VOYO Mini PC Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VOYO Mini PC Impressions

I've had the VOYO Mini PC for a little while and thought I'd share my experiences so far.

I've embedded an unboxing and demo video so you can see it in action below:

The device is incredibly tiny and would easily fit into your bag to use as a portable media player, PC or even retro gaming console.

Windows runs really well on the device, as we have seen with other devices running on the Intel Z3735F. Wireless performance seems to be good too.

The lack of Ethernet is disappointing. However, how much this impacts you really depends on your use case.

I did notice brief power consumption drops after running prime95 for a while so I suspect this could be the device throttling because of heat.

You can read more on my experience here: http://hometheatrelife.com/voyo-mini-pc-impressions/
    Come visit Home Theatre Life for the latest reviews!
    Read the Latest Article: Nexbox A95X Pro Review - Android TV for under $40!

Thanks for the review

I am cannot decide between this device and the MNINX NEO Z64W.
    Any thoughts?

Comment

I don't think that anybody have both devices to compare them...
      but I think the hw is better at MINIX (also heatsink) but less RAM...
      RK3288 Devices
      - Overview BOX (LINK !)
      - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
      UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
      Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
      Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
      Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
        I don't think that anybody have both devices to compare them...
        but I think the hw is better at MINIX (also heatsink) but less RAM...
        I've got both and you are right about the MINIX. The cooling is far better as well as overall performance. RAM is the same but the VOYO has double the storage.

I'd say it depends on what you need. If you have the budget, the MINIX is worth the premium. It even was able to decode Hi10p at a respectable framerate.

The VOYO is ok for basic computing but overheats fast so 3D gaming or more demanding videos (I. E. 1080p60 or 4K H. 264) are hopeless as it throttles down. But it's far cheaper. I'm also testing the Ainol Mini PC currently so keep posted for my review soon if you need something portable.

Comment

Thanks.

The Ainol has an internal battery?!?!? Why would I want that?
          It also has a different processor, Intel Z3735D instead on the VOYO and MINIX's Z3735F.
          There's also the PIPO X7 (not touching another PIPO product) or the Egreat i6 that looks interesting.

Comment

They both use the same processor from memory - Z3735F but the Z3735 family are almost identical performance wise.
            The battery could be useful if you need to charge gadgets. The main thing is that it's roughly the same price as the VOYO but hopefully it's cooling is better

Comment

Originally posted by Darkscythe View Post
              ... RAM is the same but the VOYO has double the storage. ...
              You are right, of course I mean eMMC/NAND and not RAM
              RK3288 Devices
              - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
              Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
              Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
              Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-s View Post
                ... Intel Z3735D instead on the VOYO and MINIX's Z3735F. ...
                Yes, and that's why you get USB 3.0 at the Ainol...
                BTW: the VOYO also have a battery...
                RK3288 Devices
                - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkscythe View Post
                  I'm also testing the Ainol Mini PC currently so keep posted for my review soon if you need something portable.
                  how is your overall impression about the ainol so far?
                  i also bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-s View Post
                    I am cannot decide between this device and the MNINX NEO Z64W.
                    Any thoughts?
                    Last but not least, why don't buy a Z64A, using the BIOS switch and installing an own windows 8.1 at it...
                    RK3288 Devices
                    - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
                      Last but not least, why don't buy a Z64A, using the BIOS switch and installing an own windows 8.1 at it...
                      Cost of windows 8 is 2/3rd the price of the box....

I have had the voyo for i think 3 weeks now Mine works great. But RUN it upside down or at least two inches off the surface of your desk.

Comment

Working...
                      X