Anybody upgrade to Windows 10 on X7S?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cjeman View Post
    Windows 10 makes a backup of the prior Windows version that it keeps for 30 days before wiping. This should have been done a while ago. You can see if it is still there by left clicking C:, selecting Properties, Disk Cleanup. Run this one time. When finished, run again and click 'Clean up system files'. When you run this Windows will warn you that you are removing your backup copy of old Windows, if it is still there. When this completes, you should get back around 10 GB, if it was still there.
    I have done this already. Looks like Win 10 ate all 22 gigs I have. Any ideas on what folders can be deleted? What kind of SSD will fit in the pipo?

Comment

Hmmm.. Windows 10 & Kodi takes up 14GB on my X7S. (Kodi accounts for 3.5GB). Are you sure Windows is the culprit?
      Nvidia Shield (2017 & 2019), A95x Max, WD EX2 NAS

Comment

Hmmm.. Windows 10 & Kodi takes up 14GB on my X7S. (Kodi accounts for 3.5GB). Are you sure Windows is the culprit?
        Beside Windows I have only Kodi, VLC player, Sopcast and ACE player installed on the computer. 99% of the time I use Kodi.
        Is there an option to format the HDD and clearly re-install Windows from DVD/USB without affecting Android boot option?

Comment

Gotta be careful doing this. I 'had' a dual boot Pipo X8. I decided to re-install Win10 from USB and it wiped out all of the partitions and cleanly installed it in 64gb, minus Android. You will need the CD key from your current Win 10 install, in order to reinstall Win10. KeyFinder does this, but it install some 'bonus' apps too.

Hard to figure what your memory is going for? Sounds like your Win10 environment is pretty thin. I'd crawl around C: and see where the hog lives.

Comment

Gotta be careful doing this. I 'had' a dual boot Pipo X8. I decided to re-install Win10 from USB and it wiped out all of the partitions and cleanly installed it in 64gb, minus Android. You will need the CD key from your current Win 10 install, in order to reinstall Win10. KeyFinder does this, but it install some 'bonus' apps too.

Hard to figure what your memory is going for? Sounds like your Win10 environment is pretty thin. I'd crawl around C: and see where the hog lives.
            Will do. I am going to install total commander or something of the sort to check the size of every folder and see which one causes the problem. What did you mean when said "key finder installs some 'bonus' apps"? Does it contain a virus or some sort of tracker / personal info stealer ?

Comment

Yeah... There is something that McAfee identifies as a virus that gets installed with KeyFinder. I had to use ZHPCleaner to kill it.

Comment

I tried clear install using MediaCreationTool.exe on Saturday on my PIPO X7S and it went without problems.
                Since I decided not to use Android, I simply deleted - almost - all partitions, created new big one having some 29 GB.
                You need 1st to free up cca 8GB of space, although the install does not consume it all.
                You can gain significant amount of disk space e.g. disabling hibernation (powercfg -h off) and removing/shrinking pagefile.

Comment

I did a migration of a 32gb Windows 8.1 box and needed to put a 16gb USB drive on it in order to get the MCT to migrate the box. Try this.

Comment

Windows folder is 12 Gb. Is that normal?
                    Anyways, Kodi Cache folder was the one which caused the problem. The folder was 10Gb. I simply installed Xunity Maintainance addon and cleared the cache.

Comment

Oh yeah... Kodi can gobble up lots of space depending on addons and cache. Most addons have a clear cache command. In 32gb, any space is valuable.

Comment

My C:\Windows has almost 9 GB after clear install and some one month of operation, i.e. incl. updates. WinSxS has 4,5 GB.

Comment

Working...
                        X