Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voyo Mini PC - Recovery media test

Hello all!

I recently bought this nice mini pc and was trying the recovery process after creating a recovery MicroSD from within Windows.
    I struggled a little bit to create the recovery MicroSD because, strangely, windows wouldn't recognize as usable media the microSD plugged in the embedded reader, I had to use an USB microSD reader. Then I had to struggle with the BIOS since there is no way to show a boot menu at startup (F10, F11, F12 and F8 don't work).
    In the boot section of the BIOS I had to enable the Fast Boot option and change the boot order and put first the USB MicroSD reader. Finally I was able to boot from the microSD but all the options were in chinese as you can see here: http://goo.gl/ReUKdL is anyone willing to translate the screenshots so I can try the recovery procedure?

You're probably wondering why I want to restore it, well, beside the fun of testing it, when I first turned it on there was already a user created while usually new pcs go through a configuration process wich usually asks you to login with a Microsoft account, so I want to see if the restore process puts it back to this uncofigured state.

I also tried to boot in the EFI shell and I found quite useful this PDF I found looking for EFI shell commands: http://download.intel.com/support/mo...whitepaper.pdf

If anyone is willing to help me in the translation I could make a step by step guide to recover this cute box in case of problems.

Thank you

Working on Translation ...

i Reposed your images on google plus So maybe some of my friends can help.. But these screens are not Custom to the yoyo and windows 8 uefi recovery disk with be the same. I COULD make a recovery of my laptop and use that to compare if Nobody else has the translation

Originally posted by Kiavik View Post
    Hello all!

I recently bought this nice mini pc and was trying the recovery process after creating a recovery MicroSD from within Windows.
    I struggled a little bit to create the recovery MicroSD because, strangely, windows wouldn't recognize as usable media the microSD plugged in the embedded reader, I had to use an USB microSD reader. Then I had to struggle with the BIOS since there is no way to show a boot menu at startup (F10, F11, F12 and F8 don't work).
    In the boot section of the BIOS I had to enable the Fast Boot option and change the boot order and put first the USB MicroSD reader. Finally I was able to boot from the microSD but all the options were in chinese as you can see here: http://goo.gl/ReUKdL is anyone willing to translate the screenshots so I can try the recovery procedure?

You're probably wondering why I want to restore it, well, beside the fun of testing it, when I first turned it on there was already a user created while usually new pcs go through a configuration process wich usually asks you to login with a Microsoft account, so I want to see if the restore process puts it back to this uncofigured state.

I also tried to boot in the EFI shell and I found quite useful this PDF I found looking for EFI shell commands: http://download.intel.com/support/mo...whitepaper.pdf

If anyone is willing to help me in the translation I could make a step by step guide to recover this cute box in case of problems.

Thank you

Comment

Step by step recovery

Google is the God of all

We could use this..

Comment

Originally posted by erica-renee View Post
        i Reposed your images on google plus So maybe some of my friends can help.. But these screens are not Custom to the yoyo and windows 8 uefi recovery disk with be the same. I COULD make a recovery of my laptop and use that to compare if Nobody else has the translation
        Thank you!
        I'm not sure they are standard because this voyo behave in a strange way, (or maybe it's just the Windows 8 with Bing edition) for instance I couldn't find a way to boot in safe mode, the F8 key didn't work at all, maybe this version of Windows is tailored for tablets...

Comment

Safe mod removed by default

Thank you!
          I'm not sure they are standard because this voyo behave in a strange way, (or maybe it's just the Windows 8 with Bing edition) for instance I couldn't find a way to boot in safe mode, the F8 key didn't work at all, maybe this version of Windows is tailored for tablets...
          To get to safe mod you must click on the bottom icon advanced recovery. from there you click on advanced startup options.
          pc reboots to a start up selection window. then there you select the safe mode you want.

You can Turn safe mode start up back on . There is a Guide on how to do this in the pipo x7 threads..

Comment

Stop the Power button start. A window should appear recovery.
            GK525 My mod rom.

Comment

To get to safe mod you must click on the bottom icon advanced recovery. from there you click on advanced startup options.
              pc reboots to a start up selection window. then there you select the safe mode you want.

You can Turn safe mode start up back on . There is a Guide on how to do this in the pipo x7 threads..
              Thanks again! To tell you the truth now I'm kinda scared to try out the recovery process. I watched this video after a quick search: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm7xY_hviaY which made me think... What if after the cleanup and reinstall of windows it starts up all in chinese? Maybe the reason why there was already a user configured it's because they used it to download and install the English language pack...

Comment

To create all you need you can read all this
                The Pipo is basically the same.

English Language Recovery USB Disk
                treboR
                Please consider
                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Hello all!

Thank you
                  Hope you have sorted it now BUT I was wondering if you could try and install Official OpenELEC? - does this thing have 64bit UEFI? As far as I know you can't dual boot? - perhaps boot software can get round it?

Comment

uefi 64 bit confirmed on this

Originally posted by Iso-playback View Post
                    Hope you have sorted it now BUT I was wondering if you could try and install Official OpenELEC? - does this thing have 64bit UEFI? As far as I know you can't dual boot? - perhaps boot software can get round it?

This does suppoetr 64 bit uefi bios . i found a review of this with ubuntu 64 installed on it. I am Concerned with this box like with the pipo it seems the box above has been bios bricked. BUT From a tear down video i seen it looks as there there is a set of Micro switches on the motherboard. I wish someone that has taken there apart would Check to see if this is true...

I would like to install a fresh copy of windows without the Recovery partition on my box but do NOT at this point want to try anything and wait and see how it works out for others..

If in fact there are Jumpers (mini switch) i would assume one would be bios reset..

Comment

Thanks for that. Bios is bricked ? - do you mean locked down? 64bit UEFI - good so in theory you can install Official OE then reconfigure partition then install 8.1? - forgive me if I'm asking to much from a devicem

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
                        To create all you need you can read all this
                        The Pipo is basically the same.

English Language Recovery USB Disk
                        http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post273063
                        So I managed to replace the boot.wim file to have the english menus, I tried to perform a reset of the PC but at 12% I get the message "There was a problem resetting your pc" and I'm back at the Troubleshoot menu.
                        The reset process seems to have cleared the partitions so I can't boot on Windows but I can still boot from the USB recovery key.
                        The strange thing is that, after the failed reset, when I reboot the pc I get a "A configuration change was requested to clear this computer's TPM.
                        Press F12 or Volume up to clear the TPM.
                        Press ESC or Volume down to reject this change request and continue"
                        but I never configured TPM and this only happens after a failed reset. So far I've always rejected the changes.

Still working to make it work, will keep you posted.

EDIT: Looking for a solution I bumped into this post: http://www.eightforums.com/performan...iscussion.html
                        Take a look at the last post on the 1st page, there is a list of files with extension .swm, I've noticed that in the recovery media created with the Voyo these files are named install.swm1, install.swm2 and install.swm3.
                        These 3 files are the install.wim splitted, I wonder if the reset fails because they need to be named install.swm, install1.swm and install2.swm...

EDIT 2: I tried to rename the .swm1-2-3 files in install.swm, install2.swm and install3.swm and something happened: when resetting the pc instead of staying stuck at 2% for 20min it slowly went to 12%, then jumped to 70% and showed the "There was a problem resetting your pc" message.
                        I checked opening a command prompt with diskpart and all the partitions are created, in the partition where there should be windows there is a dism log file which has an error "lookup in table by path failed for". I need to start learning the dism utility...
                        My guess is that the recovery image is corrupt somehow.
                        Last edited by Kiavik; 03-09-2015, 16:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Iso-playback View Post
                          Thanks for that. Bios is bricked ? - do you mean locked down? 64bit UEFI - good so in theory you can install Official OE then reconfigure partition then install 8.1? - forgive me if I'm asking to much from a devicem
                          I was reading on another forum Forgot exactly where . Someone Confirmed they Wiped the device and installed fresh copy of Ubuntu 64 but had driver issues and went back to win pro 64 bit... it may have been xda.... if i remember correctly...

Comment

if may have to get your hands on a win 8.1 with bing install media and try that. Someone here said it worked but had a driver install issue after... Maybe on the recovery media partion there is a driver folder?

So I managed to replace the boot.wim file to have the english menus, I tried to perform a reset of the PC but at 12% I get the message "There was a problem resetting your pc" and I'm back at the Troubleshoot menu.
                            The reset process seems to have cleared the partitions so I can't boot on Windows but I can still boot from the USB recovery key.
                            The strange thing is that, after the failed reset, when I reboot the pc I get a "A configuration change was requested to clear this computer's TPM.
                            Press F12 or Volume up to clear the TPM.
                            Press ESC or Volume down to reject this change request and continue"
                            but I never configured TPM and this only happens after a failed reset. So far I've always rejected the changes.

Still working to make it work, will keep you posted.

EDIT: Looking for a solution I bumped into this post: http://www.eightforums.com/performan...iscussion.html
                            Take a look at the last post on the 1st page, there is a list of files with extension .swm, I've noticed that in the recovery media created with the Voyo these files are named install.swm1, install.swm2 and install.swm3.
                            These 3 files are the install.wim splitted, I wonder if the reset fails because they need to be named install.swm, install1.swm and install2.swm...

Comment

if may have to get your hands on a win 8.1 with bing install media and try that. Someone here said it worked but had a driver install issue after... Maybe on the recovery media partion there is a driver folder?
                              Just finished the windows setup, now I have windows again but alot of drivers are missing...

Comment

Working...
                              X