Will ever receive Windows 10 Upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will ever receive Windows 10 Upgrade?

My Pipo x7 running 24x7 for a month now. I received the Windows 10 upgrade reserve long time ago and I did reserve it. Now I get a Windows icon a few weeks back. When click it says "We are validating your PC.....". I'm not sure I'll ever get the OTA upgrade. My other PC running 8.1 which I on and off it from time to time already have the upgrade file downloaded and I just upgraded it yesterday without problem.

have you actually tried just going to the Microsoft site and checking?

From the microsoft.com home page, click "Windows 10" and then "How to upgrade", where they explain a variety of ways to check the status of your upgrade or to manually trigger it and/or download USB and ISO images if you would like to install it faster (I didn't want to wait for some of my PC's, so I did mine on the 30th July)...

Just be careful to do an UPGRADE (from within win8.1) the first time you install win10... don't do what I did and strip out all the partitions for a "PROPERLY CLEAN" install... the first win10 install (upgrade) process does something clever with the product code in UEFI - it either registers / alters it in a way that enabled win10 installs... once you've done it once though, it will allow a "PROPERLY CLEAN" win10 install straight afterwards.
    Last edited by bahnstormer; 08-07-2015, 09:38.

Comment

Thanks. I'm downloading it from Microsoft website. Once done, I'll do the upgrade option as you suggested.

I run my x7 headless by using Teamviewer to control it. Is it ok to do the upgrade through Teamviewer? I understand that during the upgrade process, I won't be able to observe the progress and it also doesn't need my interaction until it completed the upgrade and restart itself as Win 10. Then I would be able to use Teamviewer to login and control it as usual. Do I understand correctly?

update: just completed the upgrade through teamviewer remote control. There was a long blackout period during the upgrade, then it came back. Thanks again for your suggestion.
      Last edited by bthoven; 08-07-2015, 11:48.

Comment

So did you guys just click on Win 10 upgrade from within 8.1 and it went smooth?
        I had previously removed the Android partition and currently run only win 8.1 after doing clean install. Today I see an icon that my windows 10 upgrade is ready to be schedule for upgrade.

Is there any other precaution I need to take?

Thanks In advance

Comment

I'd always say: make sure you know your product key* (using RWeverything) and go through with all your usual recovery disk creation, system backup, plus anything else you might normally do.... just in case you've forgotten something.

* you will probably NEVER need to see that key / enter it anywhere - just skip / or say "enter this later" and once you're booted with

I know some people have had the "something happened" issue - usually related to mixing up language pack installs, but my installs have always worked fine with "UK region, UK language and "US International" keyboard".

The other way that (some) people go wrong is trying to do a full clean install the first time: the first time you install HAS to be an upgrade (this does something with the product key in UEFI - either it resets it to a win10 compatible one (in UEFI) or it just registers it as win10 compatible - either way: after that initial upgrade, you can do a full, clean install if you want to.

Comment

Originally posted by bahnstormer View Post
            I'd always say: make sure you know your product key* (using RWeverything) and go through with all your usual recovery disk creation, system backup, plus anything else you might normally do.... just in case you've forgotten something.

* you will probably NEVER need to see that key / enter it anywhere - just skip / or say "enter this later" and once you're booted with

I know some people have had the "something happened" issue - usually related to mixing up language pack installs, but my installs have always worked fine with "UK region, UK language and "US International" keyboard".

The other way that (some) people go wrong is trying to do a full clean install the first time: the first time you install HAS to be an upgrade (this does something with the product key in UEFI - either it resets it to a win10 compatible one (in UEFI) or it just registers it as win10 compatible - either way: after that initial upgrade, you can do a full, clean install if you want to.
            Thank you.
            I just did an upgrade from within windows 8.1 on the pipo x7s which had Android removed previously. It went pretty smooth but took its own sweet time. I dont think i need to do a clean install yet.
            But I would like to download the iso. Which version should I use of Home 32-bit (Regular, N or Single Language)?

Nevermind I just saw a previous post from you bahnstormer. Thanks Again

"Further to this, I can confirm that if a manual upgrade is your end game, then this works:
            1) firmware reset everything (partitions, etc) back to factory, with 8.1w/Bing, as described above.
            2) run the Win10 upgrade from within 8.1, check that it is now activated (it should happen automatically) - this means that it has updated you old win8.1w/Bing product key in UEFI to a Win10 one.
            3) THEN re-install from the win10 ISO, delete all the partitions and reboot - it will NOT be activated, but then....
            4) apply the Finless driver pack (to get it online) and you should be able to activate your win10 home clean install using the new product key in UEFI - boot into Win10, and just go to Computer properties and click "activate online".

Net result: 19.9Gb free space "

Comment

Working...
            X