Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Win10 upgrade: language issue

Hi Freaktabers,

I searched for an answer to my question but can't find any on the forum.
    I have a Pipo X7 with 8.1 bing not modified, except the french language added afterward.
    I used the "MediaCreationTool.exe" tool from MS to try to update from 8.1 to Win10.
    The first 3 parts of the install are in french or english (if I switch): creation of "$Windows.~WS" and "$Windows.~BT", then creation of the ESD folder.
    But after this part everything is back in chinese, when I navigate thru the ESD folder I only have zh-CN language packs everywhere even if I can see that english is declared as the "fallback" language for the install.

I also tried to modify the "wim" but the installer doesn't let me keep my data and programs durng this install because it's not the same language (english or french)

How can I switch to english or french before installing the upgrade and keep my files and programs ?
    Can I try to finalise the install in chinese and put english afterward ?
    Or do I have to use another method (forced to clean install, patch an USB made image etc...).

Thanks in advance

See below.
    Nvidia Shield (2017 & 2019), A95x Max, WD EX2 NAS

Comment

You will be able to install different language packs after the upgrade. I installed UK English and then added US English later.
      Nvidia Shield (2017 & 2019), A95x Max, WD EX2 NAS

Comment

Thanks for the answer cjeman, it's one of my possibility BUT the main and only language is CHINESE.
        If it was English it would have been easier but having all the options in Chinese, passed the creation of the installation media, is hard to handle, even guess:
        I found some screenshots for the win10 version selection, and some other screens but I'll have to change the language in a 100% Chinese version of Windows. Pretty scary ^^

This is why I asked if there is any way to force or add English by patching/adding language in the ESD before launching the update (like in the Finless' English Language Recovery USB Disk)

I put everything in English in Windows 8.1 Bing (Language, Keyboards, Local time etc...) but the second and third part of the Win10 upgrade which are the creation of the install media (win folder and ESD folder) only create "zh-CN" language folders in the media.

Comment

Self UPDATE:
          I manually erased all references to "zh-CN" in the registry, making a full registry backup before, and now my install process is in French.
          I'll let you know here if everything went well.

EDIT: It's Working that way
          Last edited by virusX; 10-15-2015, 16:10. Reason: Update

Comment

this is all really strange... I'd heard so much about it switching to Chinese after the upgrade or if I did a recovery, it would all be in Chinese - even some of the venor websites have how-to guides on how to switch it back from Chinese to English after a recovery.... but multiple after multiple installs, upgrades, roll-backs and a full "firmware" recovery and aside from automated install screens that were in Chinese (no interaction required), it has always been in English.

Comment

Hi,
              The recovery process should be in chinese if you don't patch the recovery image.
              But I just wanted to do an upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Win10 and see if it's still stable to use my X7 as a headless server with all the programs and parameters.

The upgrade process was in english or french at the begining but once the ESD was created it was switched in chinese.
              I succeeded in selecting the "home" version of win10 in chinese but had some other choice to make.
              One of those was the option to keep programs (that was greyed), only personal data or full reset.
              So I didn't pass the finalisation of the install because I wanted to see if I can upgrade in english or french without browsing the parameters in chinese and keep my programs/services.
              Perhaps I should have tried to continue the process but I was a bit freaked out about having a chinese windows system ^^

The only downside of my method is that it took me something like 30 minutes, without any guaranty that it's going to work, and I can't remember all the zh-CN I erased manually.
              cheers mate !

Comment

Working...
              X