iMito MX1 SD Card Partitioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iMito MX1 SD Card Partitioning

My iMito MX1 purchased from geekbuying arrived today in about 2.5 days via DHL Express. Many thanks to Jilly at GB customer support for hustling the order through. So far I've gotten the powered hub, usb wired Ethernet and 1tb usb hard drive connected without any problems. I'm waiting for the usb sound card to arrive.

The only problem I am having is SD card is not recognized. In doing my research I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the SD card needs to be partitioned in a particular manner. If "geekbuying" or someone could detail the process for me I'd appreciate it.

It appears that the MX1 with the stock ROM is not recognizing my "SanDisk 32 GB Mobile microSDHC Flash Memory Card SDSDQ-032G-AFFP". This card has been reviewed by users as working well with Android devices, so Im pretty sure my problem is my lack of Android knowledge.

Also does Android have a "Safely Remove USB Drive/SD Card" function or app? I read someplace that this is needed if all apps are closed. Is their a "Close All" command? I've worked with computers for over 30 years, but this my first rodeo with Android, so please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks

Regarding safe disconnect of external sd-card.
    Your external sd-card will be present in settings, storage there you can unmount it for a safe disconnect. For USB drives i'm not sure.

Comment

Thanks. I did stumble upon that, however its is grayed out because Android can't see my SD card yet. Android does see my USB HD, but don't I see an equivalent unmount function for the hard drive. After installing several Apps the Play Store stopped connecting. I resolved that uninstalling a couple of the Apps and it started working again after a couple of reboots. Its certainly a learning experience.

Originally posted by qsecofr View Post
      Regarding safe disconnect of external sd-card.
      Your external sd-card will be present in settings, storage there you can unmount it for a safe disconnect. For USB drives i'm not sure.

Comment

Plug your SDcard into your PC and make sure it is not corrupted.

See here... Very common problem and how to fix it.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...Understand-WHY!

Bob
        "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
        "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
        "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
        "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
        "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
        "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
        "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
        "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
        "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Thanks, your instructions link will be very useful.

Do I need a physical microSDHC reader on a Windows box or can I accomplish this with the sd card plugged into the MX1 and the MX1 plugged into Windows via usb? I ask this because I do not have a physical microSDHC card reader to test the card in that manner at the moment. I haven't connected MX1 to Windows yet, as I just received it yesterday. If I corrupted it, it was without the help of Windows.

I suppose I'll find out when I root the device tomorrow.

Originally posted by Finless View Post
          Plug your SDcard into your PC and make sure it is not corrupted.

See here... Very common problem and how to fix it.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...Understand-WHY!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daytpn56 View Post
            Thanks, your instructions link will be very useful.

Do I need a physical microSDHC reader on a Windows box or can I accomplish this with the sd card plugged into the MX1 and the MX1 plugged into Windows via usb? I ask this because I do not have a physical microSDHC card reader to test the card in that manner at the moment. I haven't connected MX1 to Windows yet, as I just received it yesterday. If I corrupted it, it was without the help of Windows.

I suppose I'll find out when I root the device tomorrow.
            Yes you can. Either way once Windows sees it as a removable drive, you can do the tools check disk thing in Windows. So either way works.

Bob

Comment

I rooted the MX1 without any problems. I received my usb sound card and it works as expected.

I can see the 8gb internal memory in Windows/MyComputer, but I still cannot see the 32gb SD card in Android or Windows. I ordered a usb reader for the SD card, so I will see if that works, if not I will return it. I've had no trouble reading usb memory sticks or HDs. I've taken the SD card in and out dozens of times, so I'm pretty confident it is not how I'm inserting the card. The notch is on the right and the contacts are facing down.

I'm open to any and all suggestions on how to get the SD card recognized. I'm generally quite pleased the with the MX1 stock ROM that shipped with the device, everything else seems to work as it should.

Yes you can. Either way once Windows sees it as a removable drive, you can do the tools check disk thing in Windows. So either way works.

Bob
              Last edited by Daytpn56; 11-19-2012, 23:55.

Comment

One thing you need to do whern using the sdcard to windows from the MX1

1) Go into storage settings and at the top right are 3 vertical dots. Click this and select USB settings. CHange it from MTP device to Mass Storage.
                2) No go turn on USB.
                If you don;t do this the sdcard wont shows as a removable drive.

Now you should see 2 removable drives show up now. Internal sd and external. If not then you maybe right and something is wrong with the unit.

Bob

Comment

1) I changed MTL to Mass Storage in it's setup and rebooted several times. Under sd card it still says Mount Storage and to insert the storage device, however it is grayed out and not clickable.

2) I couldn't find where to turn on USB. I have 2 usb storage devices connected and they can be seen by Explorer, but not under >Setup>Storage.

So I'll be waiting for the reader.

--------------------
                  Base on the link below, I plugged a USB memory stick into the OTG port attempting to have it recognized as the SD card. http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/576...ml#post4610455 It didn't work. Not only was the USB stick card not seen as an SD card, it was not seen by Explorer when plugged into the OTG port?

Is their a way to force Android to reference a USB memory stick as the SD card? If I could do that I would consider it problem solved for my intended purpose. Does an App exist that could do this?

Or would require something like the link below to work? http://www.keyables.com/2011/12/inst...86-40-ice.html I'd much rather have my external SD card be a USB stick.

One thing you need to do whern using the sdcard to windows from the MX1

1) Go into storage settings and at the top right are 3 vertical dots. Click this and select USB settings. CHange it from MTP device to Mass Storage.
                  2) No go turn on USB.
                  If you don;t do this the sdcard wont shows as a removable drive.

Now you should see 2 removable drives show up now. Internal sd and external. If not then you maybe right and something is wrong with the unit.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X