Nvidia Shield TV Box need Feedback Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia Shield TV Box need Feedback Please

Hey guys any owners of the Nvidia Shield 4K TV Box? I need some feedback since I'm planning on ordering one pretty soon.

Does it really handle 4K video at 60Hz?

Does it play Netflix at the 4K without stuttering?

Does it play Youtube at 4K without Stuttering?

Does it work great with apps like Sling TV, DirecTV or Xfinity TV Go app without stuttering?

Does it play any video on Kodi without stuttering?

If it stutters on 4K content, does it stutter at all on 1080P content? So far I have not been able to get stutter free 1080P playback on any Android Box on the apps mentioned above.

Are there custom roms with root for it out yet?

Also I'm not planning on using it for gaming, would the 16GB version be enough for my streaming needs or is the 500GB version recommended?
    Last edited by saulin; 11-25-2015, 18:11.

Hi saulin, the best answer you can have, is no current device is able to do better than the shield TV.

It's Nvidia, therefore with a certain followed update.
    Regarding the video in 4K, this works well.
    In streaming, it depends on your internet connection.
    youtube 4K, for me, it is only upscale max 1080P (without stuttering), it may be possible with video 4K, but I do not know how.
    netflix 4K, yes it depends on your internet connection.
    this is the best (BOX TV) for KODI (wow, really the best).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I installed ROM CUSTOM zulu99 2.2.

GOOD :

- La shield TV Works very well
    - ROOT, ok
    - All apps APK android, It Works.
    - March Tronsmart G01 gamepad, Works very well
    - Logitech Wireless Desktop K400, Works very well

NO GOOD :

- gamepad and remote of shield TV, It does not work.
    - Netflix natif, It does not work. ( you have to test other Version )
    - OTA

Now, I reinstalled, the ROM STOCK 2.1 (official), with the TWRP and the ROOT.

Works very well, but :

many apps APK android, does not work.

It is possible to have, all apps compatible ?

thank you in advance for any replies.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Links :

LAST ROM STOCK OFFICIAL : https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload#?search=SHIELD%20ANDROID%20TV%20 Recovery&tx=$additional,shield
    LAST ROM STOCK CUSTOM 2.2 (thank you zulu99) and install tuto : http://forum.xda-developers.com/shie...t/rom-t3138575
    LAST [RECOVERY] TWRP 2.8.6.0 for Shield TV (thank you Steel01) : http://forum.xda-developers.com/shie...iants-t3140926
    ROOT : http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu

Why, there is no subject "nvidia shield TV", in this site, is really surprising.
    The price is cheap, compared to the Chinese product and a great potential.

Comment

Mmmm so with the official firmware it fails to load some APKs that may load on other Chinese Android Boxes?

That's not cool. I was hopping to load a lot of streaming apps even if they are not on the Store for the Nvidia Shield.

These are the ones I use the most

Netflix
      YouTube
      Xfinity TV Go
      DirecTV
      Starz Play
      Encore Play
      HBO Go
      Sho Anytime
      Max Go
      Sky Movies
      Telemundo Now
      Dish Anywhere
      Kodi
      Sling TV

I don't know if all of these are available for the Shield so I was hoping to just load the APKs and that they would work.

Comment

Hi, sorry I misspoke, with google play, there are apps that do not.

I tested your apps, but I am not registered on sites, just watch video tour, is ok.

Netflix = OK
        YouTube = OK
        Xfinity TV Go = OK
        DirecTV = OK
        Starz Play = OK
        Encore Play = OK
        HBO Go = OK
        Sho Anytime = OK
        Max Go = OK
        Sky Movies = OK
        Telemundo Now = does not work (can be tested another version)
        Dish Anywhere = OK
        Kodi = OK
        Sling TV = OK

Comment

Originally posted by Moulin1980 View Post
          Hi, sorry I misspoke, with google play, there are apps that do not.

I tested your apps, but I am not registered on sites, just watch video tour, is ok.

Netflix = OK
          YouTube = OK
          Xfinity TV Go = OK
          DirecTV = OK
          Starz Play = OK
          Encore Play = OK
          HBO Go = OK
          Sho Anytime = OK
          Max Go = OK
          Sky Movies = OK
          Telemundo Now = does not work (can be tested another version)
          Dish Anywhere = OK
          Kodi = OK
          Sling TV = OK
          I ended up ordering a Nvidia Shield TV Box. So all those apps install and launch ok?

Whats the problem with Telemundo Now? Fails to install or fails to open?

Comment

all those apps install and launch, is ok

Telemundo Now, no install ( maybe apk is damaged ).

Comment

all those apps install and launch, is ok

Telemundo Now, no install ( maybe apk is damaged ).

I highly doubt it but maybe try getting it here and let me know if this one installs.

Code:
              https://apkpure.com/telemundo-now/com.telemundo.awe

Comment

I've owned the shield tv for a week now and I can safely say. This is the best media player, tv box you can get. Some apps won't show up on the play store as only select apps are on the store through the shield. However, you can sideload apps and they all work perfectly.

No, micro stutters, no crappy firmware releases, the best support you can find on an android tv box. The only flaw is you can't use a custom launcher without rooting. If you don't care about that...then you're golden.

Anyone who says android tv boxes have issues, they are wrong...The shield proves it. If you have the budget for it...don't hesitate, it's the best out there.

generic Chinese boxes give android tv a bad name..

Comment

Actually you can use everything in your playstore. Just install custom rom by Droid mode it's on xda site. Gives you full andriod and with a little learning to do adb. It's fast and if we all push Nvidia to help support it with Droid mode. They may provide drives for some hardware needed.
                  Regards
                  Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by theeze View Post
                    I've owned the shield tv for a week now and I can safely say. This is the best media player, tv box you can get. Some apps won't show up on the play store as only select apps are on the store through the shield. However, you can sideload apps and they all work perfectly.

No, micro stutters, no crappy firmware releases, the best support you can find on an android tv box. The only flaw is you can't use a custom launcher without rooting. If you don't care about that...then you're golden.

Anyone who says android tv boxes have issues, they are wrong...The shield proves it. If you have the budget for it...don't hesitate, it's the best out there.

generic Chinese boxes give android tv a bad name..
                    I posted in another thread here that 3 days ago i was one click away from purchasing the shield then i changed my mind and decided to investigate about it first then
                    to my shock i found this link:
                    https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-evaluation/1/

I have no stomach for bad image quality especially banding so i immediately changed my mind and decided to stay away
                    But now i don't know , sometimes people do exaggerate a little another time they have their tv sets adjusted to the wrong black level which causes wrong brightness
                    And banding , can you please inform us about the image quality ?
                    Do you notice the banding problem the forum in the link above is referring to or does the image look washed out ?

Comment

finally,I received refund of the "tv shield nvidia" and get my money.

it's a good machine, but I'm going back to my first idea,
                      a good player mini pc, i3/i5 intel or AMD (3 840 × 2 160), with a emulator (bluestacks and amiduos).

Anyone know a good mini pc quality / price?

Comment

The Shield is the best Android TV box period, especially for the price now, Amazon had it along with the remote for $150! I paid more for my Minix X8-H and mind you that was without the plus version. Amazing device that is way ahead of its time, till Shield 2 comes out, there will be nothing more powerful.

Comment

finally,I received refund of the "tv shield nvidia" and get my money.

it's a good machine, but I'm going back to my first idea,
                          a good player mini pc, i3/i5 intel or AMD (3 840 × 2 160), with a emulator (bluestacks and amiduos).

Anyone know a good mini pc quality / price?

You mentioned before that shield is the best kodi box , so what made you change your mind ? i am on the fence of getting one but worried about the picture quality

Comment

Originally posted by opengl1971 View Post

You mentioned before that shield is the best kodi box , so what made you change your mind ? i am on the fence of getting one but worried about the picture quality

Yeah, I have no idea what changed his mind. It's the best BOX ever....*2 days later* I got a refund. lol

You can always get a refund if you don't like it. I personally haven't really paid attention to that issue you brought up. Although it does seem to exist and nvidia is aware of it, so it will be fixed in one of the future firmware updates.

I still have no regrets and I'd still recommend it if you're looking for currently the best android box on the market.

Comment

I confirm, for the price, it is the best, but it is too focused on games, for me.

Also, I forestay curious to test the shield tv.

what I would like is a multi platform solution ( windows + android + ...)

I am hesitating between :

Mini pc ( dual os, windows & android) with cherry trail z8500

or

Mini pc skylake intel ( i3 or i5 ), to be quiet, with bluestacks/amiduos or Astoria project & Islandwood, if the project is still current.

Pardon me, if I, misspoke.

Comment

Working...
                              X