Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[TUTORIAL] How I fixed my HD Ready overscan issue

Hi,

I'm posting this because I saw a LOT of overscan issues not being solved here.

My setup: Pipo X7 and a "HD READY" Samsung LE32R73BD connected via HDMI.

I first tried, of course, to check the drivers settings, tried different version of the driver.
    No success for me but you should try this first.

I tried then to modify settings on my TV, but I only got a "zoom" preset that did not let me setup it properly for me and did not saved the zoom preset.
    I tried to access the hidden service menu that should have let me put my TV in some "1:1 mode", or not scanning the image (I've been reading that it should work via VGA cable but I'm still waiting the HDMI>VGA adapter I ordered)
    So try this by looking in your TV menu, or hidden service menu. Search for the display name of this feature for your TV set. Be careful if accessing Service Menu Mode as some parameters modification could break your TV.

I was left without any solution for my issue. Began to rage ^^

But I found a way to hack the HD Intel Graphic Driver to setup a custom resolution:
    - PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THOSE TOOLS YOU COULD DO SOMETHING REALLY WRONG WITH IT -
    - The data in this tutorial are for MY TV set and will not work for yours -

1- Calculate the perfect Custom Resolution for your TV set by extracting the EDID (aka Modeline) of your monitor/TV with a free program called MonInfo by EnTech: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

2- Past and Interpret EDID Raw data in another free program called DTD Calculator by Clever Tec.: http://www.clevertec.co.uk/productsfree.htm
    Double click on one of the "found DTDs" in oder to import the data on the left fields.

3- You will then have to find the closer resolution that fit your TV set (for me 1280X720) by tweaking it with the "Tuning" option of DTDCalculator to find the perfect match (I ended with 1200X680@60Hz) using the buttons.

4- Once you got a first shot, go to "Registry Hack" > click "More" >click "Get Calculated" > click "Write to registry" button at the bottom > reboot

5- Open your gfx driver (the windows one) > advanced parameters > "list all modes" button (be sure that it's set to display the resolution that are not made for your screen in "screen" tab)
    The resolution imported by DTDcalc registry hack should be here.

I used a picture, made fullscreen, found on internet to check the borders http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....8/overscan.gif

6- Try again with another resolution if not good.

The reference webpages where I found all the details you'll need (except for the calculation for YOUR TV's DTDs, but I did mine by myself):
    - The "basics" (aka YES you can do it manually by editing the Registry but I had some part of my registry I could not access): https://software.intel.com/en-us/art...intel-graphics
    - How to use of the softwares: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/303998
    - Some other posts that helped me setting up the right resolution for my TV:

https://codechief.wordpress.com/2010...ntel-graphics/

Hope this will help
    Last edited by virusX; 11-09-2015, 12:53. Reason: screenshots are back :)

I can add 1366 x 768 resolution with DTD calculator to the registry with this approach, but if I change screen resolution to it, I get black screen and I need to wait until resolution is automatically reverted to 1280 x 720, so that doesn't work.
    But, if I try to add additional 1280 x 720 and adjust overscan (final resolution is 1225 x 688), I don't see that resolution as an available one in display settings. Any ideas? How did you get 1200 x 680 in the list?
    Last edited by kipo; 03-21-2015, 17:58.

Comment

Double check your "Pixel Clock (MHz)" (thx kipo) field. A blank screen is almost certainly due to a frequency issue. My ref frequency was 74.25.
      I obtained a good resolution by using a native resolution and use the "Tunig" option without touching any other parameter then clicked again on "Get calculated" in the registry hack and then resent those in the Register.
      I used a picture, made fullscreen, found on internet to check the borders http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....8/overscan.gif

PS: You can achieve the hack using the Regedit, but you'll have to change it in every DTD keys or you can also hack the .inf file of the driver and install it manually (I did not succeed this way).
      Last edited by virusX; 03-22-2015, 11:08.

Comment

If by "Frequency" you mean on "Pixel Clock (MHz)" field than it's not empty (it's set to 85.5 for 1366 x 768).
        And, I don't want to touch "original" resolution just in case I mess something...
        But, here is additional info: I created new 1919 x 1080 resolution, restarted PC, applied it and it worked fine. After that, I used "Tuning" tab to compensate overscan (which created some smaller resolution, I'm not sure which exact, but let's say 1890 x 1050), I saved it to registry, restarted PC and tried to apply it. Right after I selected it, I got the same result as with 1366 x 768 - blank screen, so I again had to wait for auto revert.

Comment

Custom resolutions can be entered directly from Intel HD graphics control panel. You don't have to go through registry editing. On Intel HD Graphics Control Panel you can access custom resolutions from Display drop down.

Comment

Originally posted by WeK05 View Post
            Custom resolutions can be entered directly from Intel HD graphics control panel. You don't have to go through registry editing. On Intel HD Graphics Control Panel you can access custom resolutions from Display drop down.
            Screenshot, please?

Comment

Originally posted by kipo View Post
              Screenshot, please?
              Check this post - https://communities.intel.com/message/250601

Comment

There is no "Custom Resolutions" option in Pipo X7 driver version, so this doesn't work.

Comment

In fact nobody's wrong here
                  It depends on the EDID sent to the driver by the display.
                  On my computer screen I can achieve any known resolution, no problem, but my old and crappy Samsung HD ready TV set that is sending 2 base resolution (720p and 1080i), the driver let me choose one of those but are badly interpreted by my display which is giving me overscan that I can't correct by tweaking the settings.
                  I can tick the "display resolution not compatible with my display" option but it don't give me any perfect one (1280X600 let me see the bottom and top with black bars and I still have missing display on Left Right borders).
                  So I don't have the "Custom resolution" option in the Intel HD graphics control panel.

@kipo: yes it's "Pixel Clock" (I'll correct my post). That pixel clock must match the one(s) of your TV set, there's no way you will display anything with a wrong frequency.
                  As I said I copied the EDID of my TV to get the native resolution, THEN I tweaked the "Tuning" to achieve a strange but perfect 1200X680
                  So you'll have to start with a working resolution for your set, don't touche manually the numbers and just "Tune", do not forget to "Get Calculated" again before sending the data to the Registry.
                  I'll do screenshots of the walkthrough later.
                  Any other way (manual tweaking) led me to a black screen too, it's not that it's impossible it's just you will have to know the exact parameters.
                  Last edited by virusX; 03-22-2015, 12:07.

Comment

Thanks, but that's exactly what I did:
                    1. Selected 1920 x 1080 from "Standard Timings" list
                    2. Changed "H Active Pixels" from 1920 to 1919 (I did this just to see new resolution in the graphic adapter settings list)
                    3. Clicked on "Get Calculated"
                    4. Clicked on "Write DTD to Registry"
                    5. Restarted PC
                    6. Selected new 1919 x 1080 resolution in the graphic adapter settings and it's working
                    7. Opened DTD Calculator
                    8. Clicked on "Create Modeline" to pull 1919 x 1080 settings
                    9. Clicked on "Tuning" tab and corrected Overscan with the help of "Ruler" button
                    10. Clicked on "Get Calculated"
                    11. Clicked on "Write DTD to Registry"
                    12. Restarted PC
                    13. Tried to select new 1900 x 1060 resolution in graphic adapter settings, but I got blank screen after applying it

Comment

First post edited with screenshots
                      @kipo, you'll have to import your EDID with the first software, "standard timings" aren't made for your non standard TV set (like mine, HR Ready is not a real "standard", shame).
                      It's almost sure you will get a wrong "Pixel clock" from it for your display.
                      Use the other software to get your EDID raw data and follow the screenshots procedure in first post.
                      Any wrong parameter for your display will give you blank screen (that's why they "locked" the feature for our sets)
                      Last edited by virusX; 03-22-2015, 12:12.

Comment

Images you inserted in the first post aren't visible (I assume you must change access rights in the Dropbox).
                        And, I did use MonInfo to get EDID values, but it doesn't work for me either. I tried to get the right values here: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Modeline_Database but my TV isn't listed there (Panasonic TX-32LE8PA), so I tried with other values for Panasonic 1366 x 768, but nothing works. And, like I wrote earlier, if I create 1280 x 720, I can't see newly created resolution in the graphic adapter list. If I create 1281 x 720, I can see it, I can select it, it works, but as soon as I set overscan value, (so that final resolution becomes 1260 x 700), I don't see it anymore in the list, so I can't select it...

Comment

Ha OK I'll edit the Dropbox rights. I also edited the steps in the procedure.
                          My TV was not listed too so I had to use MonInfo.
                          I really encourage you to do it from this raw data import as every DTD I found on the internet were not working for me.

Comment

Thanks, but like I wrote earlier, I did paste EDID from MonInfo (I tried with every single EDID I got there), but it doesn't work at all for 1360 x 768 (I get the resolution in the graphic adapter list, but TV screen gets blank after I select it) and I don't see 1280 x 720 (I only see the default 1280 x 720, not the newly created one with the overscan adjustment applied). Maybe I'll get more ideas after you set Dropbox images settings...

Comment

I did everything exactly as you described in your screenshots. Only difference is that I have 5 DTDs on the last screenshot and you only have only 1, so I'm not sure if you deleted 4, or I somehow added 4? And, I'm not sure will I make a mess if I delete my extra 4, set the resolution and then find out that it's not working?

Comment

Working...
                              X