New device and I love it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New device and I love it!

So, I ordered the pipo x7 from amazon. It arrived within about 2 weeks. In the interim, I read literally everything here relating to this device. I was somewhat concerned about the heat issue, and was left wondering if I had made a good choice. This forum, and its members, BTW, must be complimented. Great bunch of clever folks, happy to help by sharing knowledge, and very little of the drama one often finds on like boards.

So, after a bit of trouble getting the device to navigate the HDMI>Marantz receiver>Toshiba 1080p TV set up it was smooth as butter. This thing does everything I wanted it to do...and then some. 1080p streaming from youtube, netflix and Kodi work flawlessly. 5.1 audio is working perfectly, except that I find that most of the content on Kodi is 2 channel stereo. But if Dolby 5.1 is available, it works.

In terms of heat, I have been monitoring using software, and to date I haven't experienced any throttling at all. After an hour or so of streaming 1080p my temperatures are in the high 40sC to the mid 50sC. I don't think I need worry about temperatures like that. They quickly drop to the mid to high 30s when idle. I kind of wonder if Pipo has made some changes to the heat sink arrangement since the earliest boxes, but haven't taken it apart to see. If it works well, I see no reason to start pulling the thing apart.

What do you folks think, are these temperatures something to be concerned about?

I'd probably want to pull it apart just to see what is different!

Mine: when it was Stock spec, about 5 minutes AFTER a 10-loop Burntest, would stabilise in the mid 60's (idle) and it would hit ~90C by the end of the 1st loop.

I've ordered the foam heat conducting pad and some copper shims, right now, I'm just using a little heatsink (approx 20mmx20mmx10mm) that a swiped off an old AGP Matrox G450... it's taken the temp down a little, probably ~5C lower for idle (down to 60C idle and 75C after the first burn-test loop - it now takes 3 loops to get to ~85C, doesn't creep much above that)... I've got some thermal paste in there, but I don't think the heatsink is getting very good contact, hence why I've got the copper shims arriving soon.

All recent testing done with win10, horizontal orientation of the PiPo, no fans, ~25C ambient. Clean boot, then running CPU-Z, HWmonitor and Intel BurnTest (@ "Custom 768Mb").

Comment

my Pipo X7s that came the otherday has a 5mm thermal pad preinstalled on the bottom .. I had already one for it oh well .. still just the aluminum tape up top will replace soon as my order from **** comes in . all in all very happy with it
      Last edited by wwmoggy; 07-12-2015, 22:07.

Comment

Interesting. I'm just not seeing any heat issues, so am inclined to think that something has changed. Did a stress test just now, all cores running at 100% for about 10 minutes. Highest temperature was 62c and no throttling.

Comment

I have mine sitting on little legs so the base is raised up a 1/2" that seems to help

Comment

Originally posted by charlotte View Post
            Interesting. I'm just not seeing any heat issues, so am inclined to think that something has changed. Did a stress test just now, all cores running at 100% for about 10 minutes. Highest temperature was 62c and no throttling.
            Either Pipo has took note of everyone having to mod there box's & fitted a bigger & better heat sink or you have a clone device that's better than the original.

Another thought maybe you live in the north pole lol

Lets hope that pipo have finally upped there game
            Please consider making a Donation to freakTab

Comment

Well, if you open to see how is inside, the community of the forum would appreciate, and the question about any improvement will be answered! Is very easy to open. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rfwagner View Post
                Well, if you open to see how is inside, the community of the forum would appreciate, and the question about any improvement will be answered! Is very easy to open. Thanks
                +1
                Please consider making a Donation to freakTab

Comment

photos X7S 64 GB from geekbuying ordered june 30th delivered on the 6th shipped by DHL to canada
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by wwmoggy View Post
                    photos X7S 64 GB from geekbuying ordered june 30th delivered on the 6th shipped by DHL to canada
                    Well, I did remove the bottom plate on my Pipo this morning and I also found the grey thermal pad installed on the bottom. Looks just like wwmoggy's pictures, except on mine it is stuck to the bottom plate instead of the board. I assume that the pad is sticky on both sides, and in my case it stuck better to the case than the board. I didn't take the board out of the case to see if they did anything else. This simple change seems to be quite effective.

Comment

yes it is sticky on both sides. there is no change on the other side . I will be adding heat sinks to mine .. the X frame for the mother board is gone and replaced by a full sized frame . it doubles the thickness of top of the case .

Comment

Originally posted by wwmoggy View Post
                        yes it is sticky on both sides. there is no change on the other side . I will be adding heat sinks to mine .. the X frame for the mother board is gone and replaced by a full sized frame . it doubles the thickness of top of the case .
                        What kind of temperatures are you getting? In my case, I don't think further changes are needed, max temps in the high 40s to mid 50s. Or is that still too hot?

Comment

t200 temp 40C 100 at idle -- 42C 108 F max

Cpu temps 44 C idle --- 57C 134 F max

cpu Gt 41 C 105 F --- 217 C 422 F max No idea what Gt is

Comment

Hi all! I have been looking into the x7s for a bit, and am deciding between the x7s and x8. The only real difference seems to be that the x8 has a touch screen on it to make it eligible for cheap windows. Do any of you have any knowledge of any other differences between the two?

Comment

the touch screen still has hdmi out .. get the 64 gb version

Comment

Working...
                              X