Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had over heating and throttling on my Pipo X8 so I stood it on end like a monitor. Now the back(base) acts like a convection cooled radiator and I no longer have heat issues. The base panel is very much cooler with convective air flowing over it. I don't have any batteries in my laser thermometer so I can't give any numbers. Try it... it might work just as well for you.

Comment

Just got my blue pad from ****. Don't know how well it works but one side has a plastic sheet hat covers one side. Did you guys remove that sheet and place that side to directly touch the underside of the board?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by yazyazoo View Post
        Just got my blue pad from ****. Don't know how well it works but one side has a plastic sheet hat covers one side. Did you guys remove that sheet and place that side to directly touch the underside of the board?

Thanks.
        Yes, remove it

Comment

I just use a laptop cooling pad.. while removing all the bottom base cover.. the cpu temp reading max at 70c.. average around 60c.. i'm using speedfan to measure the temp..

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Hi guys,

I have this wonderful device almost two months and only the high temperature was a problem. It was reaching to 85 degrees.
            After one month of reading, I’ve ordered the parts:
            1.100X100X5mm thermal pad
            2.15X15X15 heatsink
            3. Adhesive thermal glue
            4.120X20X1mm
            After getting these parts i started to remove the thermal pad from alu plate and put 1mm pad between alu ,cpu , ram and pmic. Then I placed over there this alu plate and 9 small heatsinks on the alu plate.
            The big pad is on the bottom plate like Scoobo Do described here at the forum.Everything was done according the guides are written here.
            My temperature is still high. It’s about 73 degrees at max, but average is about 67-68. Anyway I got the throttling issu even at 67-68 degrees
            Can someone please help me what to do? What’s the wrong? Or bios settings may the cause?
            I tried to remove alu plate and also put the heatsinks only on thermal pad and still the same problem
            Last edited by jokuler254; 07-19-2015, 22:24.

Comment

open task manager and see if any processes is maxing out the cpu

Comment

great work guys.... BTW - forget the rest: I think it's the 100mmx100mmx5mm thermal pad what makes the difference...

I was hitting 90C on mine... I installed an old Matrox G450 heatink, plus some of those little RAM sinks, BUT I had to wait a few weeks for the 5mm thermal pad to arrive, so I tested again:

BEFORE the 5mm thermal pad:
                55C by the time I had booted and launch CPUID's HWmonitor and CPU-Z
                60C "idle" (2mins after boot)
                80C during a "mini" (custom) Intel Burntest (512Mb RAM, 2 loops)
                then took several minutes to get back to an idle of 65C

AFTER the 5mm thermal pad (the only thing I did other than the 5mm pad was to use a bit of the 5mm pad off-cuts to wedge the other heatsinks in place more tightly....)
                34C by the time I had booted and launch CPUID's HWmonitor and CPU-Z
                40C "idle" (2mins after boot)
                56C peak during the mini burn-test (as above)
                back to ~45C within a minute as a long term idle

all done with my PipoX7 (non-s), win10x32 preview, ambient 26C-26.5C, the box had no through-flow of air around it, horizontal, slightly elevated off the desk (two pens)

I tried flipping in on the "right" edge (power at the top) - idle jumped 5C to ~50C, even with a fan on... put it level again, and the idle temp edges back down to 45C (43C with a small desk fan).

Comment

Just wish to share. My Pipo X7 came with a small white 40x30x5mm thermal pad placed under the CPU. Idle temp is 50c. When stress test, it goes up to 70c+ after 20min. Actually I don't need any mod because I do not play heavy game, fullhd youtube also works fine; but just wish to try the mod. My mods are: 1. Replace the black sticker plate on top of the Aluminium plate,with two 28x28x13mm heatsinks I bought from ****, with Arctic MX2 thermal grease 2. The heatsinks do not touch the upper case, so I remove the small stock thermal pad from the bottom plate and stick it under the top case, the thermal pad touches part of the two heatsinks firmly without problem 3. Under the circuit board, I put a 100x100x5mm blue thermal pad (conductivity is just 1.2-2w) I bought from Aliexpress.com. It touches the under cover firmly. The idle temp is now around 37-39c (room temp 32c). Stress test is less than 60c after 30min. Installing just the two heatsinks in step one did not improve very much, perhaps because the heatsinks did not touch the upper case. Additional mod with step 2 and 3 really lower the temp to a satisfactory level. Please also note that my new themal pad conductivity is just 1.2-2w, and the thermal grease Arctic MX-2 conductivity is just 5.6w. We really don't need the higher conductivity/price components here. Total mod cost is $15 (heatpad $7, thermal grease AC mx-2 $6, two heatsink $2). I'm very happy with the mod and thanks a lot for all the ideas.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 11 photos.
                  Last edited by bthoven; 09-06-2015, 05:59.

Comment

I was also hitting 90C on mine in Prime95 at 100% workload, so I decided to install 15x15x15mm aluminum heatsinks (with adhesive thermal pads, not grease) on RAM, CPU, SSD and power management , BUT the end result was 88C in Prime95 at 100% workload (only 2C difference with heatsinks)

BEFORE the 100x100x5mm eXtreme-Cool 360 thermal pad from Amazon.de:
                    55C by the time I had booted and launched Prime95 and RealTemp
                    58C "idle" (2mins after boot)
                    61C while watching Netflix
                    88C during Prime95 100% workload
                    then took several minutes to get back to an idle of 64-65C

AFTER the 100x100x5mm eXtreme-Cool 360 thermal pad from Amazon.de:
                    45C by the time I had booted and launched Prime95 and RealTemp
                    48C "idle" (2mins after boot)
                    haven't tested Netflix yet since I'm having some issues with my ISP
                    70C peak during Prime95 100% workload
                    back to ~56C within a minute as a long term idle

all done with my PipoX7 (non-s), win 8.1 at 1900x1800 resoulution, at ambient temp of 29C, the box had no through-flow of air around it, horizontal, slightly elevated off the desk (two pens)

the 100mmx100mmx5mm thermal pad is what makes the difference.

Comment

Being green as grass to all this,please bear with me. I bought an x7s several week ago.
                      Installed he monitor today & it shows the top 6 temperatures as being as low as 39,up to 49.
                      Used kodi for around 3hr,exited & checked the temperatures again. Pretty much no change.
                      Is the x7s problem free regarding temperatures or am I not using the monitor correctly (all I do is click on it).
                      Checked the x7 category for help for novice posts, but no luck.
                      Appreciate any advice or link to somewhere I may be more in my depth due to lack of knowledge,if possible.
                      Thanx a lot.......

Comment

Strummer, what monitor software you are using?

Comment

Temperature is 2c lower with vertical position. I used a coffee mug cardboard box and modified it to grab my x7 in vertical position.
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Bthoven,I upgraded the box to windows 10.
                            CPUID hw monitor I am using.
                            Just turned box on & lowest is 31 & highest 41.....

Comment

Originally posted by strummer View Post
                              Bthoven,I upgraded the box to windows 10.
                              CPUID hw monitor I am using.
                              Just turned box on & lowest is 31 & highest 41.....
                              That's great. You do not need any mod!

Comment

Anyone know where to get some 5mm thick thermal pads in Aus? Or at least somewhere that ships to Aus? Everything tends to be >1.5mm

Comment

Working...
                                X