Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to a finless on the gk802?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to a finless on the gk802?

Hey bob! what ever happened on the gk802 development front? i myself am now workin on a gk802..just soldered in my uart lines and changed to modified uboot with 5 second delay for fastboot entry..still workin on the kernel config tho, but i see that there has been progress on the gk802 ubuntu front...any luck with some 4.1 jb finless action?

I have played with it a little but not enough to have a ROM yet. Once I get done with my latest ROMs I will dive into it again.

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Cool!

Bob,
      I would like to see a Finless for this one also When you start looking at it again, here is some "wierdness" that I see currently with mine that might need to be addressed in the firmware you have:

1) Blue tooth works "oddly" That is, you can pair with a device (such as a keyboard) but then the device disconnects in about 3 minutes. Only way to reconnect is to un-pair and rediscover device. (Not so on the iMito MX1 with your finless )

2)Trying to utilize Microsoft "USB combos" (Keyboard and mouse on same USB dongle) does strange things such as:
      a) Plugging in the dongle with the GK802 running - no device detected.
      b) Plug dongle in with GK802 powered off, but mouse powered ON - mouse detected, but only Home key and calculator key work on keyboard.
      c) Plug dongle in with GK802 powered off, mouse powered OFF, turn on GK802 while plunking away at the keyboard results in keyboard detected but no mouse!
      e) Do c) above but with mouse power on and clicking mouse button too results in mouse working, but whatever key you were pressing being infinitely repeated by GK802.
      Note none of this happens with the iMito MX1. Your finless works with the devices the instant you plug the USB dongle in
      The keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless 2000 combon

Not

Comment

Originally posted by guydroid208 View Post
        Bob,
        I would like to see a Finless for this one also When you start looking at it again, here is some "wierdness" that I see currently with mine that might need to be addressed in the firmware you have:

1) Blue tooth works "oddly" That is, you can pair with a device (such as a keyboard) but then the device disconnects in about 3 minutes. Only way to reconnect is to un-pair and rediscover device. (Not so on the iMito MX1 with your finless )

2)Trying to utilize Microsoft "USB combos" (Keyboard and mouse on same USB dongle) does strange things such as:
        a) Plugging in the dongle with the GK802 running - no device detected.
        b) Plug dongle in with GK802 powered off, but mouse powered ON - mouse detected, but only Home key and calculator key work on keyboard.
        c) Plug dongle in with GK802 powered off, mouse powered OFF, turn on GK802 while plunking away at the keyboard results in keyboard detected but no mouse!
        e) Do c) above but with mouse power on and clicking mouse button too results in mouse working, but whatever key you were pressing being infinitely repeated by GK802.
        Note none of this happens with the iMito MX1. Your finless works with the devices the instant you plug the USB dongle in
        The keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless 2000 combon

Not
        I have observed the same behavior with bluetooth, makes it pointless to have, also cannot sync with a ps3 controller without a kernel recompile. once again, pointless to have bluetooth.

I also notice that while the cpu is downclocked from its standard setting of 1200mhz, the gpu is severely affected by this, especially when running at 1080p. the android interface becomes choppy and 3d performance in general is very lackluster despite being a quad gpu / ipu and quad cpu. is this just bad driver optimizations for the vivante gc2000? i have gotten a kensington POWERED usb hub to work with this stick tho, which is helpful for usb harddrives. other powered hubs dont work tho, so far just this one.. antutu benchmarks for a gk802 measure about half that of a hard kernel odroid x2 (samsung quad exynos4412 w/ mali400mp quad).

Comment

I will be honest here guys... I have not found performance as a TV stick very good on this thing.
          It needs a lot of work in my opinion. I know ArmTVtech gave it good reviews but I just am not seeing it.
          Seems most people with these have gone to a linux install and XBMC.

ANyway, I think the Android kernel is probably going to need a lot of work and that is just not my best area.

Bob

Comment

Zealz Review...

Hey Bob, did a mini review as well - hope that the kernel gets sorted out and we can unleash this stick!! :P

www.minitvstick.com
            Sticking it to the Big PC!

Comment

Bob I still have faith in you either way As a developer I wish I knew how I could help.

Grindy, I noticed this too about the PS3 controller. For what its worth, I have also found that a powered Belkin hub works with the GK802 as well.

On the positive side, I do like how the youtube app and the plex app work on the GK802. Plex runs circles around my old Roku.

Comment

Originally posted by minitvstick View Post
                Hey Bob, did a mini review as well - hope that the kernel gets sorted out and we can unleash this stick!! :P

Dude... that intro is a crack up!!!!

Loved it!

Bob

Comment

One performance tip

FYI, one performance tip for you all.

This unit does not have onchip fast NAND. In fact inside the unit is a Micro SD card that is used for NAND memory. In my unit came a really cheap "unclassed" Micro SD card. If you but say a Class 10 Micro SD card and replace it in the unit, not only can you get more internal NAND memory but also much faster!

Be careful! Inside the holder for the internal micro SD card is like a SIM card holder. At first it might seem hard to remove it. But look carefully and you will see how the holder flips open to remove the SD card.

Bob

Comment

Bob,

Excellant tip! Thats actually how I load my rooted firmware (by pulling the card out). I actually have a class 10 16 gig card on the way But question:

What is the best way to resize the partition(s) and which ones need to be resized to, for example, get more storage?

I have been poking around looking for info on this subject, specifically when one has a Windows OS. Is there a thread that covers this (for windows) here on the forum? I haven't set up my Ubuntu dev box yet to start poking around with the OS yet, thats why I ask......

Comment

I think there are some applications you can get for windows to support EXT file system. I do not use them.

As for setting up Ubuntu, just get Virtual Box and setup a VM that runs Ubuntu inside Windows. You can then pass the USB connected SDcard to Ubuntu and partition away to your hearts desire

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                        I think there are some applications you can get for windows to support EXT file system. I do not use them.

As for setting up Ubuntu, just get Virtual Box and setup a VM that runs Ubuntu inside Windows. You can then pass the USB connected SDcard to Ubuntu and partition away to your hearts desire

Bob
                        i replaced my internal sd with a sandisk class 10 uhs1 16gb card. top notch without errors. but it still gets chokey at 1080p. 720p is pretty good but still scores low on antutu compared to my exynos4412 quad or even my ug802 with finless 1.7

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                          Dude... that intro is a crack up!!!!

Loved it!

Bob
                          Glad you enjoyed it Was fun making the thing!

I always loved the babel fish animation in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy... one day...
                          www.minitvstick.com
                          Sticking it to the Big PC!

Comment

Working...
                          X