This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imito MX2 is a useless device

I have tried everything possible, but this device is a piece of crap. I have now wasted about $120 on nothing. It will not stream HD content from anywhere - not from the internet, not from my local drives. I might be able to to make it play with the content stored on the device, but what the hell is the point of that? I have tried my heart out with this thing and ended up with a glitchy, laggy, crappy device.

Looks like I am picking up another boxee box so at least I can stream content to my TV.....

You got bigger issues if you paid for it $120

Comment

Re: Imito MX2 is a useless device

$90 for the mx2 and the air mouse with shipping, $20 for a USB Ethernet adaptor because it can't stream over WiFi worth a crap, and $10 for an HDMI adaptor that I needed for the "setup".

Total = $120.

Thanks for the input......

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by rynno1974 View Post
        $90 for the mx2 and the air mouse with shipping, $20 for a USB Ethernet adaptor because it can't stream over WiFi worth a crap, and $10 for an HDMI adaptor that I needed for the "setup".

Total = $120.

Thanks for the input......

Where did you shop Futureshop?
        Anyways, for $50 great device.
        Your post did not require any help since you'r done with it anyway

Comment

Originally posted by lifeisfun View Post
          Where did you shop Futureshop?
          Anyways, for $50 great device.
          Your post did not require any help since you'r done with it anyway
          How do you figure its a great device for $50? Does it matter how much it costs if it doesn't work? I would love one person to prove they are able to stream HD video over a home network and stream HD over the internet - even at 720p.

Comment

Sorry that you're having such problems. I've got the MX1, which is the same hardware in a different case. I am using Finless 1.5 and routinely stream 720p from icefilms and 1channel no problem. This is via wifi using XBMC XAF custom build. So perhaps the quality control varies on these devices, or maybe they're picky about network settings. Or perhaps it's the video player you're using (I use MX Player).

Comment

My MX1 works great

My MX1 works great, 720p content is playable using local network, navi-x and isefilms. I use BS player for local network and MX player as external player with XBMC. XBMC doesn't work all the time but it works.

Comment

One man's junk is another man's treasure!

Personally I think these devices are cool for the price. I just don't expect them to be a $300 full blown TV player device. What we have now will only get better with time. I think devices like TiVo, etc better watch out!

I remember not long ago a friend of mine that is a TV freak had 2 freakin high end PC's sitting next to his TV to do what we are doing today for $60. With the new RK3188 sticks coming I think we will see things get much better!

Bob
                "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                  One man's junk is another man's treasure!

Personally I think these devices are cool for the price. I just don't expect them to be a $300 full blown TV player device. What we have now will only get better with time. I think devices like TiVo, etc better watch out!

I remember not long ago a friend of mine that is a TV freak had 2 freakin high end PC's sitting next to his TV to do what we are doing today for $60. With the new RK3188 sticks coming I think we will see things get much better!

Bob
                  First of all, I want to thank you Bob for all the support you provide - this forum is amazing, and your ROMs are great. I appreciate the help and support everyone has given me in my short time here. I guess I just expected too much from this little guy. HD streaming just seems to be a little too big a challenge for it. I have managed to get it working for local network content - basically I needed to hardwire the MX2 and the PC that is hosting the files. Things seem pretty good for now. I can stream Movies and TV, but only in SD. I guess I am spoiled because I cant stand SD anymore. I need my HD

I would gladly pick up a newer device (I had been looking at the MINIX NEO X5) but I am gun shy now that whatever I might pick up to replace this one will have the same old problems. That will result in 2 things:

1) Me being out another $100 or so and being angry about it, and
                  2) My wife saying "I told you those little things were no good"

Not sure which is worse.......

Comment

I think maybe your expecting a little more than the current tech can provide. I would not get a Neo X5 as all these devices are dual core RK3066. For what your expecting I think the new RK3188 quads will meet the need. Also realize without a custom kernel, your up-scaled 720 anyway!

Then we all patch kernels to 1080, and guess what????.... the device cant keep up. Wifi is to low to stream 1080 HD, and some ethernet adapters cant either! Why do you think NONE of the manufacturers support a 1080 kernel native? It can't handle it will without extreme overclocking!

We are all hoping the next gen 4 cores will do what we need.

But get ready for this! I bet anyone a dollar they will still not have DTS/AC3 and HDMI pass-through! I just have a feeling they wont! Bet me on it SOMEONE

Anyway.... As I said in a short time you will have what you want I hope!

Bob

Comment

Yeah, I think I was spoiled with my boxee box. It has streamed everything and anything since day one over wifi and never caused me any grief. It has had terrible support (abbandoned by boxee for some reason) and wasn't the prettiest interface but it worked well. Too bad it cost 3x as much as an android pc

Looking forward to the next gen devices for sure........

One more point. I think one of the issues for users like me is the vast ammount of "different" mini pc out there. It is hard to tell when a "new" device is really new, or when it is just a repackage of an existing device. Thats the nice thing with retail type devices, the specs and details are a little more clear.....

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by rynno1974 View Post

One more point. I think one of the issues for users like me is the vast ammount of "different" mini pc out there. It is hard to tell when a "new" device is really new, or when it is just a repackage of an existing device. Thats the nice thing with retail type devices, the specs and details are a little more clear.....

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
                        Welcome to the China "copy" market!

In the end, other than Wifi chips used... Almost ALL these sticks are 100% the same!

Not a one of them will out perform another in any reasonable manner! They are basically all Rockchip reference boards with some different wifi or other hardware added!

Performance has ONLY come by user kernels and ROMs. And even then we can only go so far.

Bob

Comment

With Bob's ROM, I have been able to stream 1080p movies (not sure about bitrate but they are about 5gigs) using the libstagefright XBMC build (disabled the blacklisting in the advancedsettings.xml)... 10gig movies were still choppy but I don't have that many that size, and I bet the next build will be fine...

If you expected everything to just work smoothly, then these kind of devices are not for you. Stick with an AppleTV or something (which BTW, has very comparable hardware). These devices need tinkering and even I don't use it as my daily driver ( I use a pivos xios DS running linux).

Sounds like your nagging wife may be your biggest problem, not this device.

Comment

Closed by request of the OP.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                            X