Archos Video Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archos Video Player

Just noticed Archos has released the video player for their tablets on the Play store. I'm about to pick it up and will report back after I've had a chance to try it out.

It looks to have a really nice UI, claims to have HW acceleration and supports playback from USB/SMB/UPnP sources. Yea, XBMC is free, but it's not without it's bugs and quirkiness.

Well, there's good news and there's bad news.

The good: The app has a really nice, clean, slick and speedy UI. Not quite as feature packed as XBMC, but if streaming videos/movies from web sources isn't important, to me at least, this looks like a better/cleaner/simpler option to play from one's own media collection than XBMC. It still has a few bugs and there's a feature or two it could stand to have, but otherwise, I really like it.

The bad: It can't be installed from the Play store on our devices - unsupported, at least that's what my 802-iii running Finless 1.7 reports. I've been playing with it on a Nook tablet. Going to see if I can get it side-loaded onto the 802.

Anyway, personally, I really like it. I suppose $5 is on the expensive side when it comes to apps, but to me, if it serves a useful purpose and looks good, $5 is a pretty easy sell. There are times when I'd happily pay more for less (this compared to XBMC for free) if that less was a simpler overall solution. YMMV, but to me, this is one of those times.

Comment

I bought the app, but i can not back it up with es file explorer. Do any of you have a link to the apk ? Looks really good and it finds metadata in a flash.

Comment

Re: Archos Video Player

Originally posted by hegg View Post
        I bought the app, but i can not back it up with es file explorer. Do any of you have a link to the apk ? Looks really good and it finds metadata in a flash.
        Check your inbox. Sent a link to u.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Yea, it won't install from the market, and I think the encryption on the .aesc app files prevents it from being backed up from one device and restored onto another. But I was able to download it on an 4.0 (ICS) rom, backup the apk, and then sideload it onto the MK802.

As I said, it has a few bugs, but overall, I really like it. Automatically getting cover art and all the meta data is nice... and quick, and the library display options - carrousel, list, thumbnails, etc. is nice.

Comment

I like the interface. Some videos are not working (very rare). SMB is not as good as es file explorer but good enough for 720p videos. It is not necessary to buy the plug in for ac3. There is a free app on the market with all archos codecs

Comment

I bought the app

Comment

Working...
              X