[Wifi-MOD] UG802 Wifi Antenna Mod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Wifi-MOD] UG802 Wifi Antenna Mod.

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums (but not android) and I thought that I'd just share my current mod that I have, so that you guys can try it out too, if you have stable hands and patience. By working this hardware mod, I get about 10-15 dBi better signals, at some points even outmatching my Galaxy Note 2 in signal strength at the same distance. The mod is actually quite a simple one

I purchased a U.FL SMD connector through ****, and a Nintendo DS Wifi Antenna from DX.com
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	438395

Desoldered the Original antenna (Which actually looks pretty damn pathetic) and soldered on the new U.FL connector, and attached the Nintendo DS WiFi Antenna...

Name:	Image00003.jpg
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	438396

Name:	Image00001.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	438394

And Voila. That's pretty much it at this same distance, my UG802 would pull 1 Bar to 2 Bars of Signal Max, but with this mod, I'm sitting at a Good Full Bar, fluctuating sometimes down to two. Using Wifi Analyser, I compared with my older results (I don't have a screenshot of before signals) and I got about 10-15 dbi of improvement

Name:	20130516161444473.jpg
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	438393

So yeah, it's not a costly mod, though it may require some steady hands and patience, as soldering that U.FL SMD in requires you soldering points 0.5mm and lower in size. Certainly worthwhile though!

I hope some of you guys find this mod helpful

Nice mod, and I show mine.

My iMito MX2 with aluminium heatsink and 5 dBi omni antenna conected to RP SMA/90°

Comment

Very nice. How're the difference in signals, and how much does the larger heatsinks help? I opted for something a bit more smaller but with big advantages, so that I did not have an antenna sticking out of it.

As for cooling, I'm only using smaller copper heatsinks as well

Comment

Well, before the modification of the antenna I had a reception of about 70% and with this antenna now I have almost 90%.

I can see that your copper sinks have placed on the Nand, and I think, and I touched that module is not so hot.

I have put this sink in my SoC because I felt that the heat generated is high in stressful applications like Dead Trigguer.

Sorry for my english...

Regards!

Comment

very nice.

I have my copper heatsinks on both sides, on the NAND and SOC, which is on the other side. I try to distribute heat where I can

Comment

Working...
          X