iMito MX1 Finless 1.4 and usb wifi adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iMito MX1 Finless 1.4 and usb wifi adapter

Reading threads about the MK808 I came across a lot of people using usb wifi adapters based on the Realtek chipset and thought it would be nice if I could get them to work with the MX1. I thought since there were kernel/rom similarities with the mk808 and MX1 that I'd be able to use the modules already made here: http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechfo...start=70#p3777.

I have a Belkin N300 micro adapter which is based on a Realtek chip, with the 8192cu.ko module being the correct driver...however I haven't been able to get it to work with my MX1. Does anyone know if the mk808 modules will work with the MX1 rom or how to get them to work?

If I can get this to work then I should be able to get a much better connection (the adapter gives me 300 mbps on my laptop).

EDIT:
    I guess I posted too early since I just managed to get it to work!!

Did it one more time and it finally got going.

Now I have a 300 mbps connection

For anyone else who wants to try, just download the correct module from the link above (mostly Realtek based chips) and replace rkwifi.ko with the new module.

Do you know the part number of the adapter you got. It seems there may be a few
    Originally posted by fl4r3 View Post
    Reading threads about the MK808 I came across a lot of people using usb wifi adapters based on the Realtek chipset and thought it would be nice if I could get them to work with the MX1. I thought since there were kernel/rom similarities with the mk808 and MX1 that I'd be able to use the modules already made here: http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechfo...start=70#p3777.

I have a Belkin N300 micro adapter which is based on a Realtek chip, with the 8192cu.ko module being the correct driver...however I haven't been able to get it to work with my MX1. Does anyone know if the mk808 modules will work with the MX1 rom or how to get them to work?

If I can get this to work then I should be able to get a much better connection (the adapter gives me 300 mbps on my laptop).

EDIT:
    I guess I posted too early since I just managed to get it to work!!

Did it one more time and it finally got going.

Now I have a 300 mbps connection

For anyone else who wants to try, just download the correct module from the link above (mostly Realtek based chips) and replace rkwifi.ko with the new module.

Comment

The one I have is F7D2102 8830ea06469 Rev. A00

You can get much cheaper adapters (there are quite a few listed in the link), but I had this one already since it plays nice with my Billion 7800N router.

Comment

Very nice. I was hoping that the usb wireless adapters would be compatible with the MX1. I'm going to try to this with an Edimax 150/n WLAN USB Adapter this evening. Did you just use the following steps to make it work?

1) copy rtl8192cu.ko to /system/lib/modules after you have mounted with rw (I usually run ESexplorer with root options)
        2) rename /system/lib/modules/rkwifi.ko -> /system/lib/modules/rkwifi.ko.old in case you need that later
        3) rename /system/lib/modules/rtl8192cu.ko -> /system/lib/modules/rkwifi.ko
        4) fix permitions, I do that from terminal, but I think you can do that from ESExplorer as well
        chmod go+r /system/lib/modules/rtl8192cu.ko
        chown root:root /system/lib/modules/rtl8192cu.ko

Thanks!

Comment

Yep those are the same instructions, although for step 4 I just used es explorer (long clicking the file brings up some options, go to the very bottom to properties, near the permissions info click on the "change" box and then select all three boxes in the first column and then the top box in the second column). So you don't need to the chmod stuff (which I think contains a typo since it should be rkwifi.ko and not rtl8192cu.ko).

Also, you will need to turn wifi off and run "insmod /system/lib/modules/rkwifi.ko" with su permissions, then turn wifi on and it should be using the wifi adapter.

Sometimes it did revert back to the internal wifi on reboot, but since Finless' 1.4 rom has init.d support, I just made a file with the above commands (you can use Script Manager to do this if you want) and placed it in the init.d folder (same permission changes as done above) so it runs at boot. For some reason this solves it and has been working flawlessly so far!

Comment

Yep those are the same instructions, although for step 4 I just used es explorer (long clicking the file brings up some options, go to the very bottom to properties, near the permissions info click on the "change" box and then select all three boxes in the first column and then the top box in the second column). So you don't need to the chmod stuff (which I think contains a typo since it should be rkwifi.ko and not rtl8192cu.ko).

Also, you will need to turn wifi off and run "insmod /system/lib/modules/rkwifi.ko" with su permissions, then turn wifi on and it should be using the wifi adapter.
            I was able to change permissions on ES Explorer, but what is the best way to run the insmod command with SU permissions? Is this something that can be done from the Android Terminal Emulator? Thanks for your help!

Comment

I tried running the insmod command through Android Terminal Emulator with no luck. I enabled SU and ran the command 'insmod /system/lib/modules/rkwifi.ko'. I also tried it as ' su insmod /system/lib/modules/rkwifi.ko'. It kicked back the error that the file or directory was not found even though it's there, plain as day, in ES Explorer.

WiFi was turned off. I even tried rmmod /system/lib/modules/rkwifi.ko to make sure it was not in use to no avail. There is another rkwifi.ko file in there with a numeric extension (something like 3.0.16 or something).

Any ideas?

Comment

It should work in Terminal Emulator.

First enter 'su' on its own and press enter. The '$' sign should change to '#'. then enter the insmod command just as you've written. You won't get any feedback if it works, but it will show errors if it didn't. I think if it says 'failed (file exists)' then its ok because the that new rkwifi.ko module has already been initialised. Then you can close Terminal Emulator and turn wifi on.

There's a nice app I use to see the wifi connection stats (including speed) called Display Wifi IP Address (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...spWiFiIP&hl=en). You'll know its worked if the MAC address is different to what it was before.

Comment

It should work in Terminal Emulator.

First enter 'su' on its own and press enter. The '$' sign should change to '#'. then enter the insmod command just as you've written. You won't get any feedback if it works, but it will show errors if it didn't. I think if it says 'failed (file exists)' then its ok because the that new rkwifi.ko module has already been initialised. Then you can close Terminal Emulator and turn wifi on.

There's a nice app I use to see the wifi connection stats (including speed) called Display Wifi IP Address (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...spWiFiIP&hl=en). You'll know its worked if the MAC address is different to what it was before.
                  Thanks, got it. I think I just got my drivers mixed up as there were two RTL8192CU's posted in that thread. One worked, one didn't. Using Terminal Emulator, I'm able to insmod the driver and I get a much improved, very stable connection.

The problem I'm running into is when the device reboots (or needs to be reset from a lockup), the device reverts back to the internal WiFi. I have renamed the rtl8192cu.ko -> rkwifi.ko. I created a script using the Script Manager and placed it in the init.d folder, but it still comes up as the internal device wifi. Can you share what is in your script or any additional steps I should take?

Comment

Originally posted by ApocalypseSticks View Post
                    Thanks, got it. I think I just got my drivers mixed up as there were two RTL8192CU's posted in that thread. One worked, one didn't. Using Terminal Emulator, I'm able to insmod the driver and I get a much improved, very stable connection.

The problem I'm running into is when the device reboots (or needs to be reset from a lockup), the device reverts back to the internal WiFi. I have renamed the rtl8192cu.ko -> rkwifi.ko. I created a script using the Script Manager and placed it in the init.d folder, but it still comes up as the internal device wifi. Can you share what is in your script or any additional steps I should take?

Hello did you ever get this working? and not going back to internal wifi on reboot? I am going to order a WN823N that is based on the same chipset and have a go at making it work

Comment

hello, i have a rtl8188cu and i tried the procedure with the driver found in this thread. after the insmod command the wifi adapter blinks its led for 1 second but it doesn't show me any connection. Maybe is it the wrong driver? i tried several drivers but this is the only that appears to work... anyone has this chipset?

thx

edit: problem solved. flashing the finless 1.7a the wifi usb works
                      Last edited by eRommel; 06-01-2013, 11:45.

Comment

Working...
                      X