This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone,

I bought a thermal pad and I have maybe done a mistake. I ordered a 0.5mm thickness instead of 1mm.

Do you think I have to buy something else or it will fit ?

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0051C2L1S/r...081_TE_3p_dp_1

Thanks.

Comment

Fold it a few times

Comment

Originally posted by albmart View Post
        Could anyone help me choosing the heatsinks please?

What of these 4 options would be the better???
        I know it's late, but can help other users. IMO #1 or #3 because they have biggest surface area thanks to have "spikes", not only plates. Thanks to that, heat can be transfered from heatsing to air faster and effectivity of heatsing is higher.

Thanks for all shared solutions! I've ordered pads (4x 30x30x5mm [Ph. Ult.] to bottom, 120x20x0.5mm [Ph. XT] between cpu/ram/power and alu plate), they should be here on Thursday, so I hope I'll be able to finish the mod till end of week.

Btw I was thinking about holes in the top of the case and I think best function/looking solution would be to draw Pipo logo there and drill 3-4mm holes on the edge of the letters. This will help to release the hot air from the case and won't look bad, I suppose. Anyway, now I don't think it's necessary to do it, as lot of you has great results without holes in the top of the case.

Comment

Would this 28x28x13mm heatsink be suitable?
          I have ordered two to place them on the alu plate.

http://www.****.com/itm/190710367111

Comment

They are fine. Good find actually because the 15mm ones are a bit high for the box.

Comment

Originally posted by drdtyc View Post
              Would this 28x28x13mm heatsink be suitable?
              I have ordered two to place them on the alu plate.
              http://www.****.com/itm/190710367111
              Hi and thank you very much indeed for the advice.
              Bought them.
              how are you going to place them ?
              I guess one on the cpu should suffice ?
              I have already bought a 0.5 mm thick biadhesive thermal pad to place directly in contact with the cpu.
              I am also thinking to leave the bottom of the Pipo open for a better ventilation
              The space on the board is a big constraint indeed ... everything is so small that is unbelievable.
              I will study better the cpus that can be easily passively cooled.

Please report your results possibly with pictures.

Thanks again, geppo
              With the kindest regards, geppo

Comment

Originally posted by geppetto61 View Post

Hi and thank you very much indeed for the advice.
                Bought them.
                how are you going to place them ?
                I guess one on the cpu should suffice ?
                I have already bought a 0.5 mm thick biadhesive thermal pad to place directly in contact with the cpu.
                I am also thinking to leave the bottom of the Pipo open for a better ventilation
                The space on the board is a big constraint indeed ... everything is so small that is unbelievable.
                I will study better the cpus that can be easily passively cooled.

Please report your results possibly with pictures.

Thanks again, geppo
                Still waiting for the heatsinks to arrive. I plan to use Arctic Aluminum to attach the heatsinks to the alu plate. Between the plate and the cpu I will use 1mm thermal pad. Underneath the circuit board I will use 5mm thermal pad. Not one big pad. But 3 20x20mm pads.

All parts are still being shipped to me.

Comment

What is the best way to exercise the x7 in order to raise the temp to max in the shortest possible time? Is there s/w that can do this?

Comment

Originally posted by degsie View Post
                    What is the best way to exercise the x7 in order to raise the temp to max in the shortest possible time? Is there s/w that can do this?
                    Bring it to the gym....

Run some streams, maybe a bunch of tabs on youtube through chrome. some 1080p movies perhaps.

Comment

I used prime95. It will take the cpu up to 100% for as long as you want.

Comment

Hi 1st try ... small copper heatsinks adhesive placed directly on the cpu ... no cooling at all.
                        i hope to be able to remove them without damages ...
                        bye geppo
                        With the kindest regards, geppo

Comment

LinX (use all free memory, about 1,3GB, unloading all working apps; one of the best CPU burner based on Intel Linpack) + MSI Kombustor (GPU burning tool, use Burn-in DX11) at same time. And AIDA64 just for watching for throttling (do not run stress test). Without any mod LinX+Kombustor will shoot down Pipo X7 (85+°C, throttling) in 90 sec. With good mod you will get more than 15 min before throttling.

Comment

I use cpuload.

Comment

Originally posted by drdtyc View Post
                              Still waiting for the heatsinks to arrive. I plan to use Arctic Aluminum to attach the heatsinks to the alu plate. Between the plate and the cpu I will use 1mm thermal pad. Underneath the circuit board I will use 5mm thermal pad. Not one big pad. But 3 20x20mm pads.

All parts are still being shipped to me.
                              Here are the parts I ordered:
                              5mm thermal pad (5W/mK) - www.****.com/itm/121310769355
                              1mm thermal pad (7W/mK) - www.****.com/itm/121159893475
                              thermal adhesive - www.****.com/itm/330398675320
                              28x28x13mm heatsinks - www.****.com/itm/190710367111

Comment

In the end, I decided to order the 100x100x2.5mm 5W/mK blue EC-360 pad from Germany. It proved impossible to find reasonably-priced thermal pads located in the UK. The Phobya Ultra pads used by many seem to be twice as expensive over here as elsewhere in Europe! I'm planning to cut two 50x70mm strips from the blue pad, place them on top of each other and use underneath the PCB to conduct the heat away.

I've also ordered some cheap thermal adhesive (which claims to have higher conductivity than the Arctic Alumina stuff so many are using) and some cheap 28x28x11mm heatsinks. It proved difficult to find heatsinks with height of either 12mm or 13mm here in the UK - the only ones I found were greatly overpriced or only available in bundles of 10 or more and I'll only need a couple! I'm hoping that the remainder of the large 2.5mm thermal pad I ordered will be just about thick enough to provide a contact between the top of the case and the heatsinks though I fear there will be a bit too much of a gap. In which case I just won't use anything to try and connect the top casing with the heatsinks.

Initially, I'm not going to bother buying a 1mm thermal pad to replace the pads under the heatspreader used by Pipo. I'll see how well my setup cools the X7 before deciding whether I need to replace these. Total expense of my mods will be around GBP 12.00/EUR 17.00.

Comment

Working...
                                X