Windows 10 manual upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 manual upgrade?

I tried to update manually with the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft (like here says http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...serve_mod1_faq), but I don't know if I'm doing right.
    In the program, I can choose what version of Windows is to download (Home, Single Language and Pro)
    I choose Single Language, but I don't know if the right choice is one of the other ones, because at the beginning it is asking for the serial key, and obviously doesn't, work because it's not a W10 serial key (we need to update our Windows 8.1 with all the files and configurations first, so the key will be converted to W10 and later we will be able to make a clean install, but first need to upgrade).

So, anyone got success?

I made in my other main PC and all went right, and didn't ask for a serial with this manually method. I choose for that one Windows 10 Pro to download.

Thanks

This worked for me

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...dows-10-update
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

I just updated my X7. It was extremely easy. You need to create an usb using the regular Win 10 home 32bit not the single language. I wanted to do a clean install so I first did a system update from with Windows 8.1 when that was done I checked to make sure the new update of Win 10 was activated, which it was, then I used a activation key finding program to find my new Win 10 Home serial number. I then booted dire tly to the Win 10 install usb and did a fresh install. Download the driver pack in this forum to install hardware that isn't installed with the update.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Dasher View Post
        I just updated my X7. It was extremely easy. You need to create an usb using the regular Win 10 home 32bit not the single language. I wanted to do a clean install so I first did a system update from with Windows 8.1 when that was done I checked to make sure the new update of Win 10 was activated, which it was, then I used a activation key finding program to find my new Win 10 Home serial number. I then booted dire tly to the Win 10 install usb and did a fresh install. Download the driver pack in this forum to install hardware that isn't installed with the update.
        How much free space left after your clean install? I did a upgrade, with the old program from before, I have only 5.8G left.
        MK808B Plus, MK908II

Comment

The fresh install, which included deleting each partiton and having Win setup recreate them plus not having other software installed is 21gig remaining. One of the main reasons I did a clean install was to remove any chinese elements that may have remained from the initial install.

Comment

Good advice: I didn't do it this way around and I'm having a lot of activation issues.... I went from 8.1 to the Windows 10 "Insider" Preview version.... which although "activated" clearly never upgraded my key.

I've done a clean install of win10, seems to be working very nicely, except the key isn't being recognised....

Looks like I'm going to have to back this one up (so I retain the DRM data), rebuild win8.1, activate, upgrade to win10, re-activate and upgrade my key..... then (hopefully) I can restore my previous win10 image (hence my new thread asking about the best ways to take a full system image).

edit/update:
            Sorry for replying to all these threads, but I'm aware different people will be following different threads:

I'm not sure if we're supposed to post links directly to the recovery images, but Geekbuying.com's customer support page has two (legal!) links in the X7 product page, under "firmware and support" (same as the Baidu files, I think). There are two versions - you can only use the version that applies to the key that Pipo have loaded into your BIOS.

The Mar-2015 3Gb "with activation fix" version would not activate for me - automatically or after slmgr'ing my valid serial (as extracted using RWeverything).... but the older (Jan-2015 5Gb) version worked perfectly and auto-activated.
            Last edited by bahnstormer; 08-05-2015, 15:08. Reason: update on my recovery:

Comment

From my experience, you MUST have the default windows 8.1 w/Bing installed and have it activated then do the windows 10 upgrade. Fresh install gave me 30 days to activate even with putting the key from the bios in, it would not work. I have the earlier version of the X7 and had to install the 20150121 version downloaded from geekbuying.com. I spent over 3 days using all different kinds of installs and this is the ONLY one that worked with activation for me. Windows 10 upgrade was immediate upon initial boot into windows 8.1 w/Bing!

Comment

Originally posted by jetski1963 View Post
                From my experience, you MUST have the default windows 8.1 w/Bing installed and have it activated then do the windows 10 upgrade. Fresh install gave me 30 days to activate even with putting the key from the bios in, it would not work. I have the earlier version of the X7 and had to install the 20150121 version downloaded from geekbuying.com. I spent over 3 days using all different kinds of installs and this is the ONLY one that worked with activation for me. Windows 10 upgrade was immediate upon initial boot into windows 8.1 w/Bing!

Further to this, I can confirm that if a manual upgrade is your end game, then this works:
                1) firmware reset everything (partitions, etc) back to factory, with 8.1w/Bing, as described above.
                2) run the Win10 upgrade from within 8.1, check that it is now activated (it should happen automatically) - this means that it has updated you old win8.1w/Bing product key in UEFI to a Win10 one.
                3) THEN re-install from the win10 ISO, delete all the partitions and reboot - it will NOT be activated, but then....
                4) apply the Finless driver pack (to get it online) and you should be able to activate your win10 home clean install using the new product key in UEFI - boot into Win10, and just go to Computer properties and click "activate online".

Net result: 19.9Gb free space
                Last edited by bahnstormer; 08-07-2015, 09:33. Reason: cleared up step 3 & 4 - I may have assumed a bit too much of my audience...

Comment

It has been quite long but i managed to upgrad my Pipo X7 from Win8.1 w/Bing (FR) to Win10 Home (FR) thanks to bluesmanuk's post =>

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...pdate-baytrail
                  Last edited by jeanphil; 08-09-2015, 19:18.

Comment

Originally posted by jetski1963 View Post
                    ...... Fresh install gave me 30 days to activate even with putting the key from the bios in, it would not work......
                    Microsoft has changed the way they activate Win 10 installs. After updating 9 Windows machines with a variety of Home and Pro licenses I noticed that the after doing the initial Win8.1. to Win 10 updates (before doing a clean install) all the Windows Home Systems had the same License key and the Pro versions had the same license key (but different than the home license). When I proceeded to do a clean install I couldn't use the initial key found in the bios I had to use the new (and similar key) for each version. This makes me believe that Microsoft doesn't use individual license keys for each free update but rather focuses on the Product ID number which is different on each machine.

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

The fresh install, which included deleting each partiton and having Win setup recreate them plus not having other software installed is 21gig remaining. One of the main reasons I did a clean install was to remove any chinese elements that may have remained from the initial install.
                      I noticed the same.... so my path has been:
                      1) 8.1/wB (factory)
                      2) 10 preview
                      3) 10 (clean build, all partitions cleared, unregistered)
                      4) 8.1/wB ("firmware" reset back to factory)
                      5) 10 (upgrade-registered)
                      6) 10 (clean build, all partitions cleared, unregistered)
                      a) Finless driverpack, all INF's EXCEPT replace graphics with latest install from Intel.
                      b) register

I tried registering at step #3, after applying the driver pack, but was getting a variety of errors that were effectively saying "invalid product key/ID".

I'm not sure I would ever have ended up with 21Gb free (mine was 19.9Gb, but that was after driver packs installed + all available windows update and I'm just looking at it with the pagefile included in the space consumed - which I think could be reduced).

If you're fine-tuning space - remember that larger graphics reserved space = less system RAM, so less default pageile, but potentially a larger dynamic pagefile... ultimately (if space is your ONLY) goal), you should probably set the gpahics memory as low as possible and manually overide the pagefile settings to be static and as low as possible (256Mb?)... that will get you through an upgrade, but will leave your Pipo struggling with media playback, so you'll need to set the raphics back to around 128Mb/256Mb at least to get the video playback (especially Silverlight) working again.

Comment

I noticed that the after doing the initial Win8.1. to Win 10 updates (before doing a clean install) all the Windows Home Systems had the same License key
                        Does that mean that you can do a clean install by using one of those equal lincense keys on another PC?

Comment

Originally posted by fltk View Post

Does that mean that you can do a clean install by using one of those equal lincense keys on another PC?
                          I think you have to update through Win 8.1 first and make sure the updated has been activated before using the common key to do a clean install. But afterm that I would guess that every time you did a clean install on that particular unit you could use the common key. Microsoft just has to first be able to have a registration of the units product ID.

Comment

The "product key" as retrieved from ACPI-MSDM (using RWeverything) is the same with the factory build (win8.1/wB) and the fully registered clean/manual install of win10.... so I'm not sure that the win10 install gives you a "new" key during the upgrade, but just perhaps registers the old key for win10 usage..... so I'm pretty sure you can't have installs on multiple PC's using one key (not if they can all see the internet).... the win 8.1 key is specific to your PiPo and only eligible for one upgrade.... shouldn't be an issue really as all win7/win8.x keys should be eligible for the same upgrade - and if you are still running winXP (or a dodgy copy of a later Windows).... maybe it is about time to pay Microsoft for what is a pretty decent product?

Comment

I used KeyFinder to retrieve the Win8.1 CD key on laptop. I applied the Win10 upgrade via USB. Ran KeyFinder and the key was not the same. I had an issue with the laptop , so I dropped back to 8.1. It was notified that the Win10 upgrade was available, shortly there after. I downloaded and applied it. I ran KeyFinder again and it was the same key as the upgrade via USB. MS must 'brand' the key to a CPU serial or something in BIOS. I have 5 WIN10 boxes where I have saved the key for each machine in case I need to do a clean install. Finless Bob's post about this is quite good.

Nvidia Shield (2017 & 2019), A95x Max, WD EX2 NAS

Comment

Working...
                              X