Looking for an Android Powered DVR or PVR with OTA input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for an Android Powered DVR or PVR with OTA input

I am looking for a Android powered DVR/PVR that will accept coaxial ATSC input from an OTA antenna. I would like to be able to watch and record one show kind of thing. I have looked around and can't seem to find anything. Does anyone know of a product that loosely meets that need. It can record to externally attached hard drive it does not matter. I know there are some other OTA recorders out there from channel master but are a little pricey. Thanks guys.

Originally posted by benny638 View Post
    I am looking for a Android powered DVR/PVR that will accept coaxial ATSC input from an OTA antenna. I would like to be able to watch and record one show kind of thing. I have looked around and can't seem to find anything. Does anyone know of a product that loosely meets that need. It can record to externally attached hard drive it does not matter. I know there are some other OTA recorders out there from channel master but are a little pricey. Thanks guys.
    I have been looking for that solution for a couple of years myself. I finally have found a partial solution. Right now, I use 2 HDHomeRun dual OTA networked tuners for my TV signal and that feeds my Synology NAS that is running my PVR backend, DVBLogic. It works very well with 14 days of guide data and pause/play and recording function.

Test box courtesy of Oman from Beelink, manufacturer of this Android TV box. Beelink R89 --RK3288 Cortex-A17 Mali-T7 4Kx2K RGMII (Gigabit Ethernet) HDMI2.0....

But, I wanted a solution that did not need an expensive NAS, to do the same thing, since my daughter wanted a similar setup but could not afford a NAS.

JustMe provided the solution, OpenELEC running on my S89H.

OpenELEC has the drivers for my HDHomeRun tuners built in and also the tvheadend server is built in. It was very simple to create the PVR, HOWEVER, I have not been able to get the guide or recording function to work. But this is all new to me.

I have proven that these new Amlogic quad core boxes have more than enough power to be a stand alone PVR. I tested it by running 4 live HD streams on my computer that is feeding from my tvheadend server running on my S89H and playing a SD movie on the S89H at the same time. The live streams or the movie never skipped a beat. I do want to say that all my devices are connected via Ethernet. What I have not been able to verify, is the recording function to an external hard drive. Some people think USB 2 may not be fast enough for recording live streams.

There is not much help on the internet about tvheadend running on OpenELEC.

Here is what I have achieved so far.

By installing OpenELEC on my Tronsmart Vega S89H with tvheadend server and drivers for HDHomeRun Dual OT tuners included, it was very simple to create a PVR ...
    MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I built a windows media center a few years ago and its working pretty good. It has two avermedia ASTC tuners but its a little on the big side and uses more power than it should. I am like you I know that these android mini pc's have the power. I did find this

China-1 Stock | Buy Geniatech MyGica ATV1220T2 XBMC Android TV BOX Built-in DVB-T2 1G RAM 4G ROM Amlogic 8726-MX Dual Core - Black online at unbeatable prices. ✓Free Shipping ✓Limited Time Sale ✓Local Warehouses.

There is a version floating around with a coaxial input instead of the RF.

This guy (see below) on facebook
      Melde dich bei Facebook an, um dich mit deinen Freunden, deiner Familie und Personen, die du kennst, zu verbinden und Inhalte zu teilen.

posted some pics from CES of a device called enjoy.tv and I have also found a device made my silicon dust called simple.tv 2 which the reviews have been mixed.

Comment

Originally posted by benny638 View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I built a windows media center a few years ago and its working pretty good. It has two avermedia ASTC tuners but its a little on the big side and uses more power than it should. I am like you I know that these android mini pc's have the power. I did find this

China-1 Stock | Buy Geniatech MyGica ATV1220T2 XBMC Android TV BOX Built-in DVB-T2 1G RAM 4G ROM Amlogic 8726-MX Dual Core - Black online at unbeatable prices. ✓Free Shipping ✓Limited Time Sale ✓Local Warehouses.

There is a version floating around with a coaxial input instead of the RF.

This guy (see below) on facebook
        Melde dich bei Facebook an, um dich mit deinen Freunden, deiner Familie und Personen, die du kennst, zu verbinden und Inhalte zu teilen.

posted some pics from CES of a device called enjoy.tv and I have also found a device made my silicon dust called simple.tv 2 which the reviews have been mixed.
        I purchased this Geniatech Android box about a year ago for my daughter, it was a very nice box. The only problem was that it only had one tuner, and could not get a PVR function to work with it.

MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Someone makes a USB adapter with android support.. Should work with any newer android device that has a USB port, even on a phone with an OTG USB adapter. I think there is DVR function. I know for sure you can watch live.

Forgot the brand, just search USB android atsc or dvb whatever tv standard for your location.

Cheers,
          -SB
          ---------------------------------------
          Currently using U-BOX R89 with mo123 v1.6.
          Other android tv device - ADT-1 running latest PureNexus 6.0.1 MM and very impressed with the changes vs stock molly!
          Pipo M9S -- CrewRKTab custom rooted 4.4.2
          RCA Viking Pro 10 -- Custom stock rooted 5.1 by me <- FOR SALE
          ----------- ROM by me, the first way to update ZTE Force 4G from ICS to JB http://androidforums.com/threads/fin...om-ics.886408/

Comment

I appreciate everyones input. Seem like the hardware just isn't there yet. :-(

Comment

Personally, I use an stb 3500ii for PVR. Works well and cheap, plus it works on free ota plus clear QAM for cable. Then I have this thing called a monster otg cloud hooked up between my hard drive and the 3500ii.

When the otg cloud is powered off, it works as a hub/SD card reader.

When it's powered on, it acts as a wireless NAS and shares the drives connected, also it can be used as a Wi-Fi repeater or router(tiny little thing that runs Linux).

At the flick of a switch I can share any recordings I make all over the house. On my android tv box I can add it as a samba share in XBMC and stream the .mts files from the hard drive directly.

It works pretty well, and I like it. Only problem is, it won't stream live video, only recorded, bc when it's on it closes the connection to the DVR so that the Linux OS inside can get a lock on the filesystem of the disks connected.

If I could figure out a way to make it act as both file server and hub, then I could stream the mts files that it creates in time shift mode and stream live, but I don't think it's gonna happen. Mounting on Linux is designed to provide access to one computer(why it locks) not two. Makes sence because if two devices are equally connected but unaware of each other corruption could easily become a problem. It's not a SAN.

Cheers,
              -SB
              ---------------------------------------
              Currently using U-BOX R89 with mo123 v1.6.
              Other android tv device - ADT-1 running latest PureNexus 6.0.1 MM and very impressed with the changes vs stock molly!
              Pipo M9S -- CrewRKTab custom rooted 4.4.2
              RCA Viking Pro 10 -- Custom stock rooted 5.1 by me <- FOR SALE
              ----------- ROM by me, the first way to update ZTE Force 4G from ICS to JB http://androidforums.com/threads/fin...om-ics.886408/

Comment

Working...
              X