Problems with my wired network connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loko View Post
    ...This can be due to insufficient supplied power, probably by a bad hardware design, or some other weird situation...
    I don't think that it is because of an insufficient supplied power...

I also thought about a bad hardware design, maybe some parts/pins of the HDMI port and the usb2eth are the same at the pcb (e.g. GND) BUT because of fixing it with a passive HDMI switch/hub I'm not sure about this idea... BUT who knows?
    RK3288 Devices
    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by loko View Post
      I have already disabled Connected Standby by changing the CsEnabled value from 1 to 0 and restart, selected the High performance power plan, and disabled all power saving related features in the Device Manager. These changes did not solve the problem.

The USB Ethernet Adapter seems to be the only device affected. A USB Flash Drive works fine at the same time. For what it is worth, I do not have any cable plugged to the Ethernet port.

If you look at the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media icon, you will notice that the USB Ethernet Adapter is considered as a removable device.

This situation does not have to do with Ethernet power saving settings. The USB Ethernet Adapter itself is disconnected and reconnected, like someone is unplugging and replugging the device continuously. This can be due to insufficient supplied power, probably by a bad hardware design, or some other weird situation.

Since I have already plugged and unplugged the HDMI cable about 50 times, and I do not want to wear out the HDMI port, I will stop further testing until I get an HDMI adapter.

To be able to conduct further tests, I also installed the open source RDP Wrapper Library v1.5. Now Remote Desktop Connection between PiPo X7 and a Windows XP installation runs just fine, so I can opt between TeamViewer and Remote Desktop Connection. I have also installed UltraVNC, but once more I found it somewhat laggy for my taste.
      Kalimera loko

I believe the issue is caused by bad design in the hardware. The issue exists with the Intel drivers. Something changes in the way the display is driven and this causes the ethernet to stop working. With the default Win8.1 display driver, before you install the latest intel ones, the issue doesn't happen but the machine is useless with these drivers. The issue seems to be 'fixed' with an unpowered HDMI hub (but I do not consider this as a fix). What does the hub in terms of electronics do is something beyond my knowledge.
      Last edited by vertical; 03-26-2015, 11:17.

Comment

Just to let you know that I still had some issue this morning.
        I don't know how this happened but a misconnection of the ethernet on boot switched the network to Wifi.
        I had the ethernet card on/off issue (plus VPN/DNS issue).
        I had to manually disable the Wifi, re-enter the ethernet settings, validate and then it was OK (and still is now).
        I will try another PSU than my 9V/1.5A (that is better than the PIPO one), I'll go for 9-12V/3A and will update you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by lifeisfun View Post
          You can try to run Dontsleep, that should keep it wake
          http://downloads.tomsguide.com/Dont-...301-28162.html
          Installed this weeks ago it never disconnected since (on two boxes)

Comment

Possible Solution: Connect to false VGA monitor.

From what I have gathered, the X7 enters a low power standby state whenever a display device is not connected (HDMI disconnected, TV is off, etc.). This standby mode disables the LAN (causing the internal USB ethernet connect/disconnect) and the GPU processing (Firefox and Chrome windows being all white when viewing with TeamViewer remote desktop).

I believe I may have found a solution. I would like to see if this is the only fix required or if it was one of my many previous modifications combined with this step.

With the main display powered on, right click on the desktop and click on screen resolution.
            Click on detect.
            Click on another display not connected.
            Under the Multiple Displays tab, choose try to connect anyway on VGA.
            Click Apply.

Afterwards, your display should default to your main display when on, then to the nonexistent VGA display when your main display is off.

This fools windows into thinking a display is connected when it is not and prevents standby mode.

I have made a few other modifications previously which may have contributed to the fix but I am not sure that they're necessary.
            First is editing the Connected Standby registry settings. (Open regedit.exe, go to edit then find then search for csenabled. Set value from 1 to 0. Go under Control Panel to Power Management and Device Manager to Device Properties to put everything into Full Power/Do not turn off Mode).
            Second is manually updating to the latest Intel drivers by extracting the .exe file with 7zip and installing it through device manager. Drivers link here (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...7-8-8-1-32-bit)

I am very curious to see if this fixes the issue for other users and if the other modifications are necessary. Let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by jschmidt1492 View Post
              With the main display powered on, right click on the desktop and click on screen resolution.
              Click on detect.
              Click Apply.
              Man, you rock! Thank you!

That works for me.

Comment

Click on detect.
                Click Apply.

Afterwards, your display should default to your main display when on, then to the nonexistent VGA display when your main display is off.

This fools windows into thinking a display is connected when it is not and prevents standby mode.
                Big thanks from me too. I only got my Pipo today and it was showing this issue. My intention is to run this headless so really needed the LAN to work without HDMI connected.
                Doing this change alone solved it. What a star!

Comment

I had exactly the same idea two days ago, so I had already "found" the solution before you did so, but I did not bother checking it out because I thought that I would have to extend my desktop to the newly added monitor, thus having mouse navigation problems while using the primary monitor. As it seems, still living in the Windows XP world has its drawbacks.

I would have probably checked it out this weekend and posted the solution, but I am glad that you did so today, because I could just be lazy enough and not even bother trying it.

Since I hate Windows Vista/7 configuration layout, you can guess that I really hate the "improved" Windows 8/8.1 configuration layout.

Any way, you can also enable GodMode. Create a new folder wherever you like, and rename it to GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}. This will give you a lot of configuration options in one place. You can actually type whatever else you like instead of GodMode, the only thing needed is keeping the extension as ".{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" (without quotes).

Comment

I use windows remote desktop to access my Pipo leaving it on 24/7 so having it switch off ethernet, wifi and HDMI on it's own was not good.
                    I tried the following:

Set ethernet to 100baseTX - did not work
                    Make new power plan with never switch hard disk and monitor off - did not work
                    Turn off bluetooth (to save a few milliwatts)- did not work
                    Add a secondary VGA monitor as described above- only worked short term and when pulling out the HDMI cable. If the unit was on for prolonged periods it would still switch off HDMI, ethernet and wifi.

Then I changed the power adapter to this 3A one made in the UK (same company who make the official raspberry pi 2 power supply).

Now I've not had a wifi disconnection in the last 24 hours and the ethernet and HDMI have stay powered overnight whereas previously they would disconnect.
                    Useful to note that the pin inside the power socket is 2.4mm, so a 2.1 -> 2.4mm adapter is needed.

The below was interesting reading. The stream uses the same wifi/bluetooth chip as the pipo and there have been disconnection issues with that unit too..
                    Anyone else observing, slow wifi and rampant wifi "limited connectivity" with your stream 7? I thought it was my home network which is (by no choice of my own) an apple extreme based network. However when I dropped in at a client's location (who uses Cisco gear not linksys) and was having the same i...

I'll update the thread if I have any further disconnections.

Comment

I thought I'd update the thread for those who are interested. Since replacing the power supply with the one in my post above I've not had one ethernet or wifi disconnection in 6 days continuous use. Previously the ethernet, wifi and HDMI would come and go of their own accord, the ethernet icon in network settings flashing enabled then disabled at random.

I'm pretty sure the power supply that comes with the X7 doesn't supplying enough juice and isn't fit for purpose. Most likely it doesn't supply a stable 2.4A as is printed on the base.

Comment

Did you get this result with the 3A PSU?

Comment

Originally posted by vertical View Post
                          Did you get this result with the 3A PSU?
                          yes, this one

Comment

Possible Solution: Connect to false VGA monitor.

From what I have gathered, the X7 enters a low power standby state whenever a display device is not connected (HDMI disconnected, TV is off, etc.). This standby mode disables the LAN (causing the internal USB ethernet connect/disconnect) and the GPU processing (Firefox and Chrome windows being all white when viewing with TeamViewer remote desktop).

I believe I may have found a solution. I would like to see if this is the only fix required or if it was one of my many previous modifications combined with this step.

Click on detect.
                            Click Apply.

I have made a few other modifications previously which may have contributed to the fix but I am not sure that they're necessary.
                            First is editing the Connected Standby registry settings. (Open regedit.exe, go to edit then find then search for csenabled. Set value from 1 to 0. Go under Control Panel to Power Management and Device Manager to Device Properties to put everything into Full Power/Do not turn off Mode).
                            Second is manually updating to the latest Intel drivers by extracting the .exe file with 7zip and installing it through device manager. Drivers link here (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...7-8-8-1-32-bit)

I am very curious to see if this fixes the issue for other users and if the other modifications are necessary. Let me know!
                            After upgrading the Pipo X7 to Win10, when I click detect I do not get "another display not connected" so the issue with disappearing network when I switch off my amp came back. Are there any people that had the issue and upgraded to Win10? Any new recommendations how to fool windows thinking that there's another display connected?

Comment

I had the same issue, you will have to do this in the classic Windows Control Panel: All Control Panel Items > Display > "Adjust Resolution" menu item
                              It's not possible with Intel parameters or Win10 parameters.

Comment

Ah, good old display preferences. Thanks virusX. Worked like a dream. Everything back to normal. Hope MS will not ditch classic Control Panel or at least pass all preferences to the new layout.

Comment

Working...
                                X