Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone got the windows 8.1 w/Bing restore from backup image to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone got the windows 8.1 w/Bing restore from backup image to work?

Hello all, I did the backup as written in the Finless instructions, First thing you should do with the Pipo X7. I installed windows 10 technical preview. now wanted to go back to 8.1 with bing to get Windows 10 FREE. but no mater what I try. it doesn't find the images that were made. I have installed the version from Geekbuying.com but, that doesn't let windows activate. key is blocked by the server. I still have all the installation files. This is very frustrating! I have spent MANY hours trying to figure this out. Any assistance someone can provide is GREATLY appreciated! I have also gone to the Post " [Pipo X7] OS Official Windows 8.1" and tried that download link listed in the comments below the download links. I translate the Chinese and it wants to install Bando or something like that. I just want my Windows 8.1 w/Bing install back from what I made in Finless instructions. Thanks

I'm facing the same issue: the Insider Preview seems to have painted me into a corner that I can't get out of: need a system re-image to just blat the entire box back to factory... I should have taken a full disk image pre-win10 install, so I could get back to win8.1.... because the upgrades need you to upgrade from 8.1 to 10... stupidly, I thought that having all the win8.1 install ISO's meant that I'd always have a "worst case scenario" recovery, but those don't support Bing at all.... apparently we have to get that from PiPo....

Comment

looks like geekbuying.com provides the files to customers - I'm sure all customers can check their site for firmware and rebuild support....

Comment

Originally posted by bahnstormer View Post
        looks like geekbuying.com provides the files to customers - I'm sure all customers can check their site for firmware and rebuild support....
        and for all the geekbuying.com customers who do go back to them for support be warned that they have two versions on their support area: one rebuild image from Jan (~5Gb) and a (3Gb) version from Mar that is labelled "activation fixed". I tried the newer one first, which would NOT activate with my UEFI key (or typing it in manually), but the orginal one did work - which backs up my theory that my hardware is older stock - they must have two different batches of serial numbers for slightly different variants (both were windows 8.1 with Bing - as per our pre-loaded license keys).

Comment

FANTASTIC!!! Thanks for the info. Will try and download when I get home. This has been driving me crazy!

Comment

I can confirm that using the non-"activation fix" 5Gb version worked perfectly for me, including the activation.... I was then able to do an upgrade from within Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Home and it worked flawlessly (again, including automatic activation).

I've imaged the whole upgraded win10 system (created bootable ISO and Macrium image) - I don't have the LAN drivers installed yet, so I'm copying he image and iso files off to a USB.... but as soon as I know that will boot and is a semi-viable fall-back position, I'm going to do a FULL re-install from a win10 ISO where I clear out all the partitions.... fingers crossed!

If that works, then the next step is to see if my first win10 recovery (with my Sky Go DRM tagged to it for August) will get Sky Go working again,... this may be a bridge too far, but everything is looking pretty good for now.

Comment

I also can confirm the above statement from bahnstormer is correct. upon first initial boot from the restore. It instantly went into the windows 10 upgrade! finally after hours, no days of trying and who knows how many beers. it is finally complete. thanks again bahnstormer! Oh and Office 365 stated that I had till Aug 16th to activate my FREE 1 year subscription! did that before I did the windows 10 upgrade.

Comment

Working...
              X