Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Nvidia Shield TV w/ Android TV passes through FCC with an updated chipset (July 2019)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Nvidia Shield TV w/ Android TV passes through FCC with an updated chipset (July 2019)

In the Android TV world, the Nvidia Shield TV is still by far the best option available. However, the aging hardware is due for an upgrade. Today, an FCC listing for an updated Nvidia Shield TV has been revealed, hinting that a release could be around the corner.

The FCC filing which is clearly labeled as ?NVIDIA Corporation SHIELD Android TV Game Console P3430″ gives us a strong hint that Nvidia?s work on a third-generation Android TV is well underway. No images of the hardware are revealed in this listing, but there?s additional confirmation of an updated chipset under the hood.

The Nvidia-made Tegra processor under the hood is listed as the ?Tegra X1 T210 B01,? differing from the ?Tegra X1 A2? which is used in the 2017 Nvidia Shield TV (via CordCuttersNews). It?s unclear what other changes could be made to the specification list, but an updated processor is certainly a welcome update.

In past leaks, it was shown that this new Nvidia Shield TV, codenamed ?mdarcy? is probably going to be a minor update. Android Pie would ship with the new hardware out of the box, and updated peripherals might also be included. Given the complaints surrounding the remote on the second-generation Shield, updates in that department would certainly be welcome.

It?s unclear when Nvidia might officially reveal a new Shield TV, but the 2017 reveal arrived at CES in January. Perhaps the same pattern will follow for a 2020 revision. Notably, the confidential details of the FCC listing are to be kept for 180 days, so it seems possible that the official announcement is still a ways out.

Source: https://9to5google.com/2019/07/25/nv...v-fcc-listing/

treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Photo by Dan Seifert / The Verge

A new Nvidia Shield TV model is on the way, according to a listing at the FCC. The product is referred to as the ?NVIDIA Corporation SHIELD Android TV Game Console P3430,? and has a Tegra X1 T210 B01 processor. That is, in all likelihood, the same Tegra X1 revision found in the new Nintendo Switch Lite as well as the updated Switch with longer battery life.

The filing comes after evidence of a new Shield TV variant appeared on the Google Play developer console last month. Not much else is known about what the new model will entail, or when it will be released. But the likely die-shrunk Tegra chip should mean it could be smaller, more power-efficient, or capable of running at higher clock speeds ? or possibly some combination of the three.

treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

More Shield Rumours

Nvidia will be bringing two new Shield TV devices to market, hopefully later this year

We have heard new Nvidia Shield TV rumours for a while and today those rumours have split in two with a possibility that they will be bringing two different form factor Android TV devices to the marketplace.

Recently Nvidia released the Shield Experience 8.0 update to their current Shield TV devices and within the code for it there is mention of not just the long-rumoured ?mdarcy? Android TV device but also a ?sif?. The difference between the two is that ?sif? appears to lack a TV tuner and USB support but offers an SD card slot giving rise to the thought that is is an Android TV dongle.

The new Shield TV Remote (P3700) is now on FCC website. OEM: Remote Solution.https://fccid.io/TX4-P3700

Also the 2017 model (P2897) has new Exhibits.https://fccid.io/VOB-P2897

P3430 is probably a Shield TV Dongle (compare the 2 pics) & the 2017 model is getting the new processor.
      View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

The folks at XDA Developers were able to delve into the Shield Experience 8.0 code where they found ?sif? and ?mdarcy? associated with ?darcy? and ?foster?, the 2015 and 2017 Shield TV models. XDA suspect that due to the lack of mentions for ?sif? elsewhere we will see that after the launch of the new Shield TV, ?mdarcy?.

It is of course all speculation and Nvidia have cancelled devices at the last minute before so there is no guarantee that both of these will see the light of day. We do expect the ?mdarcy? Shield TV to launch later this year due to the volume of rumours and leaks we are seeing of it but the ?sif? Android TV dongle is another story.

Whatever the case it is great to see Nvidia finally following up their Shield TV which is in my opinion the best Android TV experience bar none. You can be sure we will see it land in Australia not long after its release.

Source:
      https://ausdroid.net/2019/08/06/nvid...ter-this-year/
      treboR
      Please consider
      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

I have the Nvidia shield pro.500gig.it is just alittle over a year old...the new android 9 is awesome the best and fastest android box i ever owned

Comment

What 'aging hardware'?

It's still the best and fastest Android TV box in the market.
          Last edited by Molle; 08-21-2019, 11:54.
          NVidia Shield TV 2015 16 GB || Stock
          NVidia Shield TV 2017 16 GB || Stock
          Buy me a beer?

Comment

Nvidia Shield TV Pro shows up on Amazon with a Tegra X1+ chipset and a new remote

Nvidia has done a good job of supporting its Shield set-top TV box with software updates, but it's been a couple of years since the hardware has been refreshed.
            The current model was released in 2017, but it looks like it's set to receive a successor soon, according to a now-deleted Amazon listing (via 9to5Google).
            According to the listing, it will be called the Shield TV Pro, which shouldn't be confused with the existing Shield TV Pro,
            a variant of the current model that comes with a 500GB HDD and a Shield controller.

Regarding the TV box itself, there doesn't seem to be a ton of changes, with the same two USB ports, Ethernet port, and an HDMI port to connect to a TV.
            The processor will be upgraded though, with an Nvidia Tegra X1+, which is promised to be 25% faster than the original X1 on the previous Shield,
            and it'll support Dolby Vision HDR. It still comes with 16GB of internet storage and 3GB of RAM.
            The biggest changes are to the remote, which is no longer going to be a thin slab, but instead it will use an intriguing triangular prism design.
            he new controller also has a microphone button to use the Google Assistant, as well as one button just to open Netflix.
            There also seems to be a new feature to help find the remote.

Prior to being deleted, the listing suggested the Shield TV Pro would be released on October 28, so we may not have long to wait for Nvidia to make an official announcement. It costs $199, which is $20 more than the current model. It's also worth noting that the current model is sold out on Nvidia's website, which may have to do with the upcoming launch.

Source:
            Nvidia seems to be gearing up to release a new refresh of the Shield TV, called the Shield TV Pro. According to an Amazon listing, it'll have an upgraded chipset and start at $199.

treboR
            Please consider
            Donating to Freaktab

Comment

So it's alive they tell me...

Nvidia
              treboR
              Please consider
              Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Hi ,

maybe better to wait and invest a little bit more for a good Box , maybe my next Box , better then

a GT KING ,

greetings / gefattern

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
                  So it's alive they tell me...

Nvidia
                  Yep, I received something like the picture you posted in my email yesterday. It said $149 (USD) for the base model. dont know if its for limited time or not?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Niv Shield.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	787381

Comment

I really like the look of the new console from Nvidia, its design looks great. I use video cards from this company and I seem to be satisfied with their stability and their performance. I can say that I really like Nvidia as a company, and every day I look through the technical blog https://www.roboticsimulationservices.com/blog/ for the appearance of news, and I saw that there is a new set-top box from Nvidia for the TV. I mostly use the TV to watch movie services, but my old set-top box broke down and I'm looking for a replacement. And this product from Nvidia looks very nice and delicious.
                    Last edited by Fany2021; 02-27-2021, 23:20.

Comment

It depend what you are looking for...

If its gaming then yes.. the are quite good at cloud- gaming / emulation / android games

If its IPTV / kodi / streaming / netflex / prime/ youtube / ect...then yes

But note : its running Android Tv ... aka not the same android version your tablet/phone runs
                      This means..Google play will not show all the apps that are available on your tablet/phone
                      only apps that are android TV compatible are on Google play

note2 : if you are only after a good streamer...Netflix/prime/Disney then a amazon TV stick is cheaper alternative

note3...on YouTube are some good about nvidia shield tv reviews...like from "Eta prime"

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X