Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to boot from USB drive

Hi all,

I'm new on this forum, so I firstly want to thank all for the great forum.

I've a Pipo X8 (I think it might be similar to X7) and i want to boot from a USB drive. I've enter to BIOS (press ESC on boot) but I only can set "UEFI: Flash drive name" as first device, and in this way it does,t work.

I think I need to boot, but not with UEFI mode, but legacy bios boot (in this way I boot in other computer.

So my question is that: How can I boot from an USB drive using an usb drive with legacy bios boot?

Regards and thank you
    Last edited by Yusterlan; 09-07-2015, 17:42.

Any help?

I'd really thank some advice

Regards

Comment

Hi Again,

By pressing F7 when boot I can get the boot menu, but none of the usb drives I've used work:

-Legacy BIOS USB drive fails since I've only option for UEFI.
      -UEFI USB fails. I think it could be becouse it uses a 64 bit UEFI and pipo is limited to 32 bits.

So I suppose I need to create a booteable USB drive using 32bit that lauchs the ISO I need (Clonezilla for example).

Any help?

Comment

Press F7 and you'll see a usb boot option, but it depends on the tech your bootable uses, for example I can boot from a recovery usb created by Windows but can't boot from a ubuntu bootable usb

Comment

Originally posted by tomtruong View Post
          Press F7 and you'll see a usb boot option, but it depends on the tech your bootable uses, for example I can boot from a recovery usb created by Windows but can't boot from a ubuntu bootable usb
          Many thanks for your answer,

I would like to launch parted magic and then clonezilla, then make a full backup of the internal eMMC, so I can recover later if something goes wrong.

To now I've done this:

1-Create a UEFI Boot USB using a tool called UEFI MULTI 85 (didn't know this until now)
          2-This USB drive does'n work since has no 32bit compatibility
          3-I add 32 bit compatibility adding some files to the usb drive, copying the files of this pack: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2276498
          4-Now I can boot from the drive, but can't start parted magic (even when I add it in first step)
          5-Locate parted magic version asked by the program and copy to usb drive
          6-Can't start parted magic, but I can run clonezilla from it. The problem is internal eMMC is not recognized

So, my aim is making a whole backup of eMMC, but don't know how to do this. If would be very helpful if I could boot in legacy bios mode, so I could use my parted magic thumb drive.

Regards and thanks

Comment

Oh didn't know that too. I am also finding a solution, none of my backup solutions before such as Acronis could boot up.

Comment

Hi all,

I've found a way to make clonezilla boot and I can create the image of the internal eMMC drive. I've use the way described here:

The image of the disk seems to be correctly created, I have try to restore it on a SSD, but unfortunately this install doesn't work on another computer, I guess due to the boot metod doesn't work.

But it is not my problem, I don't want to use this image with other computer. The problem is I can't restore the created image on the computer! Even when I start clonezilla and use the usual way to restore the image onto the eMMC drive, everything seems to be fine but when I restart I've the same Windows install I had, it is, nothing has happend.

It seems like there is some write protect on the internal drive, clonezilla seems to make the work but actually nothing.

I've change the UEFI BIOS option in "Advanced" -> "LPSS & SCC Configuration" -> "eMMC Write Protect" from "Enabled to disabled", but problem persist.

There is an option called "Advanced" -> "LPSS & SCC Configuration" -> "Secure Erase" that comes in Disabled. The description is "When enabled, all the data on the eMMC will be erased.". I don't dare to activate it for the risk of damaging system and not to be able to recover.

So my question is simple: why can't I recover the disk image created?

Many thanks in advance

Comment

Anyone can lend a hand? How can I make a full backup and restore full backup of eMMC??

Regards

Comment

Yusterlan you can consult the latest posts here in my topic, which I haven't tried out yet. I hope you find the way and share with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Yusterlan View Post
                    Anyone can lend a hand? How can I make a full backup and restore full backup of eMMC??

Regards
                    I think Macrium Reflect will do the trick. And to make a bootable USB drive use the program Rufus.

Comment

Working...
                    X