This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loko View Post

These heatsinks are made from copper, but they are only 5mm tall. They are obviously worse than all other options recommended.

Copper is a significantly better heat conductor than aluminium, so this is probably incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by portezbie View Post
      I'm curious, has anyone tested the temps without modding? What kind of temps does this get without modding?
      Without mods, I average between 53c and 72c. I have not experienced any obvious throttling of the CPU.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by TerryH View Post
        Copper is a significantly better heat conductor than aluminium, so this is probably incorrect.
        I think he means because the 15mm heatsink allows it to touch the case so the heat can transfer to the metal body of the case. But you are probably right that 15mm copper heatsinks might be even better.

Comment

Originally posted by robmich View Post
          Without mods, I average between 53c and 72c. I have not experienced any obvious throttling of the CPU.

Rob
          Thanks.

So how do these three items look?

http://www.****.com/itm/1pcs-100mm-0...item3a9ca056bb

http://www.****.com/itm/5pcs-30x30x1...item2ec0bc8312

Also, do you use the thermal adhesive to mount the pad as well, or is that just for the heatsinks?

Thanks for your help guys I have never done anything liket his before, but it seems like a wise thing to do and not too tricky.

If someone wanted to write up a more step by step instruction, that would be great as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryH View Post
            5mm vs 15mm total height makes a huge difference. Judging from the photos, the 5mm copper heatsink has a 2mm solid base and 3mm fins, while the aluminium heatsink has a 3mm solid base and 12mm fins. The difference in the total surface is huge. Copper is indeed a better (but slower) heat conductor, but I guess not 3-4 times better than aluminium.

I think he means because the 15mm heatsink allows it to touch the case so the heat can transfer to the metal body of the case. But you are probably right that 15mm copper heatsinks might be even better.
            No, I did not generally compare copper vs aluminium heatsinks. I compared a 5mm copper heatsink with a 15mm aluminium heatsink, saying that the 5mm copper heatsink is too short to be good, which was questioned above as being probably incorrect.

Comment

My apologies if I misspoke for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby-Doo View Post
                Here are some pics. Sorry for poor quality. But you can imagine how to set it up.
                Bye.

That metal plate with the holes in it that you have the heat sinks on is that stock that came with the box or is that something you added?

Comment

I'm curious, has anyone tested the temps without modding? What kind of temps does this get without modding?

Edit: Nvm, I found it.
                  e.g. at KODI with deinterlacing you get during secs more than 80°C and the CPU begins to throttle down ...
                  RK3288 Devices
                  - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                  - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                  UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                  Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                  Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                  Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

If I'm not wrong someone contacted this seller and got the answer that these pads only have 1 - 1.5 W/mK and that's not really good...
                    RK3288 Devices
                    - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by kotobide View Post
                      That metal plate with the holes in it that you have the heat sinks on is that stock that came with the box or is that something you added?
                      That's what comes with the Pipo. It's mounted onto the PCB (though can be quite easily removed). There is a sticky heat pad stuck on top of the metal plate. Most of us are looking at attaching stuff to this thin metal plate rather than removing it and going for something directly on the chips I think.

Comment

My heatsink modding

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
                          If I'm not wrong someone contacted this seller and got the answer that these pads only have 1 - 1.5 W/mK and that's not really good...
                          http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...e-higher-worse
                          Ok, thank you. So are the thermal adhesive and heatsinks ok?

http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Alumina...ermal+adhesive

http://www.****.com/itm/5pcs-30x30x1...item2ec0bc8312

And can you or anyone recommend a better thermal pad?

Comment

Here they talk about > 9,0 W/mK

But if I'm you, I would try to find a pad with >= 5 W/mK, adhesive on both sides and e.g. 0.5mm, so you can replace the heat sinks...
                            Also try to find one with good W/mK and adhesive at only one side (I don't know which mm you need) to replace the one under the metal plate over the CPU...
                            RK3288 Devices
                            - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Sorry not following you.

Comment

What about these? I would recommend probably the thinnest one.

100mm x 100mm x 0.15mm ; 0.30mm ; 0.50mm ; 1.00mm ; 2.00mm ; 3.00mm ; 4.00mm ; 5.00mm

http://stores.****.co.uk/andyscomput...ape+Conductive

Or these? The blue ones have better thermal conductivity than the black ones.

http://stores.****.co.uk/thegameboot...+ADHESIVE+TAPE

Comment

Working...
                                X