This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video on Demand - Silverlight performance

In various Tests the cpu of our box is to slow for bad programmed silverlight.

I use the box for 720p silverlight streaming (Amazon Prime Instant video) after optimizing the hardware (see Thread - heatsink modding) and windows 8.1, I only have few lags on fast scenes. The picture is like normal HDTV bradcast picture. This isn´t the optimum, but it´s o.k..

Because microsoft wants to sell their compute stick with atom z3735f processor, it is very possible, that they will optimize the silverlight player for this little brother of our cpu, too. Or no one will buy that stick for silverlight straming. This would affect our X7, because the cpu is nearly the same - just a little bit faster.

This is spekulation, but it seems to be possible.

I will hopefully wait and see.

Have you tried watching Amazon Streaming with Adobe Flash instead of Silverlight? Is it any better or worse?

Just an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by portezbie View Post
      Have you tried watching Amazon Streaming with Adobe Flash instead of Silverlight? Is it any better or worse?

Just an idea.
      It´s worse. First thing - they deactivatet HD-streaming with flash. Second thing before with HD it was even laggier than with siverlight. The DRM- and the HDCP-protocols make the thing so laggy. Graphics rendering you have to deactivate, because the grafics in this chip is to powerless.

Comment

Oh well, thanks for checking!

Comment

I have the same problem. Streaming services that uses silverlight is very choppy. In Kodi i can watch full blueray ~30Mbits without problem but stream a video with silverlight is choppy at ~5Mbits Bummer...

Comment

Originally posted by Trhuster View Post
            I have the same problem. Streaming services that uses silverlight is very choppy. In Kodi i can watch full blueray ~30Mbits without problem but stream a video with silverlight is choppy at ~5Mbits Bummer...
            I still don't have one to test this on but what browser are you using to try this? I know that chrome had big problems with the silverlight addon years ago and don't know if they ever fixed it. As much as I hate IE it would be the best browser to test it in.
            To Infinity and Beyond.... XBMC

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpster View Post
              I still don't have one to test this on but what browser are you using to try this? I know that chrome had big problems with the silverlight addon years ago and don't know if they ever fixed it. As much as I hate IE it would be the best browser to test it in.
              I tested IE and Chrome, same issue.

Comment

I tested IE and Chrome, same issue.
                With chrome I get less lags, than with IE.

Comment

I modified the igp grafic settings. Gfx boost -> enabled, instead of 32 I reserved 128 mb Ram for the graphics.

Result: Prime instant video silverlight HD streaming is fluent - now only in Internet explorer (nearly no more lags in rapid scenes).

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby-Doo View Post
                    I modified the igp grafic settings. Gfx boost -> enabled, instead of 32 I reserved 128 mb Ram for the graphics.

Result: Prime instant video silverlight HD streaming is fluent - now only in Internet explorer (nearly no more lags in rapid scenes).
                    That's more like it mate. Nice find.
                    To Infinity and Beyond.... XBMC

Comment

Exactly where do i change this? Tried to find it in bios settings but i guess i am blind...

Comment

Exactly where do i change this? Tried to find it in bios settings but i guess i am blind...
                        Go to UEFI bios -> chipset -> north bridge -> intel IGD configuration -> and there you find the entries "gfx boost" and you can decide the amount of the ram reserved for the gpu.

Comment

Go to UEFI bios -> chipset -> north bridge -> intel IGD configuration -> and there you find the entries "gfx boost" and you can decide the amount of the ram reserved for the gpu.

Amazing! It really works. No stutter anymore that i can see in quick test. Thx alot man!

Edit some minor stutter still but cpu is 80c so i guess thermal throttling is a issue too.

Comment

Amazing! It really works. No stutter anymore that i can see in quick test. Thx alot man!

Edit some minor stutter still but cpu is 80c so i guess thermal throttling is a issue too.
                            Yes the first way to get better streaming performance was to mod the box. My temps are always below 50 ° C over all cores, even with permanent 100 % usage in prime95. Look in my heatsink modding threat.

Comment

Yes the first way to get better streaming performance was to mod the box. My temps are always below 50 ° C over all cores, even with permanent 100 % usage in prime95. Look in my heatsink modding threat.
                              I get choppy streaming regardless of IE, Chrome or Firefox. I've tried to html5 addon to see if it's the flashplayer causing this. Even with the graphic setting in BIOS i have no significant change.

The one thing left to do is get better cooling for the box. But it f*ing sucks to have a box like this and simple websurfing/streaming is choppy.

Comment

Working...
                              X