped the little thermal pad piece above the cpu, that crumbled. Clear sign of cooked piece.
                Now i see a squared metallic surface on top of the cpu around 11x11 mm. I guess this is the thermal contact (sorry for the language).
                Very very small. I am crossing fingers ...
                Sorry for the outburst but when i see something that could be splendid with just a little more care ...
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0407.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	493180

Last edited by geppetto61; 04-11-2015, 13:15.

Comment

So, reading through much of this thread there appears to be different approaches to thermal cooling. I see that there are combinations of various uses of heatsinks, thermal adhesive, aluminium plate removal/non-removal, thermal pads and so on. So what is the general consensus of the BEST way to reduce the thermal profile of this box?
                  Last edited by degsie; 04-11-2015, 19:52.

Comment

Originally posted by degsie View Post
                    ... So what is the general consensus of the BEST way to reduce the thermal profile of this box?
                    http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...284#post399284 (max 13mm high heatsink)
                    But you can use smaller peaches under the pcb, backside where the CPU is (the 5mm thick pad) like e.g.

(http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...135#post412135)

You can also replace the thermal-pads between the chips and the metal-plate using e.g.

at

(http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...502#post404502)
                    but seems to be more like a "nice to have"...

RK3288 Devices
                    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by geppetto61 View Post
                      :
                      What is the reason to make cpus so small when this little size then makes almost impossible to cool them down ?

:
                      Because originally they are designed for smartphones... later also used for tablets and later for netbooks....
                      RK3288 Devices
                      - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                      - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                      UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                      Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                      Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                      Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post

Because originally they are designed for smartphones... later also used for tablets and later for netbooks....

Hi thanks a lot for the very interesting information.

Maybe i am dramatizing the all issue but i guess that working at 80C means quite a short life for this unit.
                        I am not an expert but the figures on cpu power consumption should be available and then it should be possible to designed an adequate passive heatsink.
                        I have been extremely impressed by the sound of this unit but i still do not know if this must be related to the HW or to Windows 8.1.
                        I have been listening to the front headphone out and it is very good indeed. A revelation. Very very nice sound that with digital is an achievement.
                        I am worried by some little thermal contact on the cpu. I would like to try to heatsink only the cpu, considering that is the hottest part.
                        I see that you recommend a " max 13mm high heatsink ". Unfortunately i cannot find copper heatsinks that high.
                        I have just bought now some squared little copper heatsinks recommended for Raspberry Pi cpu.
                        i am almost sure that the Pipo cpu generates much more heat ... i see mainly cooling solutions using fans for Atom cpu.
                        However i will try one of this directly on the cpu and see.
                        I hope not to destroy the unit.
                        Thanks a lot again for the very valuable advice. Kindest regards.
                        Last edited by geppetto61; 04-12-2015, 11:54.

Comment

Hi.
                          I use hw monitor to check temperature. Cant watch utube in 720p, its throttling after only seconds.
                          Reach 90c +. Utube is playable in 480p or 360p
                          Clock speed max says almost 3ghz 2.7-2.9 ghz.
                          Is this even possible?
                          Thanks
                          Knievel

Edit: This strange behavior only with Chrome using Utube. With IE cpu clock is normal and temp max 70c. Utube playing nicely.
                          Used Aida 64 stress test and no throttling.
                          Puhh for a moment i was really angry on Pipo.
                          Last edited by knievel; 04-12-2015, 22:11.

Comment

Hi just to say that i have very bad performance watching Youtube with Chrome also myself.
                            But with my more powerful win 7 pc is much better. Not perfect flowing but much better with a faster pages refresh and loading.
                            So it is not only a SW issue but also HW (i would say of course).
                            I think that Google is trying to do something like Apple. Creating a close system and does not speak with other software.
                            The "closed community" strategy.
                            Exactly the opposite of what the average user would like to get.
                            Regards.

Comment

OK, here is full information, that you need to know about YouTube and Pipo X7.

Video for test was GoPro HERO4: The Adventure of Life in 4K for 4K and 1080p testing. And Titanfall Gameplay for 1080p60. I have used latest Internet Explorer 11 and Chrome (41.0.2272.18). All setting were set to defaults and there were no any extensions. YouTube uses HTML5 for video playback with IE and Chrome.

Internet Explorer

1080p plays smooth and excellent. CPU usage is about 10%. Click image for larger version

Name:	IE_1080p.png
Views:	80
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	493473

4K plays smooth and excellent. CPU usage is about 10-40%. Click image for larger version

Name:	IE_4K.png
Views:	83
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	493474

1080p60 plays smooth and excellent. CPU usage is about 10-25%.

IE uses AVC codec at YouTube and fully use hardware acceleration DXVA. You may watch YouTube any time you need and there will be no throttling (if you did not mod you cooling system) at any video quality.

Chrome

1080p plays good. There are some dropped frames. CPU usage is about 60-95%. Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome_1080p.png
Views:	88
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	493475

4K plays very bad. Unusable. CPU usage is 100%. Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome_4K.png
Views:	84
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	493476

1080p60 plays very bad. Unusable. CPU usage is 100%.

Chrome uses VP9 codec at YouTube and it is software decoding only. You may watch YouTube any time you need up to 1080p, but you need to mod your cooling system, because you will get throttling after 5-20 min without it.

Comment

Originally posted by geppetto61
                                Hi and sorry i have a general question on the heatsinking mods, an extremely importan issue to me (i was honestly scared by reading 80C during light use of the unit)
                                My understanding is that the most effective mod to cool down the cpu is to stick with a thermal glue some heatsinks above the metal plate placed on the chips. Am I right ?
                                i think that the pcb has very low conductivity so any mod below the pcb should be much less effective.

I still have some questions about the type of heatsinks:
                                1) how tall can they be ? 15 mm is a maximum ?
                                2) which is the glue with the best conducibility ? only a small drop will work ? i mean ... the less the better ?

As i have said above from an audio point of view i feel 8.1 is a giant leap from windows 7.
                                Just listen to the Pipo front headphone ou i am amazed by the quality of sound. Very very good.
                                Sadly i am not that good with electronics but i think that the Pipo guts placed in a nice case with some other circuits could do wonders for audio files playback.
                                Thanks again for the excellent thread.
                                Have a nice day
                                Add a 5mm thermal pad on the bottom and heatsinks on top(12mm-15mm). I tested both and the results showed that the 15mm lowered the temps 5'C less than the 12mm. It should cost about $15 US. My Temps tested using prime 95 between 58-60C at 100% after 20 min. This solution has worked for many Pipo owners and should work for you too. This mod was created by Scooby-Doo and it works. CHECK with anyone who has tried it. This is an inexpensive fix. I know from the testing that I have done, that heatsinks alone were not enough, but when combined with the thermal pad it is a viable solution. My Temps at idle are about 36-38'C. This is a simple mod. I used thermal grease(artic silver 5) instead of glue bc it transfers heat better. I used the height of the heatsinks to hit the top of the unit and when screwed back in place, the heatsinks can not move as they are in contact with pcb and top of case. Good luck

Last edited by smokie171; 04-13-2015, 15:29.

Comment

Working...
                                X